• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Setting up my new SPEC rack!!

jas282

New Member
hey guys! i'm brand new here, and i must say, this is an amazing forum. "all audio, no attitude" is a motto i can get behind!

ok, now for the juice... i paid WAY to much for a pioneer SPEC/rack including the following:

SPEC-1
SPEC-4 :music:
SG-9500 Equalizer
RG-1 Dynamic Processor Expander NR 110-240

so, i've not even received them as yet, but i'm trying to figure out the wiring... my inputs are a CD player and a mixing board from a pair of turntables.

so, what is the best order to hook these up? how many sets of RCAs am I going to need? i'm thinking the equalizer is more for show... and I don't even really know what the "Expander" does... are these components even worth hooking up, or should I keep them for aesthetics?

again, many thanks in advance,:thmbsp:
jason
 
Register to hide this ad
the RG-1 - I like it on some music, not all music. Better the recording, less chance I use it, tho of course I leave it on for the pretty lights.
The SG-9500 - pretty much a personal judgment. Some fall into the eq's and even tone controls are not necessary if you have proper synergy, probably more say eq is great, especially for fixing some room problems you may have that are not easily corrected.
If you crank up the tone controls, you'll love the eq.
If I remember this correctly, to connect them so you can use them both,
Spec 1 Tape 1 Play(out) to the RG-1 Output.
RG-1 input to the SG-9500 Output
SG9500 input to Spec 1 Tape Rec(in)

To use the eq and RG-1, just flip up the Tape Monitor 1 switch. No tape mon switch, no eq or rg-1. You can also leave tape 1 on and turn off rg-1 or eq on the piece itself.

Connect your cd player to the tape monitor on the eq or the RG-1 - use tape monitor switch on whichever you hook it up to to play
Turntables - not familiar with mixing board, but there are 2 phono jacks on the Spec 1. Phono 2 has a variable adjustment on it, tho still not enough for a MC cartridge. I am taking for granted you have to plug them into a phono switch? Please, do not plug anything into the phono switches other then turntables. There is a reason the cd player sounds like crap thru a phono switch

Nice system. I highly recommend you look into having at least the Spec 1 and Spec 4 re-capped. You will be rewarded with more detail and clarity, imo.
I re-capped my SG-9500 and RG-1 also, could not tell you if that made a difference, but did make me feel better anyway.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to AK! You will find plenty of Spec Gear help here.
Regards,
Jim
 
don... wow, thank you. this is the exact answer i am looking for. you rule! supposedly this one WAS just recapped (hence why i overpaid) ... any way to check? i'm planning on doing echowars DC offset check...

jim- thanks! i look forward to coming up to speed here.. and contributing positively, more than just asking dumb questions...
 
Someone in California is selling a full SPEC rack as well on CL. They don't have a price listed, but do note "I know what this is worth"...

Here is a list of what he is selling...Did you by chance purchase it from him (I am not sure where you live, you should add that in your info *hint*) :)

RT-707 Reel To Reel
Spec 1 Preamplifier
Spec 4 Amp
SG-9800 EQ
TX-7800 Tuner
JA-R2 Spec Equipment Rack
HPM-1500 Speakers
Pioneer PL-630 turntable
 
If you're happy with what you got, then you didn't pay too much. :thmbsp:

Enjoy that sweet system.
 
Except for the lower end tuner, that is a nice system. It will need a bit of restoration activity to bring it up to full speed...a couple Gs woudl be my guess for the lot.

Enjoy,
Rich P


Someone in California is selling a full SPEC rack as well on CL. They don't have a price listed, but do note "I know what this is worth"...

Here is a list of what he is selling...Did you by chance purchase it from him (I am not sure where you live, you should add that in your info *hint*) :)

RT-707 Reel To Reel
Spec 1 Preamplifier
Spec 4 Amp
SG-9800 EQ
TX-7800 Tuner
JA-R2 Spec Equipment Rack
HPM-1500 Speakers
Pioneer PL-630 turntable
 
yeah, i paid full price off ebay, ALTHOUGH i'm in cali (los angeles, updated in the profile...=)

yeah, that's a nice one... i paid 1200 for my 4 components... the spec-4 is supposedly totally redone... so we shall see!!!

ok, best,
jason

Someone in California is selling a full SPEC rack as well on CL. They don't have a price listed, but do note "I know what this is worth"...

Here is a list of what he is selling...Did you by chance purchase it from him (I am not sure where you live, you should add that in your info *hint*) :)

RT-707 Reel To Reel
Spec 1 Preamplifier
Spec 4 Amp
SG-9800 EQ
TX-7800 Tuner
JA-R2 Spec Equipment Rack
HPM-1500 Speakers
Pioneer PL-630 turntable
 
Can't help you on the price/value question but I totally COVET a Spec system !

Way jealous !

Enjoy when it arrives.

PMing you
 
trust me, I don't rule - glad I could help tho. I have a Spec 2, but would love to stumble into a Spec 4 some day.
 
The CL guy came out of the closet on the price for the all the SPEC/Pioneer equipment...three grand...ouch! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom