• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Snell Type E Woofer problem

msobeldc

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi, I'm a relative beginner in the speaker repair area. I got a wonderful pair of Snell Type E speakers from my late father and was trying to remove the woofers to refoam so I could give the speakers to my son who is just getting into audio. The original foam had deteriorated. I lost my grip on one of the speakers as I was desoldering the connection and it dropped and split the fine wire connecting the contact to the speaker. It appears that there is a small tear in the speaker paper as well. The Woofer is a SEAS 21F-WBM H10 4 Ohm. I am wondering if this can be fixed and if so, if anyone has any suggestions who I should contact? I live in the Washington, DC area. If not, does anyone know of a replacement woofer for this model? I know it was a boneheaded move so appreciate positive responses only. I'm already beating myself up over it. Thanks in advance for your help.
 

Attachments

  • snell 2.jpg
    snell 2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 18
  • snell 1.jpg
    snell 1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 17
Register to hide this ad
You could also try Brian at Holt Hill Audio, AK member @baco99 He serviced my E woofers & tweeters and had Snell parts available if something went awry.

https://holthill.com/

Atomic HiFi (google them) has Snell parts too but they're fairly pricey. You have options and will enjoy your Es once up and running.
 
I'll second the suggestions above, if you seek to send it out for service or replace.

If you seek to try it yourself first (very low cost, what's the harm? Worth a shot!), you could attack the two issues separately:

-For the broken lead, get new tinsel wire and solder it. I did this on one my own father's E/III drivers (See https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/rats-ate-the-dang-wires.694283/)

-For the cone tear, a small piece of tissue that has been soaked in watered-down PVA glue (Aileen's, Elmer's) applied to the back side may be just the ticket

Good luck! My father's own Snell E/IIIs are a great part of my own relationship with my father, so I can identify with what you're doing!
 
Back
Top Bottom