• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soldered banana plugs on Marantz 2245

Just a little FYI for everyone. This week I attempted my first soldering job. I found some banana plugs that are very small. They basically are a long 3cm gold connector that fits very snuggly into the speaker terminals in the back of my 2245. To make a a long story short this fall I bought some new 10 gauge speaker wire and hooked the plugs up to the wires, but I did not solder the plugs on. I had been having issues with the plugs pulling out of the speaker wire so I decided to buy my first soldering iron and attempt my first project into soldering these wires. The soldering went smoothly without any hiccups. I used silver solder with a rosin core.

The point of this post was the incredible increase of quality in sound of the 2245 when I hooked up my redone, soldered cables. I was quite shocked by how much better they sounded after being soldered, then what they sounded like when they were not soldered. Large increase in the detail and depth of the soundstage.

Don't know if anyone has tried this. I am sure someone has. Seems like an easy small project to do and the rewards are quite substantial. IMHO.
 
Register to hide this ad
Are you comparing the performance of a wire that isn't soldered to the connector to one that is? Was the unsoldered wire loosely connected or compressed somehow?
JimB
 
They are banana plugs so they have screws on them. You tighten the screws to the speaker wire...

I was just trying to express how surprised I was at the increase in sound quality.
 
Back
Top Bottom