• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Silver Faced / Vintage CD Players

ejecta

Member
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew of good model vintage cd players with silver faces? I'm not interested in black plastic in the least even if it is so called vintage.

I'm basically looking for something to match my existing pioneer gear, I'm currently making do with a 2007 brushed aluminium faced Grundig but would vastly prefer something that was silver aluminium and vintage!

Anyone know of any models, have pics etc?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
As a matter of fact, yes.

I just picked up a Luxman D-405 silver faced CD player, and for it's vintage, it's a great player!

It's got a very beefy CD drawer, and when I compared the analog out against my reference Denon 5910, it's very hard to tell the difference.

Highly recommended.
 
Audio Research made some really neat all aluminum cd players but expect to pay some bucks! ;) I just bought a CD-1.
 
There's the Pioneer P-D70. An unused one just sold on ebay for $488. Another used one just went for $219.50.
 
I picked up a Cambridge Audio DVD player that has a nice silver face to it, and the dark blue display would match your Pioneer stuff nicely. :thmbsp:

dvd89.jpg


It'll play anything (CD, SACD, DVDA, DVD, etc.), the face is thick aluminum, it'll reduce the amount of spots in your system taken up by different sources, won't break the bank, and will kill most any vintage player, sound-wise. DACs have come a long way since the introduction of the CD -- why settle for something vintage that just can't compete?
 
I've got a silver faced vintage CD player upstairs here compliments of Pioneer. It still works but is nothing special IMHO. I've also got a silver Technics kind of like my MCS 6801 but at least my 6801 works properly, the Technics could use some work.
 
I've got a silver faced vintage CD player upstairs here compliments of Pioneer. It still works but is nothing special IMHO. I've also got a silver Technics kind of like my MCS 6801 but at least my 6801 works properly, the Technics could use some work.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics laying about would you? ;)
 
Here's a pic of the Grundig I use currently, it's official designation is "GDP 5240".

It does the job, but I'm a nitpicker so it's digital screen sticks out and it's buttons really don't match all the other gear which it strictly knobs & switches.
 

Attachments

  • Grundig.jpg
    Grundig.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 52
go with the DENON DCD-1500. it may not be silver, but it is well designed, easy to service, and it has a unique, gorgeous "analog" sound!! it is so easy to service, in fact, that one could obtain a mint reference chassis, and get extras to transplant the transport assembly module when the current module's laser dies! but that is a rare enough occurance, as these are among the hardiest, most reliable CDPs ever made! plus, it'll play nearly anything you throw at it! i cannot recommend this CDP enough...

DCD-1500Henry.jpg

DCD-1500Henry3.jpg

DCD-1500Henry4.jpg

DCD-1500Henry7.jpg

DCD-1500Henry8.jpg

DCD-1500Henry9.jpg

DCD-1500Henry10.jpg


(bear in mind, however, that those optional rosewood side panels are extremely H.A.R.D. to come by! also note that they DO NOT come stock with those DENON gold-ringed insulators. i culled those from a 1990 model DENON CDP. it is a recommended modification as it enhances it's looks.)
 
D/A converters have come so far that I just can't understand the obsession with vintage players.

As a transport MAYBE...

There are a handfull of excellent models that are worthy of praise, but they aren't inexpensive by any estimate.

Evan
 
D/A converters have come so far that I just can't understand the obsession with vintage players.

As a transport MAYBE...

There are a handfull of excellent models that are worthy of praise, but they aren't inexpensive by any estimate.

Evan

why? because some of them, particularly the DENON up there, and the PIONEER PD-91 as well, sound VERY, VERY GOOD. besides, where else on earth these days could you find cosmetics and build quality as shockingly beautiful as this?

PIONEER PD-91 REFERENCE COMPACT DISC PLAYER/TRANSPORT (1988)

PD-91GARLAND20.jpg

PD-91GARLAND9.jpg

PD-91GARLAND10.jpg

PD-91GARLAND12.jpg

PD-91GARLAND4.jpg

PD-91GARLAND5.jpg

PD-91GARLAND1.jpg

PD-91GARLAND.jpg

PD-91GARLAND2.jpg

PD-91GARLAND3.jpg

PD-91GARLAND13.jpg

PD-91GARLAND18.jpg

PD-91GARLAND21.jpg


the greatest CDP pioneer ever made, bar none.
 
Your PD-91 was one of the decks I was referring to. If memory serves laser assemblies are NLA. Ill pass.. the PDS-95 transport is silver. I doubt your gonna drop 1k on a used transport.

I have a Denon DCD-3000, and its a good deck. Would I buy it vs. a good new player? Probably not.

Neither are silver faced BTW.

Evan
 
D/A converters have come so far that I just can't understand the obsession with vintage players.

As a transport MAYBE...

There are a handfull of excellent models that are worthy of praise, but they aren't inexpensive by any estimate.

Evan

Have to agree with you on this one.
Dont get me wrong guys, but after comparing my Lux 105u (tubed/ $1500 in 1987) player to a $199 Pioneer carosel player left me sick to my stomach (sounded as good). Only when I got a Marantz unit did the sound quality go up.
Yes there are good vintage units out there, but you'll still pay a pretty penney for a USED unit with an uncertain future, parts wise.

build quality on the PD 91 is stunning BTW
 
I am sure they are great, I am a jolida fan.

I guess my point was to keep your options open, I didn't mean to threadcrap.
 
Hi,

How about a nice Magnavox (nee Philips) FD 1000 or FD 1010 SL. These have either a CDM-0 or CDM-1 transport. The best ever made. Also, B&O Beogram CDX or a ReVox player. Same mechanics. Superbly made in the vintage manner and very excellent sounding players.
 
Back
Top Bottom