• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure m97he-ah era iv phono cartridge

spn_ai

Active Member
Hi,

It's about the Shure M97HE-AH ERA IV with of a total weight reduction of 4 to 6 grams compared to a separate cartridge and-headshell.

Is this cartridge comparable to my Realistic R9000E integrated cartridge and headshell in result of performance. What's the weight in difference between the two cart, any info.

The R9000E cartidge came from my Realistic LAB-500, I'm hoping if the Shure M97HE-AH ERA IV will match my LAB-500 since I've tried many different cart in separated headshell, that's too much for my COUNTER WEIGHT.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
The Shure M 97 HE was only bettered in that era by the Shure V 15 Type IV. And by very little. Excellent cartridge. Should do well in your table. Best used on low to medium mass arms.
 
Hi,

Do you think the cartridge is made especialy for J Arm that need lighter cart-headshell?

Do you think my LAB-500, a J Arm?

How about S Arm?


LAB-500

securedownload-16.jpg
 
Yes, it takes a standard headshell. You're good to go here. Good match to that arm. Jico Japan makes good styli to fit that cart as well, both HE and SAS (Super Analog Stylus). Excellent cartridge, I wish Shure still made this model. :tresbon:
 
I have an M97HE and it is a great cartridge. I use a Jico HE stylus on it and can't really tell the difference between it and my V15III which also has a Jico stylus
 
I have an M97HE and it is a great cartridge. I use a Jico HE stylus on it and can't really tell the difference between it and my V15III which also has a Jico stylus

Have you heard and would you consider going the next step up to the SAS stylus for the M97 HE or the V15 III?

I have both the M97 HE and the V15 III RS which uses the same stylus.
Neither cartridges have a stylus as yet.
 
Have you heard and would you consider going the next step up to the SAS stylus for the M97 HE or the V15 III?

I have both the M97 HE and the V15 III RS which uses the same stylus.
Neither cartridges have a stylus as yet.

I haven't heard the SAS stylus. I've always thought about trying one but I've been very satisfied with their HE stylus. Outside of the brush on the stylus for the M97HE there is no difference in the audio quality between the original HE stylus and the Jico. I still have both original styluses and they are in very good shape but I don't want to use them because they're almost impossible to get without mortgaging your home.
 
It really is a terrific cartridge and will mount on any arm that accepts a "universal mount" cartridge. Your LAB 500 turntable (sweet looking table, by the way!) would do just fine with it.

picture.php


The stylus on mine is still in excellent shape. However, if I ever had to replace it, I'd have no second thoughts about ordering up the Jico SAS.
 
The R9000E was equivalent to the M95ED. So it was the predecessor to the M97, and was the ED stylus, which was elliptical compared to the HE (hyperelliptical) stylus on the M97 you have.

And yes, it's made for a J or S-arm and ideal for cutting down on the weight. Your LAB 500 is an S-arm, but both S and J arms are of the same design concept, and both are medium to high mass.
 
The R9000E was equivalent to the M95ED. So it was the predecessor to the M97, and was the ED stylus, which was elliptical compared to the HE (hyperelliptical) stylus on the M97 you have.

And yes, it's made for a J or S-arm and ideal for cutting down on the weight. Your LAB 500 is an S-arm, but both S and J arms are of the same design concept, and both are medium to high mass.

Thanks Howard, for all the precisions,well I don't have the integraded headshell/cartridge of the M97HE-AH ERA IV PHONO CARTRIDGE, but just wondering if will be a step up from my Realistic R9000E. I was looking for a matching cartridge for my LAB-500, just to try something different... Do you know which ohter cartridge will be ideal for cutting down on the weight?

Stephen
 
You might keep an eye out for one of these:

picture.php


This is the original Ortofon Concorde, not the current DJ version. It comes with its own counterweight, since the cartridge itself is much lighter than the typical headshell cartridge combo. If you come across one, and it doesn't come with the counterweight, don't buy it. Here's a pic of the special counterweight:

picture.php
 
(In the tradition of jumping on other recent "Realistic LAB 500" thread)

I decided to buy the one that was for sale near me sans stylus, it has the stock R9000E on it though. Would the Jico SAS FOR SHURE N95ED N95HE STYLUS be considered among the better stylus for this beast?
I wasn't really planning to spend that much, but in the interest of auiophhoolery I would dig deep if it's considered a compatible winner.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom