• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

SL-1700MKII new headshell/cartridge recommendations?

KMPLSV

Member
I am just about finished fixing up my SL-1700MKII turntable and it needs a new headshell and cartridge. I'm going to be powering it with a restored Pioneer SA-8800. I realize it's been asked a million times here and I have read through numerous old threads, but what are some good starter cartridge recommendations? This is my first table.

I'm looking for a warm sound. I'll be listening to everything from EDM (bass heavy), to classic rock, to heavy metal, to old school hip-hop. The Ortofon 2M series seems to be immensely popular. However, I've heard many good things about the Nagaoka MP-110 and I'm not afraid to try something just because it isn't as popular. For some reason I really feel like going for the MP-110. My budget is around $250.
 
Register to hide this ad
I am using an Audio-Technica VM540ML on my SL-1200MK2, which has the same tonearm as your turntable, and I can highly recommend it to you. It’s price is right at your budget, and you can get it even cheaper than that by using the coupon TIM2020 on Audio Technica’s website. It is a truly excellent sounding cartridge that brings a lot of bang for the buck.
 
Technics original factory OEM headshell, check owners manual but as I remember same as the SL-1200Mk2.
Are you recommending that I get the Technics OEM headshell no matter what cartridge I decide on? What if I decide on the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge? Would it still be better to get the Technics OEM headshell to use with the Nagaoka MP-110 as opposed to a Nagaoka headshell with the MP-110 cartridge?
 
If you buy the MP-110 with headshell, there's really no reason to buy another headshell, unless you need to change the tonearm mass to match the compliance of that particular cartridge.
But if that's the case you shouldn't get the version with headshell included in the first place... There are some nifty resonance calculators over at the vinylengine site ;)
 
Last edited:
The
Are you recommending that I get the Technics OEM headshell no matter what cartridge I decide on? What if I decide on the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge? Would it still be better to get the Technics OEM headshell to use with the Nagaoka MP-110 as opposed to a Nagaoka headshell with the MP-110 cartridge?
Nag headshells are way way too heavy. The Nag carts are low end of medium compliance so you need a light arm and the headshells they supply are good but way way way too heavy.
Chris
 
If you buy the MP-110 with headshell, there's really no reason to buy another headshell, unless you need to change the tonearm mass to match the compliance of that particular cartridge.
But if that's the case you shouldn't get the version with headshell included in the first place... There are some nifty resonance calculators over at the vinylengine site ;)
It just seems somewhat redundant to buy two headshells right off the bat. Then again, I am a rookie here.
 
The

Nag headshells are way way too heavy. The Nag carts are low end of medium compliance so you need a light arm and the headshells they supply are good but way way way too heavy.
Chris
So, Technics OEM headshell with the MP-110 cartridge? What's your opinion of the MP-110? It seems to get a lot of praise and appears to be set apart from the Ortofon crowd. I have absolutely no frame of reference as to why, but that is attractive to me.
 
I am using an Audio-Technica VM540ML on my SL-1200MK2, which has the same tonearm as your turntable, and I can highly recommend it to you. It’s price is right at your budget, and you can get it even cheaper than that by using the coupon TIM2020 on Audio Technica’s website. It is a truly excellent sounding cartridge that brings a lot of bang for the buck.

Thanks for the Audio Technica website coupon reference, mackat. First time really looking around the AK site and its already paid off! Just ordered the AT VM740ML for my Technics SL-1610MKII ...
 
Last edited:
So, Technics OEM headshell with the MP-110 cartridge? What's your opinion of the MP-110? It seems to get a lot of praise and appears to be set apart from the Ortofon crowd. I have absolutely no frame of reference as to why, but that is attractive to me.
The Technics and copies is light so the effective mass of the arm is close to optimal for the cart. The headshell supplied by Nag is way way too heavy for the dynamic compliance regardless of the arm used.
Chris
 
I really like the Grado Gold on that table. Mine is an 1800mk2 but same thing for the most part.
The Grado is a bit warmer overall than an AT but still very accurate and fun to listen to. I've heard people worry about hum and tracking issues with Grados but they seem to play really nice with the Technics arm. Mine has tracked perfectly and is dead quiet.
 
Thanks for the Audio Technica website coupon reference, mackat. First time really looking around the AK site and its already paid off! Just ordered the AT VM740ML for my Technics SL-1610MKII ...
You are very welcome, I’m glad I could help! I’m sure that you will enjoy it a lot for years to come. :music:
 
I am using an Audio-Technica VM540ML on my SL-1200MK2, which has the same tonearm as your turntable, and I can highly recommend it to you. It’s price is right at your budget, and you can get it even cheaper than that by using the coupon TIM2020 on Audio Technica’s website. It is a truly excellent sounding cartridge that brings a lot of bang for the buck.
At what point do you enter the coupon code? How much is the coupon for?
 
Back
Top Bottom