• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

SOLVED: Dual 1219 dust cover for United Audio base: No Hinges?

BigscreenBob

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
<< UPDATE: I have now been enlightened, and the mystery is solved.

I am so accustomed to seeing metal hinges for dust covers that my imagination was not exploring a non-hinge solution!

Seems fair to say that German engineering and manufacturing tend to approach things differently from, say, Japanese or American engineers. >>

A buddy of mine has entrusted me with fixing up his Dual 1219 turntable.

This is my very first excursion into the Dual Universe. I’ve been researching the various 1219 bases — both the Dual-made and the United Audio bases, like this one has.

…but I’m confused about what this United Audio base came with in terms of a dust cover — would it have been a HINGED dust cover???

If so, I’m not sure I see any accommodations on this base that look like it was made for hinges.

But the dust cover with this 1219 — whether it was the original that came with this base or not, we don’t know — has the two little “valleys” cut out of it…for hinges???

My hope is to end up with a way to give this base a hinged dust cover, if that’s feasible.

Can anyone please enlighten me?

- Unhinged in Columbus
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2026.jpeg
    IMG_2026.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2027.jpeg
    IMG_2027.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The extension on the back of the dustcover fits in a slot across the back of the base and is the hinge. Cover carved out to be raised and tilted back and held in place by the base.

Looks like your slot across the back of the base is filled in by that black chunk of stuff. Might need removal to use that dust cover.
 
__57.jpg


Not my pic, just grabbed it off the internet.

Looks like the slots might be to allow the cover to side down inside the wood plinth sides. I don't have one of those covers, so I can't say either way...
 
Last edited:
The extension on the back of the dustcover fits in a slot across the back of the base and is the hinge. Cover carved out to be raised and tilted back and held in place by the base.

Looks like your slot across the back of the base is filled in by that black chunk of stuff. Might need removal to use that dust cover.
Thanks, Blue Shadow.

Now I get it. It’s simplicity itself!

That clearly explains the two little strips of brown felt glued to the base, where the cover touches it when in the raised position.

Maybe the photo is deceiving you, because I’m not finding any “black chunk of stuff.” I’ll wait to investigate that further when the table is removed from the base.

In any case, I now understand how to get the back edge of the dust cover inserted into that slot, to hold it in place up and out of the way.
 
probably.

nbd, we got you going the right way.
Meanwhile, I’m eager to hear how this TT performs after it its rebuild is completed by my repair tech. It currently is not working at all. Motor is not coming to life. It came with a Pickering cartridge (model as yet unknown), fitted with a Pickering DTL-4S stylus. Depending on what model the cartridge is, if there’s a suitable JICO SAS replacement stylus, that might be a worthwhile upgrade.

I’ve never listened to any model of Dual TT, but after reading how the 1219’s fans rave about it, I’m looking forward to checking it out with my own ears.
 
My 1219 has one of these covers. The front part opens up. I don't think I have ever tipped the entire thing up, but it has no hinges, just the slot. I either use the "front door" or take it all the way off.

1715286642785.png
 
Thanks, WillVT. My buddy’s dust cover is simpler; it doesn’t have that “front door” on it. I hadn’t seen any photos before of the type you have. I’ve seen the even more elaborate Dual “lunch box” covers. So many cover options!
 
Base and Dust Cover Options.jpg
My 1219 from Dixie Hi-Fi in 1970 had to be purchased with the deluxe base and cover or I would have to wait for the regular stuff to come in. Very glad I got the deluxe dustcover with that front opening feature.

I do believe Dual tts came in more base, dustcover and how ever else than any other brand. Must be more than half dozen commonly available around the world back then and maybe way more. Some pretty cool 'furniture' type look to them.
 
View attachment 3197132
My 1219 from Dixie Hi-Fi in 1970 had to be purchased with the deluxe base and cover or I would have to wait for the regular stuff to come in. Very glad I got the deluxe dustcover with that front opening feature.

I do believe Dual tts came in more base, dustcover and how ever else than any other brand. Must be more than half dozen commonly available around the world back then and maybe way more. Some pretty cool 'furniture' type look to them.
So many choices!
 
And there’s yet another Dual dust cover option! Yours has piano hinges and a stay hinge, if I’m using the proper hardware terminology.
I just know it as the bread box plinth. I bought the turntable cheap simply for the plinth. Turned out to be very easy to get working so now both rooms run 1229s. Honestly to my ear the 1019s are just as engaging. My son has a 1219 that kills with a Shure v15.
 
<< UPDATE: I have now been enlightened, and the mystery is solved.

I am so accustomed to seeing metal hinges for dust covers that my imagination was not exploring a non-hinge solution!

Seems fair to say that German engineering and manufacturing tend to approach things differently from, say, Japanese or American engineers. >>

A buddy of mine has entrusted me with fixing up his Dual 1219 turntable.

This is my very first excursion into the Dual Universe. I’ve been researching the various 1219 bases — both the Dual-made and the United Audio bases, like this one has.

…but I’m confused about what this United Audio base came with in terms of a dust cover — would it have been a HINGED dust cover???

If so, I’m not sure I see any accommodations on this base that look like it was made for hinges.

But the dust cover with this 1219 — whether it was the original that came with this base or not, we don’t know — has the two little “valleys” cut out of it…for hinges???

My hope is to end up with a way to give this base a hinged dust cover, if that’s feasible.

Can anyone please enlighten me?

- Unhinged in Columbus
Did you ever have any luck finding a hinged dust cover solution? I just picked up a 1219 and while I'm very excited for my new (to me) turntable, I really don't like the non-hinged dust cover. Maybe I'll get used to it, but it seems kinda cheap to me.
 
Did you ever have any luck finding a hinged dust cover solution? I just picked up a 1219 and while I'm very excited for my new (to me) turntable, I really don't like the non-hinged dust cover. Maybe I'll get used to it, but it seems kinda cheap to me.
mdalysd: No, I settled on reluctantly accepting the hingeless cover.
 
Back
Top Bottom