• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So what are ya listening to tonight?

I'm at work right now, so I'm limited to listening through little external computer speakers. Luckily, no one minds as long as the volume is low.

Alternating between Grant Green's "Born to Be Blue," Sarah Vaughan w/ Clifford Brown (not really a title on this one), and Wayne Shorter's "Night Dreamer."

Not sure what's on the playlist for tonight, yet.

Oh...you have some good'ol, good ones there....especially the Vaughan w/ Clifford Brown.
 
the_stone...

I see you are a Stand up bass player.

I work wth all kinds of networks around the country...many businesses. So when one goes down, I get a call to try and fix remotely or send out a dispatcher. Well a hotel down in North Carolina went down last week so guest could not use their lap tops. I got a call from a man down in Charlotte NC who could not use his computer . Guest support tranferd the call to me. The guy explained to me in a very hostile and rude tone he was the bass player for Roger Waters and they where in the middle of "The Wall" tour and I had better fix the problem right away. I then asked the guy about a few bands like Patrica Barber and a few other modern jazz bands, and the man in a rude tone let me know he has not time, nor does he listen to these new artist...he then said he was 65 years old, and Miles Davis was more to his liking.

I guess your profile listing you are a bass player brought that back to mind, and thought I'd share it with you.

Your day must be good seeing you can listen at work.

...slippers---
 
Last edited:
^ That's awesome story......I usually tell our IT support folks I am the CEO, for some reason that does not work too well.

Currently listening via earplugs @ work...

The Aristocrats...great jazz/rock. Marco Minneman is one of my fav drummers.

the-aristocrats.jpg
 
^ That's awesome story......I usually tell our IT support folks I am the CEO, for some reason that does not work too well.

Currently listening via earplugs @ work...

The Aristocrats...great jazz/rock. Marco Minneman is one of my fav drummers.

the-aristocrats.jpg

Nice! You know, the bass player in that band, Bryan Beller, is someone who I've been following for years. He used to write a blog called the Life of Bryan, and it was all about life as a freelance bassist - playing in Dweezil & Ahmet Zappa's band, playing with Mike Keneally, auditioning for Steve Vai, etc... His website (www.bryanbeller.com) has tons of stuff on it, and I think I've read just about everything he's written. He's also released 2 solo albums, and the first one is amazing (haven't picked up the 2nd yet).

I think that band is on tour now. How are you liking the album?
 
the_stone...

I see you are a Stand up bass player.


...slippers---

I am - I double on string bass & electric. Up until a few years ago, I freelanced full-time. I still work professionally quite a bit, but have scaled back to 1 - 2 gigs per week.

That's a shame that the bassist was so rude; there's never a need for that. Every once in a while I'll be talking with someone about the music business, and they'll be surprised that musicians (even guys who play huge tours and are living in hotel suites bigger than my house) are just like the general population - some are outstandingly nice and generous, others are burned out and crabby from playing the same tunes for 40 years.

Your story actually reminded me of when I was still traveling with the Miller band, although it has nothing to do with IT. We had just played a show in Joplin, MO, and a bunch of us went out to grab a drink at a bar near our hotel. When we tried to get back in with our keycards, we found all the hotel doors locked. When the hotel manager came to let us in, she said "Sorry, but we had to lock the doors from the inside - the police just busted a meth lab in one of the rooms."

Patricia Barber is someone I'm slowly getting familiar with. I have her "Nightclub" album, which I really enjoy, but nothing else. I've heard "Modern Cool" is really good.
 
Nice! You know, the bass player in that band, Bryan Beller, is someone who I've been following for years. He used to write a blog called the Life of Bryan, and it was all about life as a freelance bassist - playing in Dweezil & Ahmet Zappa's band, playing with Mike Keneally, auditioning for Steve Vai, etc... His website (www.bryanbeller.com) has tons of stuff on it, and I think I've read just about everything he's written. He's also released 2 solo albums, and the first one is amazing (haven't picked up the 2nd yet).

I think that band is on tour now. How are you liking the album?

I love the album....I play it constantly. They are on tour but not coming to Seattle......I did see Marco play with Steven Wilson in April on the Grace For Drowning tour. My wife was yelling Marco's name pretty loud at the end and he rewarded her by handing her one of his stics....Its busted up but means more as he actually used it rather than pull a new one from his bag.

picture.php
 
the_stone...

I see you are a Stand up bass player.

I work wth all kinds of networks around the country...many business. So when one goes down, I get a call to try and fix remotely or send out a dispatcher. Well a hotel down in North Carolina went down last week so guest could not use their lap tops. I got a call from a man down in Charlotte NC who could not use his computer . Guest support tranferd the call to me. The guy explained to me in a very hostile and rude tone he was the bass player for Roger Waters and they where in the middle of "The Wall" tour and I had better fix the problem right away. I then asked the guy about a few bands like Patrica Barber and a few other modern jazz bands, and the man in a rude tone let me know he has not time, nor does he listen to these new artist...he then said he was 65 years old, and Miles Davis was more to his liking.

I guess your profile listing you are a bass player brought that back to mind, and thought I'd share it with you.

Your day must be good seeing you can listen at work.

...slippers---

Interesting to hear that the bass player in his band is a douche too...if you really need the Internet all the time spring for a my-fi and be done with it. I've been in IT for 25 years and the stories never change...

Back to the thread topic I finally got my DL-S1 sounding great through the Pass Xono. The secret was loading at 30 ohms. I had tried many other settings but never that one. Magic...finally!

Spinning Goucho now...perfect

Jblnut
 
Interesting to hear that the bass player in his band is a douche too...if you really need the Internet all the time spring for a my-fi and be done with it. I've been in IT for 25 years and the stories never change...

Back to the thread topic I finally got my DL-S1 sounding great through the Pass Xono. The secret was loading at 30 ohms. I had tried many other settings but never that one. Magic...finally!

Spinning Goucho now...perfect

Jblnut

Yeah...in this business you meet all kinds of famous people who can't get online. When it's a hotel involved, most famous people have some one else call. But pro athletes and musicians do it them selves. For the most part, once they tell you who they are, they are very kind. But you would think they would use 4g or whatever service they have installed. But when you got someone and their VPN is not working then it's always the network and not their client...they don't think the problems on their end...always ours. That's when they get nasty. Or if it's a big corporation who outsource their network operations and when it goes down...watch out...some of their engineers can really get nasty.

I only wish I had a Pass...glad you found the magic....congrats.
 
This is in retrospect, since I didn't want to get on the computer last night:

Patricia Barber - "Nightclub" (thanks to SlippersOn)
Mingus Big Band - various tracks off a compilation CD
Mendelssohn - Lieder Ohne Worte
 
Back
Top Bottom