• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Setup for both HiFi and Movies/TV

Tdaut

New Member
Hey yall,

I recently upgraded to schiit equipment (vadar/saga, mani and bifrost2). Speakers are vintage KEF C15's w/ matching pair of C200SW's

My ps4 is plugged into the bifrost for movies, tv, and gaming through my stereo setup.

Are there any speakers i should upgrade to that will work well for both movies and my vinyl setup?

There are obvious major differences between my setup and an AV receiver but I feel like with the bifrost, my setup is probably better than a lot of AV stereo receivers out there, but definitely not all of them. Will i just have to buy a separate receiver for movies/gaming to get a satisfying result, even though i dont want to add any more speakers to my setup? Or is there a way to keep most of what I have to use for both hifi and movies/tv by upgrading only the speakers?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
You first need to determine what you think you are lacking. If it not the multi-channel aspect then what is it? Only you can answer that. Our TV is on a 2 channel set-up but I do not expect it to sound like a multi-channel. It’s optical out of the TV>>>SMSL Amp/DAC>>> some Klipsch BS’s. It is also used for day to day background music and does fine. I haven’t heard your speakers but with a quick search they seem kind of small, of course that depends on your space and placement.

Edit: I have used KG4’s, Big Polk Towers, KLH-17’s and a few different B&W towers for a TV/Muisc systems in the past. They all sounded decent. Asking “what speaker” has to many variables.
 
Last edited:
So you have a 2 channel system with KEF speakers and matched subs.
Is there something you don't like with your existing system?
 
So you have a 2 channel system with KEF speakers and matched subs.
Is there something you don't like with your existing system?

So up until a month ago, i was using a NAD 7155 with a $65 dac i bought at a local audio shop and the same speakers. In comparison, my new setup is very clear sounding, but when I watch movies, the music get SO loud I have to turn it down but at the lower volume its impossible to hear the dialog. I figured this may because my systems not exactly designed to sound great for AV use - the other thing it could be is the bifrost might just not be the dac for me?

I had a friend over recently who heard my system and he agreed that the only piece of my chain that may be in need of upgrading are my speakers ( i like the speakers a lot but im afraid that there are new speakers which sound better for just a little more money than what my KEF's costed ($550 for the stereo subs and C15's).

of course i have several options here - i would really like to rule out having to buy a separate receiver for using my PS4
 
Last edited:
but when I watch movies, the music get SO loud I have to turn it down but at the lower volume its impossible to hear the dialog.
I have found this to be fairly normal in my 2ch TV set-ups I have been using the last 6 or 7 yrs. not an issue with my full blown HT or 3.1 set-ups.
 
You first need to determine what you think you are lacking. If it not the multi-channel aspect then what is it? Only you can answer that. Our TV is on a 2 channel set-up but I do not expect it to sound like a multi-channel. It’s optical out of the TV>>>SMSL Amp/DAC>>> some Klipsch BS’s. It is also used for day to day background music and does fine. I haven’t heard your speakers but with a quick search they seem kind of small, of course that depends on your space and placement.

Edit: I have used KG4’s, Big Polk Towers, KLH-17’s and a few different B&W towers for a TV/Muisc systems in the past. They all sounded decent. Asking “what speaker” has to many variables.

In response to the first part of your message, i totally agree. Sorry for being vague. Hopefully my last post elaborated a bit more!

In response to your edit, thank you for the recommendations! again, sorry for being vague!

I guess room size might be important to add to this as well: setup is in the living room which is pretty long and narrow but when youre sitting in listening position on the couch, to your right the kitchen is open so the room is actually not narrow. definitely a bit larger than your average "small room"
 
I have found this to be fairly normal in my 2ch TV set-ups I have been using the last 6 or 7 yrs. not an issue with my full blown HT or 3.1 set-ups.

Do you think there could be any 2 channel (maybe 2.1 if i can figure out how to hook up a sub to the vidar - as, right now, my subs connect to the Vidar and then then C15's connect to the subs) that wouldnt have this issue like your HT or 3.1 setup?
 
In response to your edit, thank you for the recommendations! again, sorry for being vague!
Those where not recommendations, more of a “just about any decent speaker should work” thing. Speakers are kind of a personal choice, you need to figure out what will trip your trigger. As an example myslef and many others love Klipsch speakers, just as many hate them :dunno:
 
Do you think there could be any 2 channel (maybe 2.1 if i can figure out how to hook up a sub to the vidar - as, right now, my subs connect to the Vidar and then then C15's connect to the subs) that wouldnt have this issue like your HT or 3.1 setup?

My HT and 3.1 never had dedicated subs. It had Polk RT2000Ps. If I was trying to run that set up I would go bigger on the speakers and drop the subs (I am going with my Bifrost, Saga+, new Aegir and new Tekton PS15’s in our new space).

Edit: this will probably not get rid of the loud vs quite parts of video.
 
My HT and 3.1 never had dedicated subs. It had Polk RT2000Ps. If I was trying to run that set up I would go bigger on the speakers and drop the subs (I am going with my Bifrost, Saga+, new Aegir and new Tekton PS15’s in our new space).

Thank you for your advice! very much appreciated!
 
My HT and 3.1 never had dedicated subs. It had Polk RT2000Ps. If I was trying to run that set up I would go bigger on the speakers and drop the subs (I am going with my Bifrost, Saga+, new Aegir and new Tekton PS15’s in our new space).

Edit: this will probably not get rid of the loud vs quite parts of video.

Would you got with larger bookshelf speakers or floorstanding? I know the main differences between them but dont have any experience with floorstanding - most seem to large to keep in my living room. Maybe there are some more compact floorstanding speakers to check out?
 
Stereo speakers should be full range with broad dispersion or at least uniform dispersion, with low distortion and great definition. HT speakers are all about Dynamics and clarity meaning very controlled dispersion. This where the rub comes in. Broad dispersion versus very controlled more narrow dispersion. I prefer full line arrays, but they require a lot of costly power. So that means well controlled Horn loaded speakers. Klipsch or JBL. I prefer the JBL 4430 and 4435 for Stereo, but for HT I would choose the Klipsch Cornwall. Klispch is almost 4 times more efficient. Meaning power required. Where the JBL need the power. You would want the series II with Crites improved HF tweeter or a Model 3 Cornwall which has much better power handling than the previous series II Cornwall in the High Frequencies. Sure there are other speakers that will do the job requiring more power or suffer from lack of clarity or dynamic range. My line arrays only produce 113 db at 16 ft together. But as I never listen over 105 db I am fine for the stereo system at 100 watts per channel. I can get the same levels with 1/4 the power with my HT hybrid line arrays where only the tweeters are in the line 30 watts appox. If you use JBLs 30 watts will give you the same performance. and you can do the same thing with Cornwalls with less that 10 watts. Now JBL makes very diffection HT speakers too in the consumer line. 590 as I remember the distortion produced is almost ten times high er than the 4430 and 4435. At HT levels.
 
Back
Top Bottom