• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So I wanna make some philly cheese steaks

Back when I was a teen, the town of Garrett Hill in P.A., had a small hole in the wall called Toni's. That was the place where I learned the routine to make a great Cheesesteak. I watched Toni slice the beef on an electric slicer. He would make ten very thin pieces of beef and put them on wax paper. He would do this till he had a stack about 10 inches high. He would wrap that and start the process all over again. I always watched the process many times over the years. I watched the cooking sequence, as everything was all out in the open. The area of the grill was given a good dose of olive oil. The chopped onions were put on the grill first and allowed to cook a minute or two, then the beef was added next to the onions. At the very end the onions and beef were stirred together. He would again add the roll to the flattop, inside down then, after a minute or two the beef, cheese, and the onions were put on the warmed roll, wrapped in white paper and served to you to take home; or eat there at the counter. Their sandwiches beat any other restaurant by a mile. Here in Florida, I have never found any sandwich shop that makes a cheesesteak worth eating, anywhere in Florida. Ahhhh the memories.
Pretty darn similar to how the sandwich shop down the road does them. Its under new ownership as of this year, but the previous owner showed them everything and he does it the same way. Place opened in 1953, the founder's son took it over in 1968 and ran it until last year. Same cooktop has been there since the place opened, and other than some fresh paint and a new countertop it hasn't really changed much in all of that time. They shave ribeye on a deli slicer fresh daily, rolls are delivered every morning from a bakery.
 
I find more variance in the making of a "Philly" is all over the map. But I tend to order them hoping that the end result will taste good.


Like this past Tues, we joined my daughter for a supper (my birthday) in a small town about an hour's drive away, that was new on the market. And, the eating place was in old building. being new with updated prices!

The write up on the restaurant was shared online as the place to-be, and was rated at a 4.8 outta 5; the go-to place to take in. And the prices tended to being on the high side for a "Philly Steak". With tax, around $26. And with gravy...$28.

So, when the order came, it looked different. The inside "stuff" was found within a large hotdog bun, with some of the innards spilling out, so I had the chance to see what was inside...and the contents were...different! The meat looked like thick burned chunks of meat, that had been left way too long on the grill, and they were tough! So, when trying to bite into the bun, the inside spewed out. Each time bitten into, I had to repack the insides. I think I spent more time putting it back together than actually eating it!

I did notice that my daughter's husband had ordered fish, and it too was set-up with a large hotdog bun, but being in one piece of filet, he wasn't struggling as was I trying to keep the in

So, from the above experience of ordering a "Philly Steak", I've found that this choice to eat can range from being minced hamburger, to being thin slices of meat. However, in my last exposure to this item.. it didn't work out well for me!

Q
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom