• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Smoke Detectors Crying Wolf!

MJSNet

"Who, me???"
Subscriber
Imagine you are sleeping sound, dreaming of tubes and wires (Miss Sacremento, you’re BEAUTIFUL!) and out of nowhere at a little after four, the heart-pounding, shrilly-screeching BEEP – BEEP – BEEP – BEEP – BEEP!!!

What the… was I dreaming? Screechy-shrilling BEEP – BEEP – BEEP – BEEP – BEEP!!!

Suddenly, I realize “SMOKE ALARMS!!!!”

I run to the bedroom door, feel it for heat (thanks 3rd grade!)… Nothing! Open the door, frantically running through the house. No smoke, no bright dancing lights indicating fire anywhere. Check the garage, the basement, absolutely nothing! I pulled TWO smoke alarms down and removed the batteries and stayed up the rest of the morning, and absolutely nothing. Not even a hint. Chalked it up to another one of those strange universal occurrences in my life, changed the batteries and put them back up the following night.

BEEP – BEEP – BEEP – BEEP – BEEP, not at four, this time quarter after three. Again, no fire, no smoke. Frustrated, I just removed the batteries and went back to bed resolving to buy new detectors.

Forgot about it (oops) and remembered about a week later so I decided to put the old ones back up instead. Both bad? Not likely, but I guess possible. Two weeks went by without incident, but then of course, it started again.

I want to run this by you guys so you can see if the following theory (the only theory I have) fits, and if not, give me yours. If my theory is right, buying new ones won’t help, but if you agree with me, then I can at least address that issue and sleep better. If your theory is right, you have my indebted gratitude because I am afraid this crying-wolf thing is going to burn me in the end (I don't even check the door anymore. They didn't cover that in third grade!) Even if I go and buy new detectors, I really won’t believe that was the problem (since the old ones went without error for those two weeks and I'm pretty sure they would be fine tonight.) Knowing why is the peace of mind I am looking for. :yes:

My theory: I have an electronic, programmable thermostat to save energy (or offset my audio draw :D) and it is set to 62 at night. We have had brutally cold, windy nights, at or below 0 with wind chills to -30. Could the smoke detectors be getting really cold while the house is cooling down and then when the heat kicks on (when it gets below 62) the sudden rise in temperature tricks the detectors into thinking there is a fire? Two detectors are affected, they are the same make and model, independently powered and in the same relative area (within 50’ of each other.) I have baseboard, boiler heat (not steam) but the smoke detectors are not directly above any of the runs. The smoke detectors are about 6 feet from a hallway entrance, which does have a baseboard along it part of the way in the hall. I have lived here, in this house, with these detectors for over 7 years (thermostats about 4 years) without incident before, but this winter has been unseasonably chilly here. What do you think? Anyone? :scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
Are your smoke alarms hard wired with a battery backup or strictly battery operated?

Our experience as you describe happens to us when one of our hard wired smoke alarms needs to have its 9v battery backup replaced. The first time this happened to us it nearly gave me a heart attack as I was startled out of a deep sleep. Come to find out that when the backup battery went out it (for some reason) caused the smoke alarm to sound off. Now, when I hear any smoke alarm start to "chirp" because of a weak battery I replace all the batteries in all of our 6 smoke alarms. I don't want to go through that again unless it is for real.

So check your batteries. It your alarms start to chirp, it is time to replace the batteries.
 
Thanks for the response. They are not hardwired. Just your garden variety 9v detectors. Fresh batteries were put in the first time they went off.
 
I've had them go off in high humidity situations- like steam. Exiting the shower or washing dishes in very hot steamy water.

Possibly they could also be collecting moisture perchance and causing havoc.

This would happen with older units that had accumulated a bit of dust over the years. The dust either acted as a conduit of sorts for the moisture/condencation or impurities in the dust might have plated a role.
 
Darn dust bunnies! That could be it; sounds like their M.O. I'll check. Thanks!
 
It was more of the steam activating them- they didn't do it without the steam and rapid temperature change (steam being hot and all!).

