• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Should I buy Victor JVC QL-Y5 with a broken Acrylic Cover?

islaka

New Member
Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this turntable world and I am in search for my first turntable. I just found a new turntable named Victor QL-Y5 for like around $50 USD and it has its acrylic cover broken but from the demo video of the seller, I think it still works very well. So I want to ask whether this is a good turntable for a newbie and is the acrylic cover broken any problem? Furthermore, from the photos of the seller, it looks like they are selling it without the cartridge and stylus so if I buy it, can anyone suggest me some good cartridge and stylus to go with it? Thank you so much. I am in Vietnam so some suggested parts might not be available in my place but I will try to find it.

Here is a video link to the running turntable: Video Link
498925163_2039404596567354_1184551405176027119_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
These are very good turntables. I have a QL-Y7 that is very similar, and it works really well and sounds fantastic. The Servo arm is different, but it is great. I also have a Well Tempered Classic, which is a highly respected turntable of the opposite approach compared to the JVC (fully manual vs. automatic, Belt drive vs. Direct Drive, Silicone Fluid tonearm damping vs. Electro-Dynamic Servo damping, gravity balance VTF vs. Servo Motor VTF, etc.) Both tables sound very good with not a great deal of "difference" between them. The JVC does have better speed stability and a bit less wow & flutter, but both are very very good sonically. I bought the JVC, because as I'm getting older and less mobile (less stable), I want have a TT that does not require me to "handle" the tonearm, or get up to turn it off at the end of a record. I had heard good things about the JVC tables, but I'd not used one before I took a chance on the QL-Y7. I'm glad I bought it - it's a serious table that performs way above what I expected.


It's too bad the seller isn't including the head shell, as that head shell is a good one - designed to compliment the arm design. But I have several head shells that I use on my JVC and they all work just fine. You can get a head shell from any TT / Vinyl seller - or even on Amazon. As for cartridge/needle, most anything will work well on it, as that Servo arm really does a great job of keeping things under control. Depending on what you want to and are able to spend, there are a ton of options. IF I were you I'd check with Joseph Long (GrooveTickler - over on Instagram) he may have something interesting that he's hot rodded with some special stylus or cantilever (or both) that he could selll to you for a few 100 - and it would likely be FAR better than anything you can get for the same money from the normal online retail sellers. My favorite on the JVC thus far is my Stanton 681-EEES that has been fitted with a Boron Cantilever and an FG2 stylus. That combo with the servo arm even tracks the Canon Shots on the Telarc 1812 Overture LP "as if" it was nothing!!!

The other thing I would recommend you do -if you are handy with fairly simple tools and a soldering iron - is to replace the interconnect wires. The ones that came on my table were "OK", but I have some favorite RCA cable that I like to use on turntable to phono pre. So, I mounted a small metal box on the back with two High Quality RCA jacks (both acquired through Amazon.com). I've attached. picture. Or, you can use some Canare or Mogami bulk IC cable and simply replace what JVC has on there. There's a simple junction where they connect the tiny tonearm wires to the Interconnect cable. Just unsolder the JVC IC cable and solder in your choice of cable. Then install some good RCA plugs - and you'll likely have a more flexible cable that sounds a bit "warmer" than the old fairly stiff cable with molded on RCA's.
 

Attachments

  • QL-Y7 RCA mod.jpeg
    QL-Y7 RCA mod.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 9
Uh oh… be careful dealing with that seller. Red flag #1 is that it seems he stole that pic from the ebay ad. Red flag #2 is that the turntable is complete in the video but is missing a headshell in the supplied picture? Red flag #3 is of course the price. It’s way lower than posted ads in ebay.
 
The TT in the video isn't the one in the picture:

- left and right lower corners of the plinth are "re-veneered" with tape
- dust cover clear vs hazy.
 
No idea about whether there is some scam going on but ...

I ended up with one of these and it's a very nice table. Haven't had any issues.

Mine was missing the original headshell, PH-8, and they aren't easy to come by. From what I can tell it is a 11.5 gram headshell.

Very high "neato" factor given the electronic VTF and anti-skate but, then again, mine works but if it fails it will not be fun.

If you want to replace the dust cover there are options out there but they will run beyond $150.

You would probably be into about $250 just to have all of the original parts.

All that said, very nice table.
 
If I am satisfied that the turntable itself is in good condition, I view the cover as basically worthless. A piece of detachable plastic that I don't need, nothing more.

The major exception is linear drive turntables, as all the models I've seen have to be played with the lid down. I couldn't live with one of those with a cracked or scuffed lid, and I've seen many.
 
Absolutely worth $50 - replacement lids are available on eBay.

That said,it does sound worryingly dodgy...
 
Thank you so much for the answers. I will ask this seller to see whether he will let me meet offline first then update to you guys later!
 
Hi everyone, looks like its a scam 'cause he just going real angry when I inquire about the images and the offline pickup. Looks like I will have to find another one for my first TT now ☹. Thanks everyone again for helping me!
 
I think it works better if you find a turntable that is complete, including cartridge and stylus that you can see and demo in person with a record, connected to a system. There are too many variables involved and too easy to get burned when a transaction isn't straight forward and clear. Especially for your first turntable. I have found that for the most part, honest people are willing to demo for an in person sale.
 
I am going to suggest that instead of trying to buy some beat-up old turntable for loose change, you step back for a short while and think about your goals (hardware and musical), your budget, and how you're going to go through with a purchase. I'm reasonably confident I can buy good vintage turntables at a good price, but I didn't know anything when I bought my first one, and I have a far better idea now of how to to go about it. Though only in the country I'm living in.

First you should perhaps form an idea of your budget. About the most you think you can afford. Then increase that - double it, ideally. It might be way too much, in which case people here will quickly tell you so, but it probably won't be. More likely, it'll be just about enough to get you something worth having.

Decide also if you are sure you want a vintage turntable: it brings extra risks. One thing that worked in my favour is that most of the turntables I've bought, I examined in person. They were simply sitting in a store. Most of the others came from reputable dealers online rather than some guy offloading his personal property. That meant they were packed correctly for (domestic) shipping, and correct packing of turntables can be the difference between success and failure.

There are some new, reasonably affordable turntables that you needn't be ashamed to own, especially as a first unit. One from Audio-Technica I think at less than $400. I can't remember the model, I'm sure someone will be able to point it out to you. Then something like the Pioneer PLX500, probably a decent turntable although I think some people express reservations about it, but I see it's only $370 on Amazon. And for about $750, the PLX1000, which had fewer detractors. Again, as a first deck, I would expect that either could serve you admirably. Buying new will cost you more but remove most of the risk and a lot of the thinking, where buying vintage can be a bit of minefield if you don't know some of the warning signs to check for. Sure, new will cost multiples of the $50 you originally had in mind, but the time and trouble saved may well be worth the extra money.

If you wonder why these and the Audio Technica I was talking about all look about the same, they're me-too versions of the Technics SL1200 mk II, and that's a design that's more than proved itself over about 45 years.

As it happens, I am very pro-vintage these days, but for someone starting out, unless you have someone on hand to guide you through it, it can easily go wrong. No one here likes to see that happen. If you're still determined to go vintage, that can certainly work, but you need to be aware of all the potential issues, and there are quite a lot of them.
 
To the OP, what is your budget for this first table? Is it 50 dollars? IN the US that would be a hard one to get. Not sure of used prices in Vietnam. Get a realistic budget, based on what you can find near you. Online will be hard because of scammers like the one you almost got taken by. Take your time, and try to shop wisely
 
Back
Top Bottom