dividebytube
Well-Known Member
heh - after years of not believing the hype, I went and bought an already assembled Bottlehead Seduction phono preamplifier. The reason for my purchase was to check out the 6DJ8 as a phono tube. I've mostly been a 12AX7 user and was curious to hear the difference.
The Deduction had the C4S mods and stock orange drop / xicon capacitors. I originally ran with the EH 6922 tubes but also borrowed from a friend a pair of Amperex 7308s.
The preamp was 'good' with the EHs - perhaps a little dry/etched in the lower treble. But once the 7308s were popped in, the Seduction was pretty much transformed to a much better performing unit.
I've since replaced the coupling capacitors with a pair of .47uF AmpOhm Tin/Oil and a pair of .1uF Auricaps. After a few hours of break-in, they settled down and sound great. So basically - highly recommended! It almost runs with my Threshold FET-10/PC.
The Deduction had the C4S mods and stock orange drop / xicon capacitors. I originally ran with the EH 6922 tubes but also borrowed from a friend a pair of Amperex 7308s.
The preamp was 'good' with the EHs - perhaps a little dry/etched in the lower treble. But once the 7308s were popped in, the Seduction was pretty much transformed to a much better performing unit.
I've since replaced the coupling capacitors with a pair of .47uF AmpOhm Tin/Oil and a pair of .1uF Auricaps. After a few hours of break-in, they settled down and sound great. So basically - highly recommended! It almost runs with my Threshold FET-10/PC.