I think the dust just acted as a conduit.


I just remembered another incident that would trigger some in a shop I worked at- sweeping the floors after a particularly busy day in the wood shop, the sawdust would set them off.
 
Several things to check, not necessarily in the order of importance:
1) If they are 10 years old just replace them. Those kind of smoke detectors have a finite life. They only cost $10 ~ $15 each. That is a very small investment in your safety.
2) They may just need to be cleaned. Remove the protective screen. They usually just pry off, especially if they are the photo-electric type. They may not come apart so easily if they are the more common Ionization type of battery operated smoke detector. To clean them spray compressed air through the openings into the chamber. Be careful not to get liquid from the canned air into the chamber. Go real easy with that canned air on Ionization detectors. A brush and a few strong puffs of air from you as if you were blowing out birthday candles may suffice. Dusty and dirty smoke detectors become hyper sensitive and can go into alarm for no apparent reason just as you describe.
3) While you are up close to the detector look for signs of spiders. They love to build nests in dark high places. If they have infested one or more of your detectors just replace them.
4) If they are the Ionization type and you replace them, don't just throw the old ones out. They must be returned to the manufacturer or another location that can properly dispose of the minute amount of radio active material inside. A landfill is not such a final location. Check for labels on the back or Google "Ionization smoke detector disposal" for more information.
5) The worst thing you can do is to take the batteries out and leave yourself and your family unprotected.
6) If you do replace all of your detectors in your home consider interconnected detectors that will cause all of them to sound if one detects smoke. That can be a life saver if the one in the basement detects smoke while you are sleeping on an upper floor. Kidde makes wireless interconnected smoke detectors. (check Google or a local electrical supply company) While you are at it, if you do not presently have smoke detectors inside each bedroom, this is the time to add them. A fire that starts inside a bedroom behind a closed door is usually fatal to that person if they are not awakened in time by luck. A smoke detector on the other side of the door in the hall is of little use in that situation. Modern building codes require interconnected smoke detectors in each sleeping area for a very good reason.

If you do upgrade your smoke detectors as a result of your false alarms, it could be a blessing in disguise. I hope that it never proves to be so.
 
Good advice given.

I usually get the dual sensor smoke detectors that have both photoelectric and ionization sensors.
 
Ultrahog hit it on the head. After weak batteries, spiders, dust, and age are the most common reasons that smoke detectors start "peeping" for now apparent reason. If they are pushing 7-10 years, just replace 'em. If newer, blow a little canned air into the detector chamber to see if you can purge the offending dust or spider.
 
Thanks guys! Great advice. I'll just go out and buy two new ones (and maybe a couple more for the bedrooms.) I do have other ones in the house, but they only go off when I broil :D
 
I would also check the detector to see if it possibly could also be detecting carbon monoxide. FWIK, and correct me if I'm wrong, There are some detectors that detect "smoke" and CO levels. It could be going off due to CO levels from malfunctioning heater.
 
:yikes: Spideehead69 is absolutely right... How is your house heated? Gas/Propane? Are you sure your you don't have a carbon monoxide problem??????!!!!!!!!! Many smoke detectors also sound the alarm for carbon monoxide. Are you or your family members waking up with a headache in the morning? Tired all day? Please look into that!

As mentioned above, all smoke detectors should be replaced every 5 or 7 years.

Charles
 
No, thank goodness. Those are smoke-only detectors. I have separate CO monitors and they remain silent. Thanks!
 
i find that smoke detectors seem to go off randomly when they get old. We just changed our "vintage" smoke alarm in the kitchen (it expired in the '80s), because the damn thing would go off at random. Now it only goes off if we're cooking and there's a bit of crap on the burner, or if I accidentally blow my cigarette smoke at it, unless the ceiling fan is on.

But whether it's electric or battery operated, I suggest changing it.
 
My sister once boiled some eggs and the steam set off the smoke alarm. Every since then, I accuse her of using the smoke alarm for a timer.
 
Back
Top Bottom