• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SMSL SA-98E: What is the dark magic?!?!

The chip in the 98e is rather old. I'd recommend trying the TPA3251 or TPA3255 if you need more power. They have better sound quality.

That is interesting, thanks for sharing that. I am getting more and more enthusiastic about the use of class D all the time, I even thought it was quite entertaining experimenting with it in the earlier days with the Sonic T etc, if I remember correctly what some were called :) But I've been playing with it a lot lately and its come on so much, especially in the pro audio world. It just keeps getting better and better, and its size cost and weight is unlike anything that's come before it.



There seems to be a slight issue with it in general though when using it with low level noise, or hiss, distortion which can vary to some extent. Of the two you mentioned there one seems to be used more with a Bluetooth receiver also which can often add to the issue it seems.
 
All I can say is I tried two TDA-based amps, one was the 98E that you mention. The hiss was very bad, I have sensitive speakers so am more attune to hiss, so I returned it. No TPA-based amps have produced significant hiss for me.

I also have heard no distortion in my many TPA-based amps. There was a lot of muddiness in my first class D amp, the venerable old Tripath, but that is now very old and there are much better options now.

You can get TPA-based amps in many configurations. I usually opt for ones with no tone controls and no bluetooth, to have a cleaner signal path. You can do the same if you like. That said, the one I do have with bluetooth has no hiss either.

Aiyima has units with the TPA3251 and TPA3255 with no tone or bluetooth, you might want to give one a try.
 
All I can say is I tried two TDA-based amps, one was the 98E that you mention. The hiss was very bad, I have sensitive speakers so am more attune to hiss, so I returned it. No TPA-based amps have produced significant hiss for me.

I also have heard no distortion in my many TPA-based amps. There was a lot of muddiness in my first class D amp, the venerable old Tripath, but that is now very old and there are much better options now.

You can get TPA-based amps in many configurations. I usually opt for ones with no tone controls and no bluetooth, to have a cleaner signal path. You can do the same if you like. That said, the one I do have with bluetooth has no hiss either.

Aiyima has units with the TPA3251 and TPA3255 with no tone or bluetooth, you might want to give one a try.
Thanks for this, yes they sound very worthy of a try. I know about being sensitive to hiss as well.
 
Aiyima has units with the TPA3251 and TPA3255 with no tone or bluetooth, you might want to give one a try.

So I just tried another from Amazon as I could try on a return basis, its a TDA98e, its the first 98e I tried, and it was selling quite a bit cheaper than the SMSL 98e but still having great reviews. I haven't given it much time but from the start, my verdict was the amplifier isn't bad but lacks a lot in midrange body and solid drive. Detail is quite nice though and nice and delicate sounding just a bit soft and lacking a bit of presence in its delivery. Hiss is slightly there but again not terrible. Its only really audible if you turn the amplifier quite loud when there is nothing playing, but most amplifiers would have some audible noise if you did that, but it claims to have nothing in the ad. Thankfully there is no pop or bump when you turn it on though. There is quite a bit of scratchiness on the volume pot though but things with these size volume pot are a bit prone to being not very good I expect, and the quality control would be low on these I imagine. But overall with everything considered its enough to make me want to try another.

This was the amp

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077GWVHHN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My next step is maybe order direct from China, again its a risk but its almost half the cost again, the return thing will be out of the question but maybe I'll get lucky and get a decent amp. I think I'd like to try one of those TPA's which you seen to have more enthusiasm for. Is there any preference to the TPA3251 or the PDA3255? Is one better than the other? Hopefully I will be more enthusiastic about the TPA than the TDA
 
The difference between the TPA3251 and 3255 is power, how much do you need? I don't need the power of the 3255 in my use. At the cost for these, I just assume they are experiments.

If you wanted a better built one and needed less power, you could get the Allo Volt + D.
 
The difference between the TPA3251 and 3255 is power, how much do you need? I don't need the power of the 3255 in my use. At the cost for these, I just assume they are experiments.

If you wanted a better built one and needed less power, you could get the Allo Volt + D.


hmm that's interesting, we are really jacking the price up with that though, it does look very well built though and Im sure it'll have some improvement in overall SQ especially with the stepped attenuator in there, no crackly pot at least. Comes without a PSU though which can be added on. Hmm still very tempted though if it sounds as good as it looks. But for that money, there may be better bargains to be had in the second hand market with reputable solid states out there.


Thanks for sharing that though, I am interested.
 
Back
Top Bottom