• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sherwood S8000 III Leave it alone Thread

c-atle-79bay

Super Member
These always are titled restore or what not, but in my case I'm not certain what to do. Ok, I am, based on some limited searches, which I'll reference here as I get to that step of the project.

I picked this unit up this weekend from the original owner. I had no idea about Sherwood before about 48 hours ago, nor that this unit is so regarded. I'd emailed the seller on a Dual 1019 in the swanky European box, and while on the road talked to her and she said she had the sherwood for sale. I instantly said yes, based on the the price she told me, granted the dual was priced a bit high for CL. Went straight over and found a perfect condition Sherwood, that she had just disconnected from daily active use.

The unit had a service and all new tubes in 1990, due to 1 dead channel and a leaky ... something that was unreadable on the repair invoice. Also have all the original paperwork and manual, all in pristine condition. Same with the dual too.

So far, in about 20 min of listening, everything is at 100% except for 1 dead dial lamp.

So what I know I will have to do.

-Read that at a minimum I need to update the coupling caps, will edit the reference thread later.

-clean the nobs and face, already very clean and a few seconds with some spit and paper towel on one corner produced good results.

-Compare it to my Fisher 500c

Pics to come.
 

Attachments

  • 2014-03-31 012 (1280x720).jpg
    2014-03-31 012 (1280x720).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 2014-03-31 013 (1280x720).jpg
    2014-03-31 013 (1280x720).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 2014-03-31 014 (1280x720).jpg
    2014-03-31 014 (1280x720).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I would put in some nice coupling caps (maybe 716Ps or better). I would also replace the diodes as they have been greatly improved over the years and they cost about a buck. I love Sherwood gear.
 
Was also going to add, the system originally played through a set of Ravinia speakers, which the daughter now has.


4650642951_d6df20b665_z.jpg
 
The coupling caps may be OK. If they are the brown epoxy looking ones, my S-7000 runs it's originals and they are fine. I've tested them, no leakage and they are still on value. If you can't test them, they probably ought to be replaced.

I'd replace the filter caps. All of mine were toast. If one of those goes bad, it can take out the power transformer, and that would be very expensive.

Love those speakers. How do they sound? They look friggin cool.
 
Agree w/ gadget73. I didn't find leaky paper caps in the ones I've restored. But I'd also add 10 ohm cathode resistors to the output tubes.

You really DON'T want to replace the coupling caps. The 8000 is jammed, especially around the controls.
 
yeah, thats a large part of why I was glad that the caps on my 7000 checked OK. Its not real fun to work on. Other than the can caps, I think I replaced the diodes, but mostly because I broke one, and 2 or 3 resistors that were off value. Everything else was fine, which is damned impressive for being over a half century old.
 
I wish I had the speakers, but do not, although I did ask. The 1966 Sherwood model listing had the s8000 and the ravina speaker were circled, so I assume those were the speakers they had, and I can only begin to imagine how good of condition they are likely in. I'm tempted to email the seller and say that if the daughter ever wants to part with them I'd be happy to take them.

I added photos, cleaned the right corner quickly with spit (those enzymes work wonders) and a paper towel and the oil came right off.

I don't hold much hope in the knobs, just suspect they will get a wee bit lither but not much. Might go to TSP but will start with dish soap or other mild degerents. Taking care of the remaining gilding.

This is the cleanest piece I think I've ever had, period.
 
The repair invoice said something about Leaky ??? that I can't make out. And it had one dead channel. Might have been replaced then, will have to take a photo of them once I take it apart.

Yes, NWMiner, did not realize how good of a deal I got on this guy until I got home. Granted, I was not able to test it.
 
The knobs do tend to get kind of yellowish. Two of mine are noticeably more yellow and the shape is slightly distorted compared to the others. They had an odd chalky buildup on them too that I was able to scrub off with a toothbrush and dish soap. They didn't really come back to white, but I didn't want to press my luck with it too much. Be glad if it doesn't have the worn ring around the volume control that a lot of them have. That looks kind of awful and its very hard to do anything about.
 
The knobs do tend to get kind of yellowish. Two of mine are noticeably more yellow and the shape is slightly distorted compared to the others. They had an odd chalky buildup on them too that I was able to scrub off with a toothbrush and dish soap. They didn't really come back to white, but I didn't want to press my luck with it too much. Be glad if it doesn't have the worn ring around the volume control that a lot of them have. That looks kind of awful and its very hard to do anything about.


That has got to be quite a bit of usage to get that worn ring. I cleaned one of the knobs, looks great but still ivory in color. So be it.
 
Leaky capacitor most likely.

Sure is a sharp system you've got there. Better hang on to that one...

Choices will need to be made soon, else the wife will make them for me.


I do know what speakers I'm sticking with, IMF "The Studio" so a bit depends on their drivability. But, given what folks say about this unit having a bit more punch than say the 500c, it should be a good match.
 
A little late to the party but congratulations on your purchase. It is beautiful and Sherwood was a great company with performance very similar to Fisher and HH Scott. The knobs do get a white crusty growth on them as do many knobs of that era. But most important is that the paint around the knobs appears to be in excellent condition. Most audio equipment of that era had the paint dissolved or worn away around the volume control and selector switch.

I do believe that Sherwood used early Mylar coupling capacitors for the output tubes. Good advice above on minimum restoration necessary.

Enjoy your excellent find! :thmbsp:
 
I can't wait to really listen too it. Still no chance yet. I will make sure to clean that face plate with care
So far I've only used a paper towel and spit and it shined right up.
 
I'm less that 1 min into Nirvana's In Bloom with this receiver on my main speakers............wow, I never knew that tubes could have such a full and rich bass response. Had to check the loudness and bass adjustments to made sure they were off and neutral.
 
With the right speakers, tube amps have a very nice full sound. With the wrong speakers, they tend to get muddy and dull sounding, or just run out of steam before the speaker wakes up.
 
Back
Top Bottom