• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sinatra- Live at the Sands R2R/ Other R2R

braxus

FeCr Type III
I know they released this allbum on reel to reel, as I have a copy. But being its a double album they reduced the speed on the tape to 3 3/4 IPS. I refuse to buy tapes at this speed since I won't set my deck up to play that speed. But I got this tape with another of Frank's tapes and usually all his tapes are at the 7.5 IPS speed. Was there ever a 7.5 IPS speed double tape of this album, or was it only released at the 3 3/4 IPS speed?

Also I've been buying pre-recorded reel to reels off Ebay of late and find the price varies. Usually the more sought after rock albums command a price. Anyway what kind of quality are people noticing on the recording if playing this format off pre-recorded tapes? My borrowed reel to reel deck has a bad EQ switch, so I never know what the sound is supposed to be like. I since abandoned the deck and will wait till I get my Otari.

And how many people record CD/ SACD/ DVD-A discs onto blank R2R tapes to color the sound and warm up the recording?
 
Register to hide this ad
I record cd's to blank R2R and they do sound much better and brighter.
I've recorded a lot of music this way and my results are always good.
 
Do it too..

I record cd's to blank R2R and they do sound much better and brighter.
I've recorded a lot of music this way and my results are always good.

I have done tapes on RTR and cassette. I does indeed warm them up. Nice 2300 Shane.

Eric:music:
 
Hi,

Sinatra At The Sands regrettably is 3 3/4 IPS only in the USA. This tape needed a double reel 7 1/2 IPS version available. I would suggest getting the DVD-A if you have a player, it is superb. Otherwise, get an early to middle period vinyl copy in nice shape. Many double albums and rock tapes were 3 3/4 IPS only. With pre-recorded reel tapes sound can vary widely. Most rock tapes were duplicated at 8X speed up. Most of the best tapes in this format pre-dated rock music's availability on reel tape. Generally pre 1970 Columbia titles had a good sounding 7 1/2 IPS version, Warner Brothers, Elektra, and Atlantic had good early 1970's tapes duplicated by Ampex and Magtec. Most RCA rock tapes were 3 3/4 IPS only until Magtec took over. The best Capitol tapes for rock titles were on Ampex tapes. Ampex and Magtec had the best rock and pop tapes as a rule. A & M was also good and 7 1/2 IPS.
 
It sucks because many good titles I see are 3 3/4 IPS only. Thing is I see many releases on both speeds, like Star Wars. It doesn't make sense to release the same recording on the same format, but have two different speeds. Every Elvis tape I've seen so far, and there are few sold, are the slower speed. I would think that time frame would be 7.5 IPS only. Weird.
 
I've bought maybe 10-12 prerecorded tapes and have been very pleased with all but one, it was a 7 1/2 Gordy label Temptations that was really muffled sounding. The classical stuff I've gotten was from Deutsche Grammophon, Ampex and London, and has been superb. The one that still slays me though is Blood, Sweat and Tears, Columbia CQ1057. I am not worthy.
 
As to the Elvis tape, I think RCA used 7.5 only for classical for a while, then switched to the slow speed, whereas all their pop releases were in 3 3/4. Maybe they felt pop wasn't "worthy" of the fast speed? Or maybe they didn't want to keep changing formats like some companies did with classical (first staggered head 15 IPS, staggered head 7.5 IPS, inline 7.5 IPS, inline 4-track 7.5 IPS, and finally inline 4-track 3 3/4).
 
Hi,

A note: Early to middle era RCA 4-Track tapes were all 7 1/2 IPS. In 1967, RCA switched to 3 3/4 IPS tapes. Until Magtec took over RCA 4-Track duplication around 1971 the 3 3/4 IPS tapes had to be lived with. This series continued to 1978. The early Stereo Elvis RCA reels were 7 1/2 IPS from 1961 to 1966. Those are very scarce in nice shape and coveted by Elvis collectors. The 3 3/4 IPS Elvis tapes were duplicated in much higher numbers and more of them survived.
 
Thanks for the info Kent. Do you know which (if any) Elvis or Jefferson Airplane reels were made at 7 1/2 by Magtec? Did they reissue anything from the '60s, or only put out new releases?
 
That Sinatra at the Sands is a great album though (I have it on CD). Awhile back they released a CD of the Basie band warming up the audience - it's called "Basie at the Sands - Before Frank". Also great listening. Recording quality is just stunning on some of the stuff done in the early 60s.
 
Back
Top Bottom