• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SM 125 tweeter question

KSwitzer

New Member
I have a blown tweeter, part # 902-6688. Infinity wants $100 for a pair of stock replacements (now part # 902-2107). I can't see putting that kind of money into speakers with about $100 street value, but I see lots of other tweeters on ebay with the same mounting pattern like the 902-6318 and 902-5226 for lot less money.

My question is whether I can get away with using 902-6318's or 5226's, or even emit 902-5023's with the SM125's. I don't know how to find out relative sound qualities for these tweeters or if they're compatible with the SM125 crossover's.
 
Register to hide this ad
Neither one of those would match the existing tweeter. In fact, if you're not going to get original replacements, you might as well go third party and replace both sides. You'll find good replacement tweeters on Parts Express for much less money than what Infinity wants for the OEM replacements. As you said, these are only $100 speakers, and the Infinity Polycells are decent, but nothing special
 
I did plan to replace both sides, but how can I tell what tweeter specs will match the originals? I don't even know what impedence they need to be.
 
They're probably 8Ω. If you have a mutlimeter you can measure the resistance of the good one, which will give you a general idea.

Have you determined absolutely that the tweeter is blown? Test it out of the cabinet, or swap them between cabinets?
 
I agree, probably 8 ohm. I didn't check it yet. I did get the replacement part number from Infinity though and found 10 sets of them on ebay for $43 shipped. They were mislabeled in the listing, but when I looked at the pictures, they were they part I needed. Lucky day.

Thanks for your help and encouragement...
 
Back
Top Bottom