• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shute rs 5t cartridge on Realistic Lab 395

poohface75

New Member
Hi everyone

Recently purchased a Realistic Lab 395 at a garage sale for $20. Sounds good with the few records I have at this point. I know fairly little about turntables so am looking for some advice/input. The cartridge appears to be a Shure RS 5T or maybe R47 EDT…or maybe stylus is RS5T?. I have attached some photos. Would these be the original cartridge and stylus? Like I said, things sound good, but when would I know if things should be replaced? If replacing would be a good idea what should I get? Is the turntable worth upgrading if needed? Any help is appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • D6289EDD-48CA-48D5-BACE-0EDC5560BC0B.jpeg
    D6289EDD-48CA-48D5-BACE-0EDC5560BC0B.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 50DFFC41-20E2-4598-9825-90F017076696.jpeg
    50DFFC41-20E2-4598-9825-90F017076696.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 44
  • F7813D32-9695-4E7D-9A17-CFDCD8D2F834.jpeg
    F7813D32-9695-4E7D-9A17-CFDCD8D2F834.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yes those are original as a couple years back I bought a NOS Lab 390, the S arm version of yours I believe .

The person I gave the TT to loves it and that stylus is a really nice one. I think its a .0002 x .0007 tip.

Athanasios
 
R47EDT is the cartridge model number. Radio Shack rebadged Shure M75ED. Very nice Shure cartridge. A Shure N75ED would be the common name for a replacement stylus. Nice TT, too!

Since you’re new to this, you may not know whether your stylus (needle) is still sharp or worn, by listening. It’s probably still good. Have you read yet how to set up your table, arm, cartridge? Or has anyone shown you? Also, you should clean your records; it’ll increase your enjoyment, needle life, and record life.
 
Last edited:
..Radio Shack rebadged Shure M75ED. Very nice Shure cartridge. A Shure N75ED would be the common name for a replacement stylus. Nice TT, too!..

That would make the light-green stylus on the pictured TT a N75EJ.
0,4x0,7 elliptical with tracking force 1,5-3 grams.
Not bad at all, but a N75ED (original specs: nude 0,2x0,7 at 0,75-1,5 grams) would be an upgrade. But be aware that original specs do not automaticly apply on gerenic stylus with the same name/number.

Have fun
-John-
 
Back
Top Bottom