• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SL-1800mk2 question

malenky

New Member
I just recently got my SL-1500mk1 and it works perfectly, and its great. But now I see that I can get a SL-1800mk2 pretty cheap, so my question is would it be worth it to me to buy the 1800 and sell the 1500? I'd like an upgrade path close to the 1200, and it seems the 1800mk2 is close. I know it seems silly, the two tables being similar, but just curious as to your opinions.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd say the 1500 MK2 is marginally better, but I would never, ever pass up an SL1800MK2 that came across my path.

The SL1800MK2 shares lots of parts with the 1200, and can be upgraded just like the SL1200MK2 can.

I'd be giddy as a schoolgirl at a Beiber concert to be able to own BOTH of these tables- if you have room for both, and the finances, it's prudent and wise to keep 'em both.

You'll regret not grabbing the 1800MK2, and you'll regret selling the 1500MK2- really.
 
why would the 1500 be better? The 1800 has vta on the fly adjustment and the 1500 doesn't...
 
You are correct on the 1800MK2- I do like the arm much better on the 1800MK2. Good point.

The 1500MK2 is sprung like the 1800MK2, but runs a heavier platter and is a heavier base. I'm fond of heavier platters.

Good point about the arm!
 
The SL1800 has VTA, the first iteration doesn't.

I'd get it (hey, any çheap' SL1xxx is a no brainer) and try both for a while before deciding which to keep. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
I'd say the 1500 MK2 is marginally better, but I would never, ever pass up an SL1800MK2 that came across my path.

The SL1800MK2 shares lots of parts with the 1200, and can be upgraded just like the SL1200MK2 can.

I'd be giddy as a schoolgirl at a Beiber concert to be able to own BOTH of these tables- if you have room for both, and the finances, it's prudent and wise to keep 'em both.

You'll regret not grabbing the 1800MK2, and you'll regret selling the 1500MK2- really.

Paul he owns a 1500 not the MKII version.
 
I think the 1800MkII as the fully manual version of that part of the series was considered the home audiophile's 1200. Any day you can get one cheap is a great day. I got the 1600MkII fully auto version silly-cheap at a thrift store.
 
Newly Acquired SL-1800MK2

owning two fully modded 1800MKII I'd say a GREAT BIG YES........... go get it.

Hello,

I have been reading thru the forum and noticed your a owner of an 1800MK2 as well. I was wondering what upgrades you have done as well and where do you find parts. I have a problem with my Pitch Control LEDS, know what the problem is (replace IC427..NEC D4011C), but unable to locate a replacement for it. Do you have any ideas where to get or a spare laying around to...

Thanks
Jack
 
Hello,

I have been reading thru the forum and noticed your a owner of an 1800MK2 as well. I was wondering what upgrades you have done as well and where do you find parts. I have a problem with my Pitch Control LEDS, know what the problem is (replace IC427..NEC D4011C), but unable to locate a replacement for it. Do you have any ideas where to get or a spare laying around to...

Thanks
Jack

Did you see this response in the other thread you posted to?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6303948&postcount=10

These seem to be available. Also a Google search yields more results.

John
 
Back
Top Bottom