• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Service info for TECHNICS SU-Z1 (Parts List)

audio_exp

Member
Hello, I'm working on one of these little units and can't seem to find a "Real" service manual with a parts list.
The only info I can find is a basic schematic but it does not have Capacitor, Diode or Resistor values?
Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
The schematic on hifiengine looks complete. Unfortunately there are a few holes. Take note that R313=3.9k, R403=470, R401=120k (below D403). As usual, the values for the right channel are the same as the ones for the left channel.
 
When I got the unit the STK2028 was dead, I replaced and now have audio but I have a strange issue with the unit.
When I turn the treble control up or volume up it distorts and draws a lot of current? Some kind of feedback issue on both channels.
Sounds somewhat OK at low volume.
Anything I should look for?
 
It is possible that the amplifier self oscillates when he get out of clipping. It is easy to see this if you feed the amp with a 1kHz triangular signal, drive the amp at clipping (no load at the output) and observe the output signal at pins 3 and 14 of the STK2028. If you see oscillation, you might increase C329 and C330 to something like 47pF or 56pF.
 
It is possible that the amplifier self oscillates when he get out of clipping. It is easy to see this if you feed the amp with a 1kHz triangular signal, drive the amp at clipping (no load at the output) and observe the output signal at pins 3 and 14 of the STK2028. If you see oscillation, you might increase C329 and C330 to something like 47pF or 56pF.

OK I don't have any pF caps on hand so I'll have to order some.

Here are the amplifier symptoms:

1. When you first power up with volume at 0 and no input the meters go full scale and after 2 seconds they fall to back to zero.

2. With 8 ohm load, No input, tone controls flat, loudness switch off when you raise the volume control to about 2-3 it starts to squeal, meters go full scale and draws lots of current.
Definitely some kind of feedback/oscillation type problem and it is more sensitive to using the treble control.

I do have it on a current limited supply and only have it on for a few seconds for testing purposes as I don’t want to fry the new STK2028!

Could it be any diodes or small transistors, anything else I can look for while I wait for the capacitors?
 
Back
Top Bottom