• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SL1600 Auto return not working

J-DUB

New Member
Here is a link to the video of the improper function.


If I manually return the tonearm, the power cuts off as it should. But if I let the auto return initiate, it returns the tonearm then repeats instead of turning off as it should. Almost like it's trying to do a repeat. The repeat knob starts out at 1 and returns to zero as it should. I'm stumped. I see nothing broken or sticky in the movements. Help!!
 
Register to hide this ad
Try taking the arm assembly off, and regreasing all the pivot points, and such.
Man, I figured it out late last night. Racked my brain for hours. The cause was from working on it without the little rubber feet installed. With the SL1600/1700/1800 that have the suspended plinth, having the feet properly installed actually keeps the internals from binding. So, my top shell was sitting too far down over the base. This was causing my repeat knob to not reset the part that kills the repeat function. So, every time the tonearm returned, it would essentially repeat. Phew!
 
Good troubleshooting!

For those who find this thread but have their feet intact: The other possible explanation is the grease solidified on the repeat select mechanism pivot. A good cleaning and regreasing with synthetic silicone grease will fix it.
 
For sure. Always de-grease Technics turntables. It almost always causes problems. Luckily, someone had already removed most all of it from this unit.
 
Back
Top Bottom