• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shield wire for Fisher x202b Integrated tube

yves.didon

New Member
Hello Everyone,

I own a Fisher Kx200 and x202b and I m asking if you know where I can buy or find wire shield cable and also I am searching a potentiometer for the fisher x202b (the balance/dimension) because I have strange behavior with this control.

Regards,

Yves Didon
 

Attachments

  • 20230222_134253.jpg
    20230222_134253.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230218_095342.jpg
    20230218_095342.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 20
Register to hide this ad
Try Antique Electronics for the shielded cable. What sort of strange behavior from the control?

Dave
 
I'm going to try to explain clearly. When i listen stereo test music (that are testing the different channel Left / Right and both) i have only one channel OK (the left i think).
If i am :
on dimension mono : i can hearded the music on the both speaker but the balance center is not on the center of potentiometer
On dimension full stereo : if i put the balance in left i listen music on left / if i put the balance in right i have nothing.

and as i've explained the balance potentiometer center is not in the center / Middle but more at 1/3.

I've already disassembled the potentiometer and clean it : i have on the Dual 0/300KOhm on the 1st and 25/270KOhm on the 2nd. and on the dimension i have 0/1MOhm but the extremity of 1MOhm since unstable.

I'm thinking now as i don't have any right channel on Aux1 and Tape monitor that maybe my problem is coming from the back connection and i need to review what is going on.

And i ask myself if it is possible to bypass the potentiometer Balance/Dimension to test if i have any problem with it. (bypass and put block the position in center / Full stereo)

i hope i was clear and sorry for "my french writing" :)

PS : thanks for the contact it seems interesting for other piece also

Regards,

Yves
 
Last edited:
Hi Yves -- Your French/English is fine -- and welcome to AK!

Question: On your Balance control, the section that is reading 0/300K -- do you mean the "0" to indicate no resistance as in a short? Or an open, as in infinite resistance?

The Dimension control is a 1 Meg pot, BUT when set to the full stereo position, the wiper terminal should not show any resistance to either outside terminal of the pot. That is intentional by design.

Dave
 
so for the dimension part is good because is showing any resistance, but i didn't knew it was a design intention.
For the balance i have 1 that mark like 0.1 Ohm i think, i need to do back the test this night. (i don't understand totally the notion of open or infinite resistance).

Yves
 
Zero resistance is the equivalent of a dead short, as in no resistance at all. It is (basically) the same reading you get when you short the probes of your Ohmmeter together. An infinite amount of resistance is un-measureable -- the resistance is so high (in value) that no measurement can be made. It is the same reading you get when your Ohmmeter probes are touching nothing -- often giving an "OL" indication.

This can be confusing to many people when they indicate "0" resistance. In their mind, they are thinking that there is no reading, so there is no resistance, when in fact no reading indicates an infinitely high electrical value, and therefore, infinitely high resistance. When you indicated a "0" for resistance then, I was just checking to make sure you actually meant a very low resistance value -- which 0.1Ω certainly would be!

Dave
 
So I verified with the potentiometer connected and it s going from 40kOhm to 70kOhm and 60 Kohm in the center. Either it s very low as 0.5 ohm.

I ve checked the RCA behind and everything seems well connected, at one moment I ve disconnected the 3 controls :
-speaker off
-phase inverter
- tape monitor.
Maybe I have a problem here.

When I connect the cable rca out and on the ground I have little sound on the speaker of the channel off and when I put the rca normally no sound. So I think there is maybe a bad connection here. I m going to try to check an other time the rca connection this week end.

Regards,

Yves
 
Last edited:
I'm confused. With the balance control completely disconnected from the circuit, are you saying that one section only reads a total of 70KΩ from one outside terminal to the other outside terminal?

Dave
 
sorry i'm going to be lighter, now the potentiometer is connected in the X202B and like this the result are 40KOhm to 70KOhm
 
i've successfully achieved to fix it. Maybe there is a light level sound difference between right and left but to be honest i'm not sure. I've followed all the wire connection and fine one or two weak wire connection that i've made again and now it's ok.

Finally it seems ok and work well. Now i must be patient and see how he is going to evolve with the change of some capacitor Vishay one's replace old tired Mylar and electrolytics.

Regards,

Yves
 
Back
Top Bottom