• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

soldering iron

omaharj

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'd like some input on the various options for a soldering iron. Any advice on solder would be appreciated also (60/40? brands etc.) Most of my soldering has been copper plumbing,hehe. This will be a dedicated use setup. What I'm looking for is the usual-opinions on what's better,tips, where to get it cheap,what's too cheap,what features I should have, all that. I'm only buying this once I might as well make it an informed decision. Thanks in advance RJ

BTW what's a solder sucker and does it come in many flavors.
 
Register to hide this ad
The basic red Weller station is a good buy. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done for around $60. There are higher end models which are temperature regulated. The iron actually monitors the temp temperature, and adjusts current based on that. Those start around $150, and will hold their temp better, heat up faster, and recover faster than the $60 iron. However, if you aren't doing a fair amount of board work it really isn't needed.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?product_id=21-3475&catalog_name=MCMProducts

As for solder, 60/40 rosin core is what you want. Pick up a spool of medium, and a spool of thin gauge stuff. The medium is good for speakers terminals with large wire. The smaller stuff is better suited for working inside amps replacing bulbs, capacitors, etc. Kester is a known reliable name brand, but I have never had a problem with others.

While you are at it, get a small tub of flux. I use rosin paste flux. It helps when attaching small pieces where the solder just doesn't want to flow/stick.

A solder sucker is a good investment if you plan to do any circuit board work.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?product_id=21-8220&catalog_name=MCMProducts

Finally, helping hands with the dual ball joint are immensely...helpful. They are great for holding onto small pieces, wire, or solder while you wield the iron, and manipulate other things with your hands.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?product_id=21-425&catalog_name=MCMProducts
 
Thank you. Very helpful with links and everything! Darn near idiotproof. I'll wait untill Sunday and if no one adds I'll get the weller wlc100.

RJ
 
Don't use plumbers Flux..:D Its corrosive on electronics as well as acid core solder..Use rosin core only..You can't go wrong with a Weller...:thmbsp:
 
I don't use solder suckers anymore. I prefer to use solder wick (desoldering braid).

For circuit boards, a 30 watt pencil is plenty. I don't like any smaller than that, as it takes to long to heat the parts to be soldered. For larger stuff, like soldering 14 ga wire to speaker terminals, I use a 100 watt gun.

60/40 solder is fine, but I use very fine gauge solder. It melts faster and is easier to control the precise amount you need. I don't remember the gauge offhand.

Yes, as above, rosin core solder only, NO ACID FLUX anywhere around electronics. I have not found a need for extra flux, just what is in the solder.
 
60/40,ROSIN core,30 watt minimum,and I've seen solder wicks before. GOT IT!! I think I'm ready.:thmbsp:
Thanks all, RJ
 
I've used 60/40 for years but the last time tried some 63/37 and it seems to be a little easier and cleaner to use but you can't go wrong with 60/40.
Suggestion to get thin for board work is a good one as you don't have to heat the joint for any longer than necessary.
 
I don't use solder suckers anymore. I prefer to use solder wick (desoldering braid)...

Paul, I've always used the sucker. How long does braid "last"? Iow, how many uses per 1/8" of braid, or whatever. I would guess you'd go through it really fast, but then I've never tried it.
 
Something I always keep around in my tool box, fishing tackle box and at my workbench are hemostats. The curved ones make a dandy little vise for holding wire or other small parts for soldering. They also make great heat sinks when soldering in new components.

And I'll leave their uses at that.
 
I prefer desoldering with a flux-braid ribbon myself over the past 20 years.

For an inexpensive soldering station I now use Xytronics ...http://www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/catalog.html I have at least 3 stations of this brand in my shop operating at all times that have been nothing but completely reliable and satisfactory in operation. And replacement parts are a minimum of 2 days away upon request. Nothing more can I say about them--nor should I need to do so.

While Weller was good at one time for the money once Cooper took over I eventually dismissed Weller as a viable brand for reliability and renewal parts issues.

I do have a desoldering station I acquired recently for a song that at some point I will press into play here, but I need to familiarize myself with it, and also get whatever it needs in maintenance parts to bring it back to snuff for general use. I'll post more on this as this process happens. Don't remember the brand at this point. I'll fill y'all in once I get back to it and play around with it some more...
 
Paul, I've always used the sucker. How long does braid "last"? Iow, how many uses per 1/8" of braid, or whatever. I would guess you'd go through it really fast, but then I've never tried it.

I used about 2" to remove four filters, each with 3 leads.
 
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100391613
As my current (and first) project is replacing the capacitors in a pair of EPI 100's, I'm wondering if the model linked above will do what I need. Without any electronic training I don't see myself soldering circuit boards on a weekly basis. I was shocked (:jawdrop:) to see I could spend more on a soldering station than my music system is worth.
Am I passing "frugal" and heading into "too cheap"? Thanks for the knowledgeable help. Thanks RJ
 
Expensive soldering stations are primarily used in two ways...temperature controlled for printed circuit board work and/or with delicate components, and high volume all-day-long production work.

If you need to do once-in-a-while hobbyist soldering, the $25 40 watt pencil from Radio Shack will be absolutely perfect. I've had one for years and it works fine.
 
I spent the better part of yesterday with a "new to me" iron... A #537-S Weller 25 watt pencil iron. It worked like a charm, got hot super fast, recovered in seconds, and was comfortable through 4 or 5 hours of tiny PCB work. For my hobbyist purposes, I believe I've found my iron.
 
I spent the better part of yesterday with a "new to me" iron... A #537-S Weller 25 watt pencil iron. It worked like a charm, got hot super fast, recovered in seconds, and was comfortable through 4 or 5 hours of tiny PCB work. For my hobbyist purposes, I believe I've found my iron.

Generally 25w are great for board work IMO. I've been using a Wall lenk 25w for a long time I bought at Wally world but they don't sell it any more.
Got a couple of them for 9.95 ea. cause they came with 3 tips.
Heats quick and maintains heat well.
I'm sure a station is more versatile but for hobbyist a decent 25w iron is great.
 
MCM Electronics has a sale on stations every once in a while. The Xytronics, mentioned above, seem like good value for the cost. I have a Weller station and a Hakko. Both work competently.
There have been more than a few threads about soldering gear on AK. Just do a search.
I wouldn't go with the cheapest iron you can find. I spent too much time with a Ratshack iron and wonder, now, what the H*** was I punishing myself for?
 
Back
Top Bottom