• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SL1200MK2 headshell questions

efhjr

Can you be more specific?
I acquired a Technics SL1200MK2 recently and am having trouble balancing the tonearm. I didn't get the stock headshell with it, so I've been trying a Pioneer headshell with a run-of-the-mill AT cart installed. I can balance the arm with this headshell/cart installed, but I don't have any room on the arm to set the VTF.

Which leads me to wonder, is the SL1200MK2 headshell heavier than what I'm using? Does any of this make sense? I sure didn't have any trouble balancing the JMW9 arm on my VPI Scout.
 
Register to hide this ad
is the SL1200MK2 headshell heavier than what I'm using?
Unlikely. I've weighed the Technics at 7.6g, and it's one of the lightest headshells out there. I'm going to flip over all the cards and take a wild guess on this one. You're mounting an AT3600 on an black, grid-type headshell (which weighs only a few tenths more than the Technics shell) and trying to set the tracking force at maybe 2.5g. Am I close? Do I win? :D

You either need to add weight (maybe a piece of blu-tac or other putty) on the headshell or use a heavier cart that requires a lower tracking force. If you must use that cartridge and need a good looking solution, and need it fast, Guitar Center and other music stores that stock DJ supplies usually sell the Stanton H4S headshell that comes with 2g and 4g weights that neatly screw into a hole on the top of the headshell.

If you have already have a Scout, I assume this is for a different room or another person?
 
Am I close? Do I win? :D

Yes, you're close. We have a winner!

You either need to add weight (maybe a piece of blu-tac or other putty) on the headshell or use a heavier cart that requires a lower tracking force.

Thanks for the great info. I'll look into either a heavier cart or headshell.

If you have already have a Scout, I assume this is for a different room or another person?

Nope, it's for me. I actually have a phono pre with two inputs (Juicy Music Tercel), and I use the Scout for stereo and the other table (currently a Lenco L75) for mono -- I'm considering using the 1200 as the mono table.
 
Back
Top Bottom