• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure M97XE Left Channel Buzzing

TheCrunge

Active Member
Greetings all! I received my Shure M97XE today and following directions for the Baerwald Protractor, got it mounted to my liking. I put on my first record and lifted the arm and I have a terrible buzzing in my left channel.

Some things to know, I am listening through headphones using a Hybrid Tube Amp. The amp has a tiny bit of buzz, but it wasn't any more noticable when the player was on or off with my old cart. Now as soon as I turn it on, I get a horrible left channel buzz. I checked the connections going into the cartridge itself from the tonearm and nothing seems to be amiss there.

Does anyone have any ideas? All I know is it has happened since I switched the cartridge and is only buzzing when the player is on.
 
Register to hide this ad
Connect the red and green wires going to the cartridge to the left channel pins and connect the white and blue wires to the right channel.

If the buzzing is now in the right channel, the cartridge is at fault. If the buzzing stays in the left channel, the problem is in the wiring.

Doug
 
G'day all, ground (hum) loops of this type can be difficult to analyse.

Try using small plastic washers on the cartridge mounting bolts to isolate the cartidge from the metal headshell.

The Shure's use an unusual internal earthing system. The plastic washers should 'isolate' the cartridge preventing ground loops and resultant hum/buzz.

In any case follow Doug's excellent advice as a general diagnostic check. Good luck. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Edit: or you could try removing the small metal strap on the 'blue' output pin.
 
Last edited:
Ok so I switched the wires around, the buzzing is still there. I guess I need to find some washers. I have no idea where to find plastic washers that small. I have plenty of metal washers, not so many plastic ones.

Any ideas of other solutions or where to find washers that small?
 
G'day mate, try hobby shops or your local hardware shops maye even your local electronic hobbyist shop. Good luck. They can be purchased from many online vinyl accessory suppliers as well. Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
That happens to me sometimes right after a cart swap. I wouldnt automatically assume a bad cart or even the cart at all. If its a brand new cart, it passed QC before it was boxed.

Does the hum change as you touch the headshell?

Try locking the arm on its rest after engauging the TT so the circuit is closed and humming, then wiggle the head around a bit, then the contacts, wires etc. When it happens to me its usually a connection issue or inadvertant ground I created (or didnt create).
If one ground pin isnt making good contact inside the nib collar, that channel will seek ambient ground thru the headshell or closest metal and hum.

Just an idea.

..
 
I'm still playing around with things, but I am skeptical that plastic washers will make a difference considering that the headshell is plastic.

The sound doesn't really change if I touch the tonearm, however it does if I cue the arm when in the resting position. It sounds better when touching it's base.
 
Actually, with the M97xE, you will have to be sure the cartridge is completely isolated from the metal headshell because if any part of the metal body of the cartridge touches the headshell there will be a ground loop and the left channel will hum since that's where the little ground strap Felix indicated is connected.

On my installation, I used nylon screws and a plastic spacer between the cartridge and headshell. You almost have to use plastic screws to ensure the isolation since metal screws can end up touching both the cartridge body AND the headshell.

Or, like Felix said, you can remove the little ground strap on the cartridge.

My eccentricity will not allow me to do that, however.

\:^)

Doug
 
Last edited:
OK, forget my last post then if the headshell is actually plastic. Be sure it really is plastic that isn't conductive, though, or has a conductive coat applied to it.

Also, you DO have the turntable grounded to the amp., right?

Doug
 
G'day all, ok if the headshell is plastic, 'plastic' washers definitely won't help. :D

Assuming that all wiring is ok, then (carefully) removing the metal strap with a small jewellers screwdriver, on the blue tag is the only real option.

That terminal is the left channel 'earth' by the way. Please let us know how you get on. Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
The table is grounded to the amp. Its obvious when its not, makes a god awful noise.

Where is the ground strap on the cart? I didn't see anything attached to the blue pin.

I think it could be my amp giving me problems too. I have noticed a few things. When sitting, the humming is the worst. Also, the humming goes from a buzz in between channels (middle of my soundstage) during quiet sections, however when I cue the player and the arm lifts, the buzz gets much louder and moves to my left ear.

I can live with this for now I guess, but its kind of bothering me inside, because I tried to upgrade my cart to get less noise, and although I have less crackling (not a lot less though), I now have an awesome buzzing drone in the background.
 
Ok, I see the ground strap to the blue pin. My issue lies in removing it in a non destructive manner. It looks like the only way to get it off is to cut or pry it off, but then it would be destroyed. Is there any way to bypass or remove it more easily? I also don't want to wreck it for no reason if its not going to help my issue.
 
G'day mate, if you place a small flat blade jewellers screwdriver under it, it should just pull out.

I've never had to do this with any of my M97xE's, but others have. I did do the same thing with an Empire cartridge that was also causing a loud buzz on one channel. Removing the strap completely stopped the problem.

So take care removing it and all should be well, but remember doing this is at your own risk, but it should fine. Good luck. Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Last edited:
Aha. Fixed it. After detaching the strap (cutting a gap with a knife and moving it out of contact with the pin) and trying again to no avail, I moved everything to my Kenwood receiver through the HP out. Quiet as a church mouse. At this point I knew it was my Tube amp. So I did the last thing to do, changed my Jan Sylvania Tube for a newer Russian 6N11 tube. The noise is totally gone. I was even able to reconnect the ground strap to the pin and there still is no noise. At least I was able to figure this out. Apparently the old tube doesn't play nice with the new cart for some reason. Things are nice and listenable now. Just need to play with dialing things in a bit more tomorrow and get back into cleaning my records.

Thanks for the help all, especially Felix!

Edit: Was a bit hasty above, there is still left channel noise when the tonearm is raised, however it is now much lower and more tolerable unless I am listening to music with lots of silent parts. I guess I still have some tinkering to do.
 
Last edited:
G'day mate, interesting! If you have a digital multimeter switched to the low ohms or 'beep' function check all interconnects for continuity (end to end) and for no accidental transpositions and earth integrity. It's a strange one. :scratch2: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Ok, after my hasty reply above, I figured out the problem. There were many variables at work here but I found one I forgot about. For the past few weeks, my laptop power brick has been plugged into the same surge protector as the amp and table. However, Friday my brick gave up the ghost so I ordered a new one. First thing I did when I got home today was plug the new supply back into the surge.

When I first posted above (#14) my brick had accidentally come unplugged whilst moving my receiver around. That explained the quiet. Now with it plugged into another outlet across the room, things are dead quiet.

The problem also shows itself with my laptop on my lap, a frequent occurrence when I am listening to music. I guess I will have to do some swapping of components and outlets to see if I can eliminate the problem completely. For now though, my solution is much more manageable. Thanks again for the help guys.
 
G'day all, +:thmbsp: Time to enjoy some music now. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

EDIT: I presume those power supplies are 'switch mode' types. I hate them with a vengeance. I had a few here in my Ham Radio shack and they generated so much broadband electrical noise, I couldn't hear a thing on my receivers! They went in the bin, replaced by nice 'clean' battteries!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom