• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So far this is my peice mill Sony ES system...hoping for advice from Sony ES Guru's

I have been piece milling a complete Sony ES System. So far I have a ModelTA-N55ES (subject to replacing),
A Model TA-E80ES Stereo Control Amplifier and a Model ST-S730ES. I decided against going with a Sony Turntable, instead I purchaded a Akai BT-500 and so far have been very happy with its performance even though the stock AT Stylus needs upgrading bad. I was hoping to get other people thoughts who I know there are many many more knowledgable about Sony equipment on whether I should replace my Power Amplifier TA-N55ES and if you thinks so any suggestions on what model to look for I certainly would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
See if can do this....lol

Also forgot my Klipsch RF-280F speakers
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 102
Thanks Audioraven for the kind words and yes the N77 I would love to have with those lighted needles. There's one on ebay now. Do you think it's a good buy. What are your thoughts...thanks man, I appreciate it!
 
Thanks Audioraven for the kind words and yes the N77 I would love to have with those lighted needles. There's one on ebay now. Do you think it's a good buy. What are your thoughts...thanks man, I appreciate it!
Vintage crank, everyone that I've ever seen post about or spoken about the N77 love it. I love mine, even more so the more I listen to it.
 
Those 77's do not come cheap, you have to pay a premium for those sexy meters. Since you already have a 55 you could buy a second and run them in bridged mono. That would be 300WPC instead of the 200WPC of the 77 for less money. Of course that would mean no bouncing needles.
 
Audioraven, that's a great idea, and your right. Those lighted needles are expensive. I wished they would have made these into the 90's. I think the 77's stopped production in 1984 or 1985
 
If you can get over dancing needles, you could instead get another TA-N55ES and run one per channel, bridged. Or, step up from that to the TA-N80ES which is effectively the same amp w/o the meters, but a lot more affordable (it's technically the mate to your preamp, IIRC).

Not that there's anything wrong with the TA-N55ES mind you - I own five of them myself, great all-around power amp.

Could also add more sources, there were some good ES tape decks & CD players in that period. My stack looks like this (sorry for the crappy pic, can't find my better ones since the site rebuild):

index.php


Same tuner as yours, and there are a pair of TA-N55ES amps lower in the rack, preamp is the TA-DM1000ES (whole-house pre/controller) and I have a TC-WR99ES tape deck & CDP-C90ES CD changer as well - all geared more towards that whole house application rather than single-play listening, but they're all fine sonically.


John
 
John, that looks pretty cool to me. A guy I do business with here in Houston has a few more 55's. That's all he does is resale high quality stereo components. Glad I found him. I'm really enjoying my ES equipment just need more
 
Thanks BigEICat, I do like those Klipsch 280's they sound I really good. When your used to speakers without much clarity you get to hear what you have been missing.
 
Hmmm...the Akai TT looks nice. Just curious why did you decide against a Sony turntable?
A Sony PS-X65 or PS-X75 would match your system's looks perfectly and they ain't no slouches either.
 
I see. I guess it all boils down to personal preferences but I wouldn't discount the old Sony tables. They were some of the bigger dogs back then and could still compete with some of the best that are being produced today. It would be worth trying one out if you can find one at a decent price and condition. I bought my X-65 off ebay for cheap because the previous owner thought it was messed up but it worked perfectly when I got it. I'd never let go of it. It sounds marvelous and is a thing of beauty IMHO.

Best of luck and enjoyment on your audio trip.
 
Back
Top Bottom