• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

shootout of mostly 70's and 80's speakers for fun

KEF Wish List for esprits4s:

104/2
C80
Reference 3 or 4
LS50

Infinity Wish List for esprits4s:

Quantum Jr.
Kappa 6.1 through 9.1 (Series II, I believe)



you're welcome!
;)

(also, if you aren't a Barter Town subscriber yet, you should be...hint, hint, nudge, nudge....)

And how many of those speakers followed you home in the passenger seat of a Lotus Esprit S4?

Thanks!

And no, the Esprit hasn't seen speaker hauling duty....yet.... :)
 
Nice collection and superb reading, thanks for dropping in and letting us enjoy your collection and thoughts.

I just finished restoring a couple of 1969 Optimus 1's and a set of early Ohm E's- while not of the better class here- they are honest and enjoyable.

Welcome to AK, may your post be many and you knowledge gained.....
DC
 
First, awesome collection. Second, MAN YOU HAVE A LARGE SPACE TO WORK WITH! And yes I'm yelling for emphasis. Wow. Those "bad boy" 10's pop up here from time to time and seems many (most?) people love them. Look nice too.

I'm only going to comment on the Mach One, since I'm most intimate with them. Generally speaking, they're the least expensive to be had and with the VL mods really wake up. They won't, of course, compare to the D10's, but they are a far cry better than stock. Cost to upgrade is inexpensive and most people have loved the transformation.

When I talk about "general", not everyone finds that magic bargain, so I'll say "average street price" the Mach One tend to be the most plentiful and least expensive. Though I have to say, prices have been going up on ebay. I picked up a pair for $30 or $40 bucks. Had another pair given to me, and won't say what I paid for my first (2) pair.

I know that of all my speakers, the Mach One and Mach Two handled the most abuse, particularly with Action Movies (sans subwoofer). None of my speakers could handle the demands of bass like the Mach's, no bottoming out or over extension of the woofer.

Please do keep in mind I'm not saying these are upper class music listening speakers. There are better out there, but these really fill quite a bill for little dollars invested.

As for Infinities, I would love to get my hands on a pair of QLS1. Oh well.

Great write up!

Thanks! It is a big room...

Yes, the Mach Ones went as loud as I wanted to drive them. I've read some of the Mach One upgrade threads. It's certainly tempting as the improvement potential appears to be significant. I may look for a second pair to play with, but I kind of like the idea of having a set in original form (or at least unmodified) for the full vintage effect.
 
Last edited:
I liked your shootout Esprit....been looking for a pair of 10.2's myself with no luck....:no:
 
"And no, the Esprit hasn't seen speaker hauling duty....yet."

A Lotus with a trailer hitch...... better post that pic.

Thanks for the rundown - bet that was a lot of fun.
 
No better way to make a great first impression! Very nice work; it's always a pleasure to have that gift of free time to really pull out the stops and play:thmbsp:
 
Thanks everyone!

I'm almost tempted to post this over at a few of the other audio forums I lurk in to see if I would get an equally positive welcome. With this speaker list, I'm guessing the answer would be no;)
 
Incredible bookshelf.

I owned a pair of Dahlquist DQM-9c that I bought new in the early 80's. They were awesome speakers and I parted with them while in dire financial straits. I could kick myself in the rear for that stupid move.

I'm real spoiled on what speakers I have to enjoy. As much as I appreciate the bigger soundstages and the detail that can spring from larger floorstanders....one listen to a pair of DQM-9s has me wanting a pair for "all arounders" in my main living space because of their smaller size and the "Good" box sound. (Can't help but hear it and like it.)

Just try and find a pair without the Nextel and unobtainium issues....narrows down the field substantially.....patience has to be a virtue with these.
 
Back
Top Bottom