• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure M959ED cartridge

Vincent3

Active Member
If you have experience with the Shure M959ED cartrodge. how does it compare to the Ortofon 2M Red? I had an M959ED with a broken needle on my Pioneer PL-400 when I took it to a local hi-fi shop for servicing, and they suggested that I switch to a 2M Red (I understood it not as a comment on the Shure's capability, but because the Sure is out of production). The turntable was originally my father's, he put the Shure cartridge on it, and it has been too long since I heard it to be able to compare it to the 2M Red. I've since been advised by some people that the 2M Red isn't very good, and that I should upgrade to the VM-95ML. Since I still have the Shure cartridge and found a place that has the N95ED stylus (and the N95HE), I'm wondering how that would compare to the 2M Red and VM-95ML.
 
Register to hide this ad
While I couldn't find an image of the M959ED on the web, I found its instruction manual. I note that it takes the same stylus and has identical specs to the M95ED. So it is effectively an M95ED. This is a great cartridge that is well worth investing in with a high-quality replacement stylus.

The 2M Red is not quite in the same class as the M95ED, as the latter has a nude elliptical stylus while the Red has only has a bonded elliptical. Having said that, if you get a replacement aftermarket stylus for the M95, it is likely to be bonded, unless you buy an Analogis Black Diamond (or similar Swiss-made nude stylus), or go all the way to a Jico SAS. But I think the superiority of the M95ED over the 2M Red also shows through in the sound.

A mention of the 2M Red stirs up strong negative emotions in some people, while others love it. In my experience, it is not a bad cartridge - it is actually remarkably good at some things. It's detailed for the price and delivers music with impressive dynamics. It falls down a bit on refinement and subtlety - sometimes it can sound abrasive and is not an easy listen. An upgrade to the 2M Blue stylus may address some of the Red's issues by providing more refinement.

I think you'd find also find the M95ED quite lively and detailed (with the right stylus), but with a more refined delivery that is easier to live with. I find that with the original stylus it has a very attractive, almost addictive sound. But with an aftermarket stylus, you take your chances - I would make sure you buy a Japanese-made stylus such as a Jico or Tonar, possibly one with hyper-elliptical profile.

You also mention the AT-VM95ML. I have less experience with this cartridge (only got one a little while ago) but it is certainly worthy of consideration. My impression is that it's more laid-back than the 2M Red and M95ED in terms of dynamics, but certainly more refined than the 2M Red. I still prefer my M95ED. However, AT's MicroLine stylus is an excellent tracker - very clean and virtually disposes of sibilance - and will certainly beat the bonded elliptical of the 2M Red and possibly even the fanciest of aftermarket styli for the M95.
 
Thanks for the helpful reply. I've seen mention of Jico as a respected replacement stylus, and I'll add Tonar and Analogis to the list.

I was going to order a replacement from LP Gear, just because that's what I found first when I did a search for an N95ED. They claim their offering is superior to generics, but I haven't seen anything else about them and would rather go directly to something like a Jico since it's well known.

I was thinking about getting an SAS, but don't know if it'll be too revealing of dirt and scratches in my LPs. I buy mostly used near-mint LPs. I do clean them with Audio Technica's liquid cleaning kit, but there are still imperfections.

I appreciate your balanced opinion of the 2M Red. I know there are better cartridges, but I don't think it sounds bad.
 
You should be OK with an LP Gear stylus - most people seem to think they're good-quality. They're made in Japan, we think by Jico or Tonar (even these two brands may come from the same factory). I'm not sure I would go as far as an SAS stylus with your turntable, as when you get to the fancy stylus types, it seems adjustable arm-height can be important, which I doubt your PL-400 has. I think the hyper-elliptical N95HE would be a good investment.
 
I have a Realistic R47XT, a rebranded M95. Mine wears a JICO hyperelliptical, and I like it about as much as the 2M Blue, they're both very capable. Not the biggest fan of the Red, but it can sound pretty decent.
As was mentioned, if you can find a nude stylus, you'll find much more detail, as a nude stylus is generally lighter and faster.
 
Back
Top Bottom