• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Should I use my Rotel RCD 1072 for HDCD instead of the Mcintosh MCD 201 cd player?

Now this is a question I can answer (just got back from vacations!)..

I had the 1072 and now I own the 201. I compared both (one next to another) and that was with the 1072 burned in and the 201 brand new for those who care (Ok.. I do think that the 201 has some burnin to do), with normal and HDCD tracks.

First note that many HDCD's are also now available as SACD (I bought Brubeck's Take Five on SACD and I couldn't be happier because the mix itself is also improved).

Well if you search for my review of this, you will find that I explained why the 201 was better. The HDCD has a trick, it also boosts output level so you have to be careful when you compare with the 201..

All that being said, it is not worth keeping the 1072 for HDCD duties alone. However, I will not be as categoric as others. HDCD mode does sound different. I'm not sure that I can say that the 1072 sounds *worse* than the 201 on HDCD material, because the 201 is doing the best it can to render a dynamically-compressed version of what the 1072 DACs are doing.

So you may prefer the 1072 on HDCD discs, but I don't miss mine and I bought one or two SACD's of HDCD's I had to remove any questions out of my head ;)


Happy listening!
 
I have both players (1072 and 201) and I like them both. HDCD is very nice in my opinion and well worth it for the price $699 for the Rotel. The Mac player has a wider sound stage and a less shrill top end. I have had a quirk or two with my Mac player, not one with the Rotel. The Mac player has the look, the preamp, and balanced outputs. I have yet to get listening fatigue from the Mac. I give the Mac the nod for best sound and versatility. It plays SACD, 2 channel DTS discs (a pleasant surprise to me!) and of course it's Redbook play is exceptional. Even with all that being said, the Rotel is no slouch and it is a bargain at its price. I am keeping them both. Besides, what could you get for a used Rotel?

AF
 
I say if your 108 years old and can't hear a damn thing, DEFINITELY go with the 201 for the aesthetics alone. We all love the Mc "look."
The loud spinning noise of the transport won't be an issue, (due to your hearing loss) and heck you may be so senile you won't even notice when it locks up. :yes:

Mine is extremely quiet, serial # WMxxxx.
 
I prefer HDCD properly decoded; unless the player is explicitly inferior, I'd say, keep the Rotel. The hard part is, not all disks are labelled.
 
It's riduculous that a player that retails for 3400.00 should have any problems at all.

How is it acceptable if it only locks up a few times, or doesn't read this disc or that, or is so loud you put it in a closet? That's unacceptable.

W'ere talking about over 3 Thousand dollars! This player should be perfect!

The player is practically perfect, all of it's problems can be resolved by the dealer.
 
I received the MCD 201 SACD Player

I have been listening to the new McIntosh MCD 201 SACD player in redbook mode vs the Rotel RBD-1072 cd player for a couple of days. Ist issue, there is no noise at all at the transport. I am sticking my ear 1 inch from the running transport and I can't hear any unusual clicks or noises. I have been only playing the McIntosh MCD 201 for a couple days but there have been no trouble yet with tracking or and cds that wouldn't play.
As far as sound quality, the Rotel is good for the money but side by side I am hearing detail and warmth in cds that were not there in the Rotel. The Rotel is a good cd player but the McIntosh is soundwise in a different league. CDs sound better on the McIntosh with or without HDCD encoding. Just my opinion.
Jim
 
As far as sound quality, the Rotel is good for the money but side by side I am hearing detail and warmth in cds that were not there in the Rotel.
The MCD201 offers the sonic attributes of the worlds best gear in terms of sheer musicality, warmth and smoothness. What it lacks in resolution and slam down low, the MDA easily recovers with just about any transport. :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom