• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure M95ED one channel low and distorted

JoeTTD

New Member
I have a Shure M95ED cartridge with a brand new stylus (Ed Saunders NOS). When I tried it I only got sound from one channel (the other was very faint and distorted). I measured the left and right channels at the cartridge pins and all seems well enough. Counld the problem be the stylus? I don't have another stylus to try in it.
 
Register to hide this ad
Is this a TT that has been sitting idle for a while? New to you TT? Is the cartridge new to you? Just idea where your starting from. Help with problem solving to have more info. Get all facts. What TT model? Removable headshell?

Outside chance could be Amp issue. Other Amp inputs aren't having issues? Have you cleaned Amp RCAs and selector switch contacts in past?

You could try switching headshell wires left to right. Hear if issue follows wires. While at it you could clean the pins. A little Deoxit or other contact cleaner. Or atleast try a piece of a Magic Eraser on pins. Easy if removable headshell. If not removeable, check other RCA connectors etc first. Easy things first.
It's a bit of trial and error. Eliminate possible causes.
 
Last edited:
Do you have another cartridge to test in same headshell? If another cartridge-stylus sounds fine, so very likely your problem is the new stylus.
 
Swap the RCA cables and see if the issue follows the swap, if so you've narrowed it down to the TT.
 
Back
Top Bottom