• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Slight buzz from MA230

cspyon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just picked up MA230 from authorized McIntosh dealer in Maryland, ProTech. It was in great working condition, except for a loud audible buzz from the choke right behind the power transformer when powered on. The technician thoroughly checked it and identified the cause of the buzzing: the old four big can caps. So, he replaced them with the caps tailored to factory specs and a couple of resistors inside. Now, the buzz I used to hear was gone, but when I put my ears close to the unit, I still hear a very slight buzz. I'm not sure if it's a mechanical or transformer buzz. Out of 10 buzzing noise, I would say it's 1 or 2. Is this kind of slight buzz inevitable? Just curious.
 

Attachments

  • 20231011_215702.jpg
    20231011_215702.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have never owned an MA230, however:

Hum vs buzz. I have no way of quantifying how loud the sound is, so normal will be hard to determine from “slight” or “1 or 2” for me. Maybe someone else with a healthy MA230 can tell you if it should be absolutely silent. Normally, most equipment with 60Hz power and a transformer will make some sound if you listen closely enough, which is expected. With the power transformer potted they are usually quite quiet.

Your description of a “buzz” though wouldn’t seem normal to me. I consider a hum to be a soft sound without harshness, which is what I would expect to hear if I listen closely in a quiet room. A “buzz” however I consider to have harshness, much like the Wahl trimmer that a Barber would use, has a sharpness, a cracking to it, not normal. No McIntosh gear I’ve ever owned nor heard has ever had a sharpness to the sound that the PT makes when powered up, tube or solid-state.

Maybe this doesn’t make any sense, and hopefully that someone with lots of MA230 experience will show up.
 
I have never owned an MA230, however:

Hum vs buzz. I have no way of quantifying how loud the sound is, so normal will be hard to determine from “slight” or “1 or 2” for me. Maybe someone else with a healthy MA230 can tell you if it should be absolutely silent. Normally, most equipment with 60Hz power and a transformer will make some sound if you listen closely enough, which is expected. With the power transformer potted they are usually quite quiet.

Your description of a “buzz” though wouldn’t seem normal to me. I consider a hum to be a soft sound without harshness, which is what I would expect to hear if I listen closely in a quiet room. A “buzz” however I consider to have harshness, much like the Wahl trimmer that a Barber would use, has a sharpness, a cracking to it, not normal. No McIntosh gear I’ve ever owned nor heard has ever had a sharpness to the sound that the PT makes when powered up, tube or solid-state.

Maybe this doesn’t make any sense, and hopefully that someone with lots of MA230 experience will show up.
Thanks for your kind explanation. As a novice in this field, I think I wrongly described that little audible noise as 'buzz' instead of 'hum', based on your explanation. It definitely is not what you described as 'harshness'. I hear it only when I put my ears close to the unit. This soft little noise comes from the unit itself, not from the speakers, so I thought it was not some like speaker hum), but a transformer buzz.
 
Last edited:
There is no official hum or buzz definition, I’m just trying to find a way to understand what you hear, and from your description it is likely within the range of normal sounds or at least not a failing transformer, hopefully we’ll hear from other MA230 owners.
 
There is no official hum or buzz definition, I’m just trying to find a way to understand what you hear, and from your description it is likely within the range of normal sounds or at least not a failing transformer, hopefully we’ll hear from other MA230 owners.
Thanks for your observation. It's been fully tested and all the failing caps and resistors replaced, so I don't worry. I asked because I was curious. Time for happy listening!
 
Back
Top Bottom