• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soldering Tips (pardon the pun)

My experience with the bulb has actually been pretty good. I have used mostly solder wick, but have used a bulb on at one or two occasions and found it to require a little skill, but you can get pretty good at snarfing up at least most of that shiny liquid in a split second, and it seems to take much less time than wick. Most of the time it would get all of the joint solder, and a short follow-up with a wick would get anything a little more stubborn, as dr*audio mentioned.

I've seen the same type of solder sucker dr*audio uses in action, but have not had much (if any) experience with it. However, it does look like an easier product to use than the bulb.
 
For desoldering I always keep some wick handy.
But the thing I usually reach for first is a desoldering
iron (pictured below) it does a great job of pulling all
of the solder from the joint. Its nice because you dont get
an interruption in heat at the joint while using the suction
bulb. I have never damaged a joint with it yet.
 

Attachments

  • Desoldering Iron.jpg
    Desoldering Iron.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom