• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Signs of the Audio Apocalypse- Vol 1

I've never really had any luck with any of those places, and don't really want to devote hours a day in searching. My best deals have been courtesy of AK members near, and far.
 
If you make it up to my neck of the woods (or vice versa), I have a Marantz 235 with your name on it.:thmbsp:

Ooooo, incentive! Specialidiot (Minneapolis area) has been trying to get me up there for years. Might have to work something out now. :D

Ray
 
Gee, I just got a Pioneer TX-9500 tuner and Pioneer SX-6500 MK-II amp at the local goodwill for $10. Dusted them off, they worked good. Just something somebody didn't want anymore. $50 for the Pioneer SX-750 might be high if you were looking to flip it, but certainly in my ballpark for a great sounding unit. The one I sold had a great tuner.
 
It would certainly be nice to find that proverbial old, mint condition (insert item here) thats been sitting around untouched for years, for a pittance.

I think this is the core objective and underlying meaning of the OP.

But, really, as much as I would love to have one of each classic, vintage example, how practical is it? Bragging rights are definitely part of it, but you still have stacks and stacks of gear, some working, some not.

It would be such a burden to actually swap out stuff in a system and use it. But, if it makes you happy, then that's fine.

I would love to have, say, a 10B. But not unless it has been recently re-aligned and upgraded. Do I really need a $1500 tuner? No! Do I want one? Of course... Nothing new here.

I have sold off many components before they inevitably needed repairs. They're nice to have, but are eventual money pits.
 
Well, I stirred it up a bit and that's OK- it's just that I've been "scrounging" for a long time, and it seems that recently everything has just been jacked up high wherever I go. It may be (as suggested) that the vintage gear is attracting more people now, and that's a GOOD thing. It's supply and demand, I understand, but somehow the profit motive tarnishes it a bit for me.
That's all I really wanted to say...
wizargoz
 
I never find any electronics at my local GW, found some BPC at one by a friends house. The SA by where I used to work moved across town but the day manager used to sell me stuff at half price all the time. The pawn shop I used to find stuff at has gone to a "if it's not home theater stuff we don't want it" policy. Which are all OK I've got too much stuff piled up now, need to get busy and fix and sell some stuff.
 
Higher prices do have an upside - the flippers walk away leaving the items for someone else to decide. When everything is $4.99 it all goes to whoever gets there first, and that's often not more than 10 minutes on the floor and it's gone.
 
I agree packrat,
I bought my Altec Valencias from the local Salvation Army store.At the time the Aussie dollar was low against the US dollar and they would have cost the then equivalent of $190 US.
In Aussie dollar values at the time they were $350.Now at that price they sat there for 2 weeks,that I know of.I'd only barely had a dim awareness of the name Altec,thought they looked really ugly,but knew they could be interesting.
When I got paid I went back,they were still there.I knew that $350 was going to mean things would be tight until I got paid again,but I felt I'd kick myself if I didn't buy them.
Boy am I glad I did.:yes:
I get the feeling that the moaners who whine that they can't get a great component for peanuts anymore can't see value in something that's not for sale for peanuts.Otherwise,why whine and moan?
Sometimes you gotta pay more than peanuts,but what you are getting is really still a bargain.If one can't see that,well I'm probably wasting my breath.
Like packrat said,at least the component is still there for those of us who can see past a $10 limit.
Matter of fact,after I bought my speakers and was delighted by them I asked the dude at SA for a bit of info about where they came from etc.He said he'd had people coming in offering him $50 for them.He knew they were good hence the $350 price tag.I tell you now I'd pay that many times over after living with them for 4 and a half years.Thank GOD for cheapskates who want everything for peanuts,they leave the bargains for those who can see past their wallet.
 
Well, I stirred it up a bit and that's OK- it's just that I've been "scrounging" for a long time, and it seems that recently everything has just been jacked up high wherever I go. It may be (as suggested) that the vintage gear is attracting more people now, and that's a GOOD thing. It's supply and demand, I understand, but somehow the profit motive tarnishes it a bit for me.
That's all I really wanted to say...
wizargoz

Which PHX GW did you go to?? There are 2 that I go to in the far west valley and have had decent luck 1 time. I have also been told that ther is a "as-is" GW somewhere in town where pieces can be had for a flat $6 each. Haven't made it there yet but all of what I purchased from the person that told me about it worked and was for the most part in good cosmetic condition.:D Part of it seemed to be timing. I have started only going on 1/2 price Saturdays and getting there very early. My DCM's and CV's never even made it to rest on the shelf before I had them in my cart and even then there were a couple of peeps eyeballing my grabs,.:smoke::smoke::smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom