• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Snell type a tweeters

johnhoef

Well-Known Member
Hi, everyone,
I have an interesting question for you. This concerns the Snell type A speaker system. The tweeters have a small square of felt positioned over one side of the tweeter dome. I have never seen this before on any speakers. Wondering if this is official Snell design, or if some audiophile added this. Since the felt is obscuring one side of the dome, I would guess this has something to do with reducing the interference between the left and right tweeters? Any thoughts? Here's a photo:
 

Attachments

  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 32
Register to hide this ad
It looks like a DIY mod to me. Maybe someone wanted to reduce the tweeter output. Are there level controls on the back that work?
 
sound hound, thanks for your thoughts. I agree, it looks a lot like amateur work. We bought two pairs of these speakers from different sellers, yet all of them have this felt piece attached to the tweeters. This leads me to believe it is an official part of these Snell speakers. I would be curious to hear from some of you that own these speakers.
 
Hi, everyone,
I have an interesting question for you. This concerns the Snell type A speaker system. The tweeters have a small square of felt positioned over one side of the tweeter dome. I have never seen this before on any speakers. Wondering if this is official Snell design, or if some audiophile added this. Since the felt is obscuring one side of the dome, I would guess this has something to do with reducing the interference between the left and right tweeters? Any thoughts? Here's a photo:

that was a factory install. The earlier series of type As had that.

I have owned the original type As up to the A3i;s
 
that was a factory install. The earlier series of type As had that.

I have owned the original type As up to the A3i;s
Thank You very much always liberating when someone with experience and knowledge sets things straight!;)
 
Last edited:
Hi, everyone,
I have an interesting question for you. This concerns the Snell type A speaker system. The tweeters have a small square of felt positioned over one side of the tweeter dome. I have never seen this before on any speakers. Wondering if this is official Snell design, or if some audiophile added this. Since the felt is obscuring one side of the dome, I would guess this has something to do with reducing the interference between the left and right tweeters? Any thoughts? Here's a photo:
Peter Snell hand matched all the components to each individual speaker, so whatever you do, leave it alone!
 
I remember reading about it in reviews so it was original.
Guessing here, or find an owners manual, but the felt should probably go toward
adjacent wall to reduce side wall reflections with a direct path to the listener.
Can anyone confirm this?
 
the felt should probably go toward
adjacent wall to reduce side wall reflections with a direct path to the listener.
Can anyone confirm this?

It would make sense. If you consider a triangular relation between the two speakers and the listening position, the felt would block and muffle the sound from the tweeter obstructing it from the ears of the listener, if the felt were on the inside.
 
I remember reading about it in reviews so it was original.
Guessing here, or find an owners manual, but the felt should probably go toward
adjacent wall to reduce side wall reflections with a direct path to the listener.
Can anyone confirm this?

yes, correct. The felt side goes towards the side wall.
I used to have all the OEM literature, manuals and sales brochures. Lots of it may have been purged a few years ago.
 
Thanks, everyone for your opinions. This Audiokarma is such a valuable resource! OK, I'll see that the felt pieces at properly attached to the tweeters. For the missing felt, I would think a new piece of felt of the same dimensions should do the trick.
 
Back
Top Bottom