rmunson
Well-Known Member
Hey Everyone -
One project that I'm working on is a simple power supply to help me understand how AC power magically gets sliced in half and smoothed out like butter. Here's where my question for the group comes in --
In some simple PS designs I see a cap coming off the diode rectifier -- sometimes its somewhat low - say 220uF other times it's quite large - say 2200uF -- is bigger always better with the filter cap? Could someone describe to how to determine how much filter cap one really needs? Sometimes I kind of feel like people are just going with the idea that bigger is automatically better --
Thanks!
Reed
One project that I'm working on is a simple power supply to help me understand how AC power magically gets sliced in half and smoothed out like butter. Here's where my question for the group comes in --
In some simple PS designs I see a cap coming off the diode rectifier -- sometimes its somewhat low - say 220uF other times it's quite large - say 2200uF -- is bigger always better with the filter cap? Could someone describe to how to determine how much filter cap one really needs? Sometimes I kind of feel like people are just going with the idea that bigger is automatically better --
Thanks!
Reed