• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Should i have a go at these rare sony speakers?

Register to hide this ad
I think the seller is saying that only 1 tweeter works. Been a while for French and me though, so I could be wrong.
 
The seller says in the Q&A section that only one of the tweeters works. Unless you have a line on replacement square woofers or tweeters, I would pass.
 
According to this person, the tweeters are in good state and clean, but I don't think he tried them.

This model is quite rare, and needs major work. Have you got somebody that can repair them, and most importantly, where are you going to find one replacement woofer and possibly two. He is a bit vague on the state of the second woofer. There is also some damage to the enclosure. Those speakers have a nice rounded form and with some wood veneer starting to lift, I hope you're good at wood working.

At 200,00 EUR for a starting bid is quite expensive, I think.
Maybe you know quite a bit more about the real value of these speakers, but me I only see trouble ahead, that's my take on it.

The way I read your question is, rare and nice to look at. You don't talk about how nice sounding they are, how well they will match your other equipment, and how good you are at fixing and refinishing speakers.

Hopefully I wasn't too negative, I'm just trying to point out the pit fall of nice and rare.
Regards
 
These speakers are not ok....but they are rare.....just very nice to own....just 200 sets ever sold...thats what i mean...I am not going to restore them or listen to them. (i dont have any illusion parts are available to restore them...ha) .Maybe on the way someone comes along....looking for a working tweeter to complete his own set. Just one tweeter can be of great value to an allready sony APM-6 owner....or maybe some other parts inside...and the enclosures.
Question is....do the parts justify the 200 euro price?
 
Last edited:
Well in that case, if you already know that they might not be repairable and don't care if you going to listen to them anyway, go for it.

One caveat though, when somebody mention "Very rare, only 200 sets sold" most of the time, the person is only blowing air, you know, like making a pitch, a selling tactic.
 
Well in that case, if you already know that they might not be repairable and don't care if you going to listen to them anyway, go for it.

One caveat though, when somebody mention "Very rare, only 200 sets sold" most of the time, the person is only blowing air, you know, like making a pitch, a selling tactic.

Just take a look at the vintageknob....or use google and you ll find out its true..these speakers are very rare..and were very expensive in 1982.

My main problem is...driving to Paris adds another 140 euro. So i think i will mail the seller if no one buys them...i will pick them up for less then 200 euro.

Its always hard ot put a value on these vintage items......there are no examples.
 
I'm not saying that it's untrue. These Sony speakers are quite rare and very nice looking.
When I say...
"Very rare, only 200 sets sold" most of the time, the person is only blowing air, you know, like making a pitch, a selling tactic"
...it is to entice people to buy, without looking at all the facts. Parts will be next to impossible to get, if you want to repair them.
On the other hand, if you think you can make money by selling parts like, cross-over, tweeters, etc... than you have to find somebody that has the same speakers.

Anyway, in Canada, this is not a good investment, far from it, but in Europe it might be an excellent investment, only you can tell.
The only thing I know for sure, petrol is very expensive in Europe.
 
IMHO, I'd run the other way, and fast!! You can do much better with speakers that you CAN source parts for easily.

Best,

Paul
 
These speakers are not ok....but they are rare.....just very nice to own....just 200 sets ever sold...thats what i mean...I am not going to restore them or listen to them. (i dont have any illusion parts are available to restore them...ha) .Maybe on the way someone comes along....looking for a working tweeter to complete his own set. Just one tweeter can be of great value to an allready sony APM-6 owner....or maybe some other parts inside...and the enclosures.
Question is....do the parts justify the 200 euro price?

The price seems high from an outside perspective, given their damaged condition. However, almost all audio gear is more expensive in Europe, sometimes significantly so. In European terms, this may not be such an expensive deal as some of us think.

Also, while I agree that it would be difficult to find original replacement drivers, it might not be completely impossible. I've seen at least one of these before, and several very similar APMs just a little lower down in the series. It MIGHT be possible to adapt a woofer from one of those to function in this one, or even to fabricate a replacement front surface for that damaged woofer (assuming the rear coil(s) are okay). Tricky, yes, but not necessarily impossible. Not sure if the sonics could be completely preserved, but you might come close enough to enjoy the speakers. Veneer can always be repaired or renewed, although curved surfaces are trickier than flat ones.

I think you could do better, but I wouldn't necessarily balk at these. Then again, I seem to have masochistic weakness for the ultra-rare (but good) stuff, even if the repairs are twice as tough, and there isn't anyone else to swap notes with (purchases like this feel "lonely!"), so maybe I'm not the best person to comment!
 
"Then again, I seem to have masochistic weakness for the ultra-rare (but good) stuff"

Can hear myself talking there.:D

You got the message....there will be a lot less Sony APM-6 speakers around in Europe as in the US....Japan is so much nearer to the US as to Europe.

Japan....my heart hurts!:tears:
 
The price seems high from an outside perspective, given their damaged condition. However, almost all audio gear is more expensive in Europe, sometimes significantly so. In European terms, this may not be such an expensive deal as some of us think.

For this state they are expensive imo.

Only if these are the speakers you have been lusting after for forever and know how to fix them (where to get spare drivers for this) this might be tempting (again, from my perspective).

If they were a working set (or SS-M3, M7 or M9's) I'd say jump on it, even if the amout of €€ is much higher. ;)

For 200 you can get something like a set of Tannoy sixes or nice B&W/KEF here btw.
 
Particularly if you are intending to sell them at some point, these strike me as a very nice looking pair of enclosures that need both woofers and apparently one tweeter, being sold for what I assume is a pretty hefty price -- don't know what the euro/dollar exchange rate it. Even if one of the woofers works, you aren't going to be able to sell them with it, since its been dented, folded and so on, and who is going to buy these glamorous speakers with crappy looking drivers. I would guess replacement drivers would be costly -- so do you, since you are thinking that you can sell the single tweeter for a hefty price.
I don't see how you could get out of this without a big haircut, but I could be wrong.
 
Back
Top Bottom