• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sherlock, Season II... disappointing?

pmsummer

simul justus et peccator
holmes-and-watson.jpg


I have been eagerly anticipating the second round of Stephen Moffat's 'Sherlock' on PBS. The first go-around was magnificent, with a superb cliffhanger ending.

But the first installment of the second series seemed overwrought, with a poor resolution to last year's 'cliffhanger'. Mrs. Summer agrees.

Not that it was bad, it just was a let down... rather like a boomerang that comes back badly.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd far rather have watched reruns of the Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett than this tarted up hyper-techo psychodrama from the BBC.
 
Whatever. :boring:

Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and cast display chemistry that is rarely seen these days. This is by far the creepiest and most fun Moriarty ever.
The episode moves along nicely. Pays homage to the original. It was a nice touch for Holmes to declare "Shame on you John Watson. Mrs. Hudson leave Bakerstreet? England would fall." Lots of light hearted moments, jokes and comedy. Moriarty breaks the fourth wall by making fun of the special effects...

The first episode of the second season was well worth the wait.


:thmbsp:
 
I'd far rather have watched reruns of the Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett than this tarted up hyper-techo psychodrama from the BBC.


. . . . I have to agree. Saw the first 2 and found it overly farcical and *very* amateurish. Not for me. I do still *love* the Jeremy Brett version from 80's/90's but haven't seen them in well over 15 years. (I'd actually like to see them again but I doubt its still aired much here in the states. Not sure about DVD.)

~Peace,
Dave
 
Got to see it simulcast in our restored historic theater on the big screen with my daughter and a large and involved audience. It was great!
 
Having already seen it, the last episode is mind blowingly good. Layer upon layer of mysteries unpeeled as it goes along. Well written.

.dew.
 
Having seen the previous episode, I was better prepared for this incarnation of the Sherlock Holmes story, The Hound of the Baskervilles. Entertaining? Yes, I'll give it that credit and reasonably well acted.

I still find the integration of all the techo-fluff irritating (is there anything sacred from the influence of the information age?) and the butchering of the original A. C. Doyle storyline.
 
I still find the integration of all the techo-fluff irritating (is there anything sacred from the influence of the information age?) and the butchering of the original A. C. Doyle storyline.

If by techno fluff you mean the onscreen graphics, I think it is nicely done.

I like the modernization of the story. There is no need to tell the same story again, but with different actors, and in a different time period. That would be boring.



.-.-.-
 
It's all subjective- no doubt about it.

Have to admit- I can be a hard-case traditionalist. :D

I absolutely loved the 2006 series, Bleak House by Charles Dickens on Masterpiece Theatre. I wish they could've done this Sherlock Holmes the way that was done.
 
Sherlock, Season 2, episodes 2.2 and 2.3 were much better, IMHO, than 2.1 was. At the 1.1 and 1.3 level.

Sherlock-008.jpg


So... let the guessing begin. How did Holmes survive, or did he really?
 
Sherlock, Season 2, episodes 2.2 and 2.3 were much better, IMHO, than 2.1 was. At the 1.1 and 1.3 level.

Sherlock-008.jpg


So... let the guessing begin. How did Holmes survive, or did he really?

If they continue to follow the books, he is still alive and more episodes will appear.

As to how, I am guessing he had help from the lab tech, for starters.


.-.-.-
 
Sherlock, Season 2, episodes 2.2 and 2.3 were much better, IMHO, than 2.1 was. At the 1.1 and 1.3 level.

Sherlock-008.jpg


So... let the guessing begin. How did Holmes survive, or did he really?

I know. No guessing. It might become clear if you watch the last episode again. the clues are all over. Just assume that everything said is important.
 
I too was anticipating this season to finally air. The first in series two was a let down, but OK. The second one was a mess now the third seems to have made up for the lack luster previous two. Now have only viewed them once and another go through could change my opinion. I know the wife and I are going to watch the third episode Thursday again.

I really enjoyed the first go round last year. Thought the retelling and updating the stories was ...."BRILLIANT" to say the least!




Barney
 
If you are re-watching the last episode, look for odd things in the background and odd things said, and ask why.
 
S2, E1: my interest peaked & waned over the 90-minute stretch.
S2, E2: this one I liked from start to finish.

Looking forward to S2, E3: The Fall.
 
Back
Top Bottom