• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Shure "Hi Track" confusion

The original poster, even though two years ago, was not talking about High Track series of cartridges. He was talking about the cartridges that specifically say "Hi Track," spelled that way on the stylus.

As does my venerable M75ED Type 2 - "Hi Track" on the stylus guard.
 
I have a Shure High Track that originally came with my ELAC 50H. It needs a stylus unfortunately. When I first looked at it I thought something was wrong with it as the cartridge body was covered with a green textured finish...

That is probably one of the "quick mount" types with the clip that holds the cart in place. Chances are that it's an M91 body, but that clip mount style with the hammered finish was also available as M93 and M75. I think green hammered finish was M91 clip mount and it may be the Canadian version with the name "Royal" on the underside accompanied by a strange number.
 
That is probably one of the "quick mount" types with the clip that holds the cart in place. Chances are that it's an M91 body, but that clip mount style with the hammered finish was also available as M93 and M75. I think green hammered finish was M91 clip mount and it may be the Canadian version with the name "Royal" on the underside accompanied by a strange number.

There is a number underneath in yellow. I remember that. First I thought that finish was pond seaweed.
 
The original poster, even though two years ago, was not talking about High Track series of cartridges. He was talking about the cartridges that specifically say "Hi Track," spelled that way on the stylus.

kind of like mine (see pics below)

so what is mine? is it any good? sounds fine.

anyway, i paid $20 to a coworker for it. it was in storage for years, new belt (not installed) and a near new cartridge.

beautiful semi-auto table, now in my living room

 
kind of like mine (see pics below)

so what is mine? is it any good? sounds fine.

anyway, i paid $20 to a coworker for it. it was in storage for years, new belt (not installed) and a near new cartridge.

beautiful semi-auto table, now in my living room
That's a rebadged M91ED.
 
I have a Shure High Track that originally came with my ELAC 50H. It needs a stylus unfortunately. When I first looked at it I thought something was wrong with it as the cartridge body was covered with a green textured finish. Something I had not seen before from Shure having never owned anything under the Super Track Plus. This may be a cartridge I should find a nice new stylus for and put to work somewhere. Its rather small too, something else I noticed. There is a number on it I will need to check that tonight.

edit: It says High Track on the stylus guard.

The greenish speckled cartridge body is labeled SHURE M91E underneath in white lettering. The stylus guard says SHURE HI-TRACK in white lettering.The guard is black. Anyone know where I can find a really nice stylus replacement?
 
Thanks 681. I have noted those two sources. I did not know Parts Express was into cartridge stylus replacement I have always looked for other things there. I'll check it out.
I wonder do you think this cart is worth investing in? I have never heard one but own the V-15 type III and have always liked Shure. Never a problem with them in my life.
 
I'm going to resurrect this thread a second time because I'm suffering from Hi-Track Confusion too. I have a Shure M95ED with perhaps the original Shure stylus still installed. The cartridge has an aluminum label attached marked "Hi-Track M95ED".

Now, my impression was that all M95ED cartridges were Hi-Tracks but in looking at LPGear I see that they offer two replacement styli, one for the M95ED and one for the M95ED Hi-Track. Both have the same specs as far as the listing goes and both are priced the same but each has its own LPGear part number.

I've looked at other sites like JICO, NeedleDoctor and TurntableNeedles as well as the Cartridge Database and they don't mention Hi-Track at all. This sort of confirms my impression that "Hi-Track" Applies to all M95ED cartridges but I still wonder why LPGear makes a distinction.

Thanks,
John
 
Prolly just in case different people search for different things. The M95ED IS a Hi-Track cartridge. All of the Shures under the V15s with the M prefix were Hi-Tracks.

Also, I think audiojones is correct about the M91ED and M95ED being available at the same time for a while in the mid-seventies. I mean, I don't think Shure would have suddenly quit on the M91ED which was, by far, their biggest seller when they released the M95ED. As a matter of fact, I remember the ads saying the M91ED was second only to the M95ED in the M series too.

And that green cartridge. Shure was ahead of its time and that is their "green" offering. You won't have to worry about global warming in your listening room. \:^)

Doug
 
Prolly just in case different people search for different things. The M95ED IS a Hi-Track cartridge. All of the Shures under the V15s with the M prefix were Hi-Tracks.

Thanks. That's what I thought so it was a jolt when I saw that LPGear had 2 separate listings, one Hi-Track and one not.

Also, I think audiojones is correct about the M91ED and M95ED being available at the same time for a while in the mid-seventies. I mean, I don't think Shure would have suddenly quit on the M91ED which was, by far, their biggest seller when they released the M95ED. As a matter of fact, I remember the ads saying the M91ED was second only to the M95ED in the M series too.

Yeah, it may have been a "phased replacement" where the marketing was gradually shifted to favor the M95ED until the M91ED was eventually dropped.

And that green cartridge. Shure was ahead of its time and that is their "green" offering. You won't have to worry about global warming in your listening room. \:^)

Doug

Yeah, but now they're manufacturing in Mexico where they can pollute to their hearts' content. ;)

John
 
So would this cartridge be a M91, M93, M95, or other?
 

Attachments

  • Shure Hi-Track cartridge.jpg
    Shure Hi-Track cartridge.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 252
So would this cartridge be a M91, M93, M95, or other?

That looks like the stylus that is on my Realistic R1000E. On mine the word "SHURE" is the same width as the word "HI-TRACK", to get really picky about it. I think I read something about that difference somewhere.

I was less confused before I read this thread.
 
Sorry to bring up from the dead a very old thread, and the low resolution picture. On a Scott 48A, and considering buying it for 10 bucks.
I'm interested in knowing which Hi Track this one is... TY for any links to photos of the Shure line of carts.

Shure Hi Track Yellow.jpg
 
TY 681 (cool angry teddy!) and Stillhouse. Seems like a good buy at 10 bucks on a working 48a, I'll give it a shot and see if it works.
 
Back
Top Bottom