• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure V15III/SAS vs Denon DL110... Opinions, please.

Spectrum77

Super Member
Hi, all.
Yamaha GT-2000 w/ Denon DL110- great mids, highs, smooth never fatiguing but bass compromised. Stylus got wrecked, so kaput.

Tried Audio Technica AT160ML- bought used, maybe needs replacement AT440 stylus. Sounded flat, un-engaging.

Moved to Dual 701 w/ Shure V15III low hours SAS stylus. Not as smooth nor as balanced in mids and highs as I remember the Denon, but bottom-end punch just perfect. Leaves AT and Denon carts dead in the water.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Denon 103 is a GT-2000 owners' favourite but a little pricey.
Shure cart w/ Dual headshell incompatible to try on GT-2000.
Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi, all.
Yamaha GT-2000 w/ Denon DL110- great mids, highs, smooth never fatiguing but bass compromised. Stylus got wrecked, so kaput.

Tried Audio Technica AT160ML- bought used, maybe needs replacement AT440 stylus. Sounded flat, un-engaging.

Moved to Dual 701 w/ Shure V15III low hours SAS stylus. Not as smooth nor as balanced in mids and highs as I remember the Denon, but bottom-end punch just perfect. Leaves AT and Denon carts dead in the water.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Denon 103 is a GT-2000 owners' favourite but a little pricey.
Shure cart w/ Dual headshell incompatible to try on GT-2000.
Thanks.

I have both V15-III w/ SAS and the DL 110.

The Shure has the bottom end punch you mention, and the SAS provides lots of details. The DL-110 has the smooth, natural sound that you hear with MC's ... it is an entry level MC.

If each is set up optimally on the correct arm I would give the edge to the V15-III w/ SAS.

Which is better? It depends on what you play them on. For the GT-2000, I would not use the V15-III w/ SAS because I do not think it matches well with the tonearm.

It could be time to re-tip the DL-110 or invest in something that is a better match for your excellent turntable. It could be time to go LOMC if you have the funds.
 
I have the GT 750 which has a very similar if not same arm and I am using a denon cart with lightweight headshell, (see photos). The lightweight headshell (6g) brings the tonearm mass down to 15g which gives me more cartridge choices. This combo sounds fantastic and pairs up really well with no issues from footfalls, warped records etc.

Highly recommended.



 
Last edited:
Okay, many thanks for that. Impressions echoed in your comments. Could be time to try the DL103, but I can't use the Yaqin MS12B pre I like so much. I run that through a Yamaha C2a which has MC capabilities so 103 a contender.
ateal- interesting! Thank you for the photo. Perhaps I could try a new stylus. Yes, the GT-750 arm is similar but not the same. The headshell I have for the AT160 isn't a lightweight model, so could be some incompatibility with tonearm.
AT440 stylus or twice the price for a new DL103R or Mk11.
 
Back
Top Bottom