• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure N31E Stylus on the M44 Cartridge

Wolfie62

Super Member
Just got this Shure NOS N31E stylus. It’s a bonded 2X7 elliptical stylus that tracks at 1-2 grams.

I bought the N31E to see if I could get it to fit/play on my M44-7 cartridge. I figured it would be worth the risk.

As I anticipated, the N31E has too much plastic to fit the M44, right out of the box.

Here, shown against the mounted N55E EVG Swiss nude that tracks at 1.7 grams:
(Wonderful stylus!)




So, I sized up the N31E and planned my cut. Just a miniature flat file would do the job. I just removed plastic off the top (yea, just a little off the top, please!).



Perfect fit!
 
Register to hide this ad
A few more pics.

Really nice fit. I have another N31E coming.


Love the sound! Nice big, bold sound! Not as much detail as the Swiss nude, but a really lovely presentation with plenty of output. 1.4 grams at present. That will probably change when the suspension settles in.

For those who love the sound of the M44, this N31E is a very worthy stylus!
 
Back
Top Bottom