• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Serious getting your blood pressure taken phobia

Wait until you have heart surgery.

Then you'll see that taking your blood pressure regularly ain't so bad after all.:thmbsp:
 
guess I had that when I was into pharmaceutic testing :) I was once canceled for an P-test because of a very little BP over the limit for testers. from that day on I really was like u, only while the permission tests for testpersons. When I was in a study, everything was normal ... but while the pre tests the participation was dependent of the result beeing within the tolerance range I had really the problem of rising BP from try to try... guess just the fear of a bad result and recusal for the P-test leaded into this...
it was the question of earning a few K within three weeks or not :)




At the risk of sounding stupid, I have this serious problem of getting my blood pressure taken. It started a long time ago when I was about 18. I got my blood pressure taken by a doctor and it was a little high. About 137/94. Not great but not serious given the environment. So he decided to take it again and it just kept going up and up. This scared the hell out of me and from then on I would dread going to the doctor, dentist and any other health professional. Here I am at 49 and still have this phobia. Again I know it sounds stupid that doesn't share this problem, but trust me it VERY real to me. Any thoughts?
 
I think everybody gets "Clinic Jitters" but if you will use a home monitoring device like has been suggested, you'll get a better grab on what you're running. That's what I do.
Hopefully I won't be "MODERATED" with this statement but with this particular election cycle, BPs are bound to be going up. I know mine is.
Also, I posted here a while back about perhaps a more natural, herbal method of controling BP but only got minimum response. Whenever you look on line, almost everything helps lower bllod pressure and we know that just ain't so....
Hard to figure out the truth from the jive.
My doc started me on a med called 5mg Bystolic and it's just not working well for me.
Too many side effects like head ache and stomache ache.
Still looking for a good herbal remedy......
 
Also, I posted here a while back about perhaps a more natural, herbal method of controling BP but only got minimum response.

Did you want us to make something up?

You got minimal responses because there are no herbal remedies for high blood pressure that are guaranteed to work on everybody. Eat right, watch your waistline, and get some exercise. That's all you can do. If you were destined to have high blood pressure, that's just the way it is.

I take a bunch of blood pressure and cholesterol medicine since my heart surgery. One day I asked my brother-in-law, who is in the medical field, about the drugs I was taking. He smiled and said, "Pick your poison. If the BP and clogged arteries don't kill you, the medicine you take to prevent them will, eventually. There's no way around it."

I think he's right.:yes:
 
Did you want us to make something up?

You got minimal responses because there are no herbal remedies for high blood pressure that are guaranteed to work on everybody. Eat right, watch your waistline, and get some exercise. That's all you can do. If you were destined to have high blood pressure, that's just the way it is.

I take a bunch of blood pressure and cholesterol medicine since my heart surgery. One day I asked my brother-in-law, who is in the medical field, about the drugs I was taking. He smiled and said, "Pick your poison. If the BP and clogged arteries don't kill you, the medicine you take to prevent them will, eventually. There's no way around it."

I think he's right.:yes:

Yep. I was hoping somebody could grind me up something and send it to me.....
 
Take a stiff drink....It will help your blood pressure and getting it taken at the same time!

Wrong advice drinking increases your blood pressure.
I went to a new doctor for the first time and they said I had high blood pressure, prescribed a medicine that made me feel like ****. I went back to the doctor and asked her to prescribe something different and she said just keep taking it. I flushed that medicine down the toilet, stopped drinking and cut way back on the salt and fried food and my blood pressure is normal now.

BTW i love a good drink!!
 
Any doctor that attempts to cure you with medication only, without questioning
your eating and exercising habits is wasting your time and money... Good luck!
 
You got minimal responses because there are no herbal remedies for high blood pressure that are guaranteed to work on everybody.

938-022~Marijuana-Posters.jpg
 
I suffer from the 'whitecoat hypertension' malady as well. Heck, it was my doctor years ago who told me that. It's for real. I test higher in the office than at home. My current doctor is smart enough to take my home readings into consideration to look at the entire picture of my health. A one or two time check in the office alone isn't enough.
 
Thread resurrection since there's no need to start a new one for the same topic.

I've been feeling, well, stressed all to hell since dad landed in the hospital. He's still there, but we nearly lost him. Congestive heart failure means this is only delaying the inevitable.

Couple that with my concerns at work (bad boss, we all know the type) and stresses in my marriage as well (me and wifey are fine, the stepdaughter is killing us) and my bp has been VERY high.

I'm 42, work out on an elliptical 20 to 30 minutes every day, and my bp was testing 158/80 in the mornings upon rising. We are hoping the arm cuff is too small, because I'm a muscular 5'10'' 220 lbs, and it small to average adult, plus it is rather beat up. One can hope.

I'm not sleeping well, and I know I have apnea. Have been having what I think are pre ventricular contractions (pvc's) which feel like for a split second that all the air is sucked out of your lungs.

I suffer from extreme white coat syndrome, and even at home, when wifey rips that velcro, I get tense.

Going to doctor this week, and see what's up.

When I'm cranking out 30 on the elliptical, I sweat, I huff and puff, but feel fine.
Heart disease is rampant in my family, so I'm aware of what I'm up against.
Genetics are a bitch.

Anyone looked into 5 grams of arginine pre-workout? Good science behind this.
 
While I don't have that particular phobia, I can understand your pain. I do have a minor blood pressure problem and it is definitely exacerbated by the "white coat syndrome." What I did was to invest $65 for a good blood pressure monitor and I have used the machine at home at various times throughout the day and logged my blood pressure.
What I have found is that I DON'T have unusually high blood pressure, even though it registers high at the doctor's office. If I would have listened to the doctor based on the infrequent tests at his office, I would have been on the medicine he prescribed for no real reason.
So my advice is to do yourself a favor and buy one off of Amazon or your local drug store and use it in the comfort of your own home. I think it will go a long way to reducing your stress when going to the doctor.
And trust me, many people have phobias for man different reasons - I am sure folks will chime in here and confirm that fact.

Great advice..I have had historicly slightly high blood pressure and seeing the doc raises it more, I actually had a surgery cancelled due to it. The meter is a good thing, you can try different things to bring it down, sort of training yourself. Its funny but when it was time for the surgery my bp was perfect..go figure, and not terrible long ago I had a trip to the emergency for kidney stones and the bp was good..nurses were surprised..me too..lol
Keep working at, you can overcome the fears and with some work you can control the bp.
Hibiscus or hawthorn berry tea will help your bp in general.
 
Stress & Stess is the most major factor a lot of times, ow!

Yea, genetics play an important role in some illnesses, but if you do what you can to relax & just take it easy a lot of the BP problems will subside. Do get that checkup & if meds are prescribed take them & monitor your pressure along with side effects.

I am on two BP meds & a statin to regulate my pressure & HDL. I need to do better in exercising, but my knees just hurt some awful most of the time. I do walk a lot in the home & also I visit stores like Walmart where you can really get a nice walk in when you scour the corners of it!

My prayer is that nothing severe is going to set in on ya! I am a survivor of CHF & I thank the Lord!

Rome
 
Rome, your story is definitely one to be thankful about. Very glad you were able to overcome what was a grim situation.

I really think my heart is fine, and that current events have made me even more tense than usual, but I have a great doctor, another audio nut, and we'll get it figured out.

As for your knees, be sure to look into elliptical machines. I have a rebuilt right knee, and cannot jog. The elliptical replicates cross country skiing, and is a real ass-buster without hurting the joints. Highly recommended!

Check craigslist, and look for a quality machine. The good ones are usually pretty steep. Precor, Nordictrack, etc. I got mine at a yard sale, very large girl was selling it, so I knew she hadn't worn it out, har har. Cost me 150. Worth every penny.
 
As for your knees, be sure to look into elliptical machines. I have a rebuilt right knee, and cannot jog. The elliptical replicates cross country skiing, and is a real ass-buster without hurting the joints. Highly recommended!

Blood pressure's gotta be high to feed that honking great chin of yours ... <G>

I also have no knees - or at least very little of the originals. Full replacement on one (and that's the good one now), two arthos on the other with huge chunks of floating bodies in the joint.

Got me a Schwinn Airdyne with about 5000 on the odo. Start out slow to loosen up for a minute or so, and then let er rip for 5 in 20 - keeps things working. Not ready for the walker yet anyways ...

Haven't checked my BP in 10 years. What I don't know can't hurt ... urk!
 
Blood pressure's gotta be high to feed that honking great chin of yours ... <G>

I also have no knees - or at least very little of the originals. Full replacement on one (and that's the good one now), two arthos on the other with huge chunks of floating bodies in the joint.

Got me a Schwinn Airdyne with about 5000 on the odo. Start out slow to loosen up for a minute or so, and then let er rip for 5 in 20 - keeps things working. Not ready for the walker yet anyways ...

Haven't checked my BP in 10 years. What I don't know can't hurt ... urk!


Heh heh, as a longtime Motorhead fan, I love me some Lemmy.
The man is full of wisdom, tho you might not at first think it.

Schwinn Airdyne is another good one, Rome, Skizo is right on that.

An object in motion tends to stay in motion. Ain't that the truth!

Get that bp checked, skizo. Need your gardening prowess around in these Lady Gaga times. :D

Wife brought home a bp cuff, a good one, and a large dark chocolate bar (full of vessel dialating arginine!) and measured me. 143/86.

The cuff was indeed too small on the old one, but still too high for 42 years of age.
 
another lemmy fan here,not so much a fan of high blood pressure tho.i had a personal heath scare @ 54.broke my ft rideing my Harley and spent 2 months immobile pretty much.had no history of HBP until one day after I resumed walking.near passed out suddenly,so went in to old sawbones and bp was way up 155/102. long story short the doc took me of bp meds after 6 months as I immediately started walking an hr a day..have a monitor now and my morning reading is always around 135/78.
exersize I feel is key... goodluck
hunter
 
Didn't they just raise the limits to what is considered "high" blood pressure? Again??

Keep in mind, the "professionals" are still pretty much making it up as they go along ...

Not trying to encourage bad health - just saying good health is relative. I look at all the infections I've not been exposed to sitting in a doctor's office, as well as avoiding the results of un-necessary medical procedures gone horribly wrong, as compensation for any relatively benign issues. I'll takes my chances on the rest.

It's not like I go out of my way to live dangerously - now excuse me as I have some smoked pork chops on a bed of candied yams smothered in marshmallow sauce and pumpkin pie ala mode calling for my attention.

(I can hear my arteries hardening just thinking about it. Have the paddles ready! ) :D
 
I'm not sleeping well, and I know I have apnea. Have been having what I think are pre ventricular contractions (pvc's) which feel like for a split second that all the air is sucked out of your lungs.

If I understand this right, you have experienced chest pains and shortness of breath?

I used to have chest pains on a regular basis, sometimes they would take me to my knees (and I am not a wimp to pain). I've also been known to wake in the morning unable to even climb the stairs for a lack of breath and being able to inhale. I suspected apnea but I did not fit the profile and the doctor did not follow through.

One day, feeling very ill, I went to the doctor, had an EKG, and she insisted I take an ambulance immediately. I refused the ambulance, knowing this was a frequent and very long-term problem. Over night stay in the cardiac ward, stress test in the morning (second time in 3 years) and everything was fine except a birth defect. Upon questioning the cardiologist, he confirmed apnea could do this.

Tested, positive, in treatment for 1.5 years with minimum success. One thing that has changed though is no more chest pains after at least 15 years. Shortness of breath is also 80% resolved.

Get tested if you suspect a problem. Still working on mine.
 
Back
Top Bottom