• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us the dirtiest piece of gear you've ever seen on your bench!

Catmanboo

Analog guy, meet digital world - HELP!!
Subscriber
This is sitting in front of me now, thrift store donation. And it works! (God only knows how ) No way I'm blowing that out, brushes & vacuum. This will replace my vintage loaner in background.
Before & after shots.
 

Attachments

  • 20200303_155933.jpg
    20200303_155933.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 318
  • 20200303_155927.jpg
    20200303_155927.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 20200303_163911.jpg
    20200303_163911.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 302
Register to hide this ad
Isn't dust something like 75% flaked off human skin cells??

EWWWW!!!
Maybe on bed sheets. This one mustve been used in a Chinese laundry or something. I actually felt big tufts of fuzz going up the vacuum hose, so thick was it.
 
Curious if anyone hear responded to the guy who got some motor oil spilled on a preamp. I said I thought it was clanable but I could not advise on what to use. He could use some help...
 
Pioneer SX-9000 that had been a home for mice and stink bugs. The big ball of stuffing the mice had in there had been removed. The ball was on top of the MPX board. Had apparently sat in a detached garage for maybe a couple decades.
Pioneer top view.jpg
Top View.jpg
 
Back part of this Sony was dirty. Took it outside and used the compressor and air nozzle on it.
IMG_20190522_122943.jpg
Somebody gave me a Techhics SA-5170 that had been used for music in a self storage unit. Looked similar to the first post, 1/4" or more of fuzz and dust. I think I used a vacuum, then blew it out. No picture of it.
 
Pioneer - VSX-9700S
ARVV8h2.jpg

Aa1uTSN.jpg
 
I don't have a picture, but once i had a mandolin come in for a nut repair. It smelled sooo bad that i could only work on it for a few minutes at a time. The wreak of b.o. was even worse in the case. I had to keep the case in a separate room in my basement. I fixed that one fast and got it out of my life.
 
Actually, that thing in my first post was nowhere my worst mess. I recovered a Sony TC-580 r2r from late uncle's falling-down garage in Grosse Point, Mich. that had been infested with mice- bad! Wasnt aware of that, brought it in the house, left it alone for a while. Finally got to the teardown inspection, which revealed an old mouse condo almost the size of a football, lucky for me it was vacant prior to me dragging this thing down to ohio & across the state. Would've been quite the scene in the car had former occupants still been in there. The damage was by far the worst, as the ckt. boards in the bottom of the thing were used as a common rodent latrine for long enough to totally ruin everything from bottom of unit to about 6" up. I immediately stripped said unit, burned the case, shitcanned the bulk of it. Pics deleted from phone to avoid internal contamination! Best part was trading the motors & power transformer which escaped damage for a bunch of 7591a's, a few preamp & rectifier tubes on BT. (I had to be coaxed into it by the responding party, he wanted that stuff bad!) Still have some of it left, it was a gold mine of small nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc. :biggrin:
 
Back
Top Bottom