• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Someone Donated an old RCA Stereophonic New Orthophonic Console today at Goodwill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but I highly doubt that you have any $1000+ stereo systems that you made by just picking up random components for $10 here and $20 there at Goodwill, because I know for a fact that even some of the equipment I've picked up at Goodwill or that people have given me over the years that I thought was decent equipment you guys have told me was crappy equipment that wasn't worth anything including my Pioneer SX-1000 TD stereo Receiver I got as a freebie from a friend of mine that owned an ebay store, I only had a few people on here say that my Pioneer Stereo System was actually a decent system the rest of you guys said it was crap. So I'm sorry if I sound a bit skeptical of you but when someone claims that they put together a $1000+ stereo system with just stuff they bought from Goodwill or Salvation Army and only paid $10-$20 a piece for all of those pieces then to me it sounds like you're full of it. No offense.
No offense taken but who are you to judge me or what ive bought through goodwill etc..?ive bought old plaskon kitchen am radios at goodwill for $20 that are worth upwards of $ 500.
Im not going to go through my catalogue of stuff i ought on the cheap through thrift stores otherwise ak would need to update their server even more than they do now.
To tell you the thruth my greatest finds were my fairchild amps and preamp.i bought my first 260 amplifier for $150 and my second one for $500.i then bought my fairchild 248 stereo preamp for $200 which i got from a ak member and i told him what it was worth ut he was happy to see it was going to someone who was going to use it and not flip it.
 
No offense taken but who are you to judge me or what ive bought through goodwill etc..?ive bought old plaskon kitchen am radios at goodwill for $20 that are worth upwards of $ 500.
Im not going to go through my catalogue of stuff i ought on the cheap through thrift stores otherwise ak would need to update their server even more than they do now.
To tell you the thruth my greatest finds were my fairchild amps and preamp.i bought my first 260 amplifier for $150 and my second one for $500.i then bought my fairchild 248 stereo preamp for $200 which i got from a ak member and i told him what it was worth ut he was happy to see it was going to someone who was going to use it and not flip it.
Yes but what I don't understand is why you guys are getting so upset over an old mid-end model RCA Console Stereo from 1958 with a Ceramic Cartridged Record Changer being sold online? Last I Checked half of you guys on here think that these old Consoles with the record Changers are crap anyways because you guys think that record changers damage records!
 
Yes but what I don't understand is why you guys are getting so upset over an old mid-end model RCA Console Stereo from 1958 with a Ceramic Cartridged Record Changer being sold online? Last I Checked half of you guys on here think that these old Consoles with the record Changers are crap anyways because you guys think that record changers damage records!
Oh i wasnt mad about that .i dont care of they sell it online and will ship.i bought my altec 19 speakers from a ak member in edmonton and had them shipped freight to the company i work for in Winnipeg Cost me $100
 
Whos complaining?
ALL OF YOU ARE COMPLAINING! Go and read over your posts on here and you'll find that half the posts on here were about how you think that because websites like eBay and ShopGoodwill have come around your supply of cheap High End Audio Equipment has disappeared! If you don't call that complaining then I'd like to know what its called because last I've checked, that's called complaining!
Also I've found plenty of good vintage items at the goodwill store I work at (even before I started working there) I've found a 1950s vintage Zenith Alarm Clock Radio, the "Bug Eyed" model, I've found for a friend of mine an old Panasonic Stereo Receiver from the 1970s, a set of old Advent Speakers for my friend that I found the old Panasonic Stereo Reciver for, I've found several old Electromecanical clocks, I've found a 1940s vintage Waterbury Alarm Clock, I saw once a 1930s vintage Trutone (Western Auto) Console Radio that was in kind of poor condition but restorable that I had to pass on because I didn't have the room for it, I found an early 1960s Magnavox Console there, I've found several pieces of 1880s Eastlake furniture, and just recently a 1970s vintage Pioneer PL-515 Record Player sold at our store (someone else bought it I didn't because it got sold before I had a chance at it). So really I think you guys are over reacting, and also a probably not going in at the right time, because as the case was for the Pioneer PL-515 Record player was, it was put out earlier in the morning and it basically sold right away.
 
Yes, but that was back in the pre-internet days 1990s and earlier my friend, those good ol' days are already gone they were gone when eBay came into existence back in 2001, I'm sorry but its not really doing you any good to complain about not being able to find high end audio gear at places like Goodwill for $20 when you know that its not going to happen anymore because of websites like eBay and what not. I'm sorry but you guys on here sound like a bunch of crybabies whining because you can't get your high end audio gear for cheap anymore, like what was said in a previous post on here "if you want it badly, you have to pay for it!" And in this case because there's more demand for the high end gear now because of the fact that Analog Audio Equipment is making a huge comeback now like Records and cassettes and what not, and the fact that all of the good high end equipment was the stuff that was made 40+ years ago and the fact that there's only so many 40+ year old pieces of stereo equipment to go around to feed the high demand, then of course the prices are going to go up, and you know what? DEAL WITH IT! Supply and Demand is how our economy works and without it our economy would go bust, the reason why you were able to get your high end stereo equipment for so dirt cheap back in the day was because there was no demand for that kind of equipment, because during that time period, people were desperately trying to get rid of that old audio equipment because the latest and greatest was Digital electronics like CD Players and Rack Systems, that were anything but high end, so I'm sorry to say but your complaints are falling on deaf ears because unlike you guys who are clearly not open to change, I am open to change and the change that is happening right now is that because of the Analog Audio Boom right now, demand for old Analog Audio equipment has skyrocketed and so because of that the days of getting nice stereo equipment for cheap (unless you're lucky and find something that's slipped through the cracks) are long gone and I'm okay with that because I'm not interested in buying extremely high end equipment, I'm happy with mid-end equipment like my Pioneer, which that kind of equipment can still be had for fairly cheap because the demand for that kind of equipment isn't as high.

No, I was just replying to your assumptions that if we tried to sell things at a high price it would just sit on a shelf....when everything thing sold fast because of how large the baby boom generation was and the fact that most of us had deep pockets. Then to your new assumption of people getting rid of analog equipment for digital equipment, that situation only made people hang on to their analog equipment and drive prices up because when CD players came out they sounded terrible and we treated digital the same as a bad sounding transistor radio. Analog lost popularity after record sales dropped off because CD players finally got better. But just like today, compare a better new receiver to a better early nineties receiver and make up your own mind that new does not replace anything. People just don't jump for the newest thing unless it's socially significant to do so for social pier acceptance. But your right, we older guys cry about stuff cause this new world happening is a total let down if you can hang with where I'm coming from. Then your right again, there is no use crying about what was. You just have to learn to live with the disappointments as they get worse.
 
And in this case because there's more demand for the high end gear now because of the fact that Analog Audio Equipment is making a huge comeback now like Records

You mean like the Records that they no longer put out on the floor anymore?
 
I was mainly posting this thread because I thought some of you guys would think it was kind of interesting that someone would of dropped off at Goodwill a late 1950s RCA Console Stereo and just left it outside in the rain, and but as far as mentioning that it was going to be sold online goes I was just saying that because I wanted you guys to know that it didn't end up in the garbage like it could of because of it being left out in the rain and because of it being a console stereo (which the other reason why they try not to sell stuff like Console stereos on the floor is because they take up a lot of space and the store already has a rather limited amount of floorspace in the furniture aisle as it is and an item like a console stereo isn't going to sell right away so by listng it online its not taking up floor space and its getting a larger audience that would be more likely to buy the item than if it were to be on the floor taking up valuable space for weeks on end not getting sold, before finally getting sold.
 
You mean like the Records that they no longer put out on the floor anymore?
They still put records on the floor, when we get them in, but because Records are making a comeback people are holding onto their records and aren't donating them anymore (unless its crappy Lawrence Welk Records or Barry Manilow).
Every Goodwill store I've ever been to has a large Selection of Records (the one I work at not so much, but that's because we don't ever get any in donations anymore, and what we do get in donations are like i said Lawrence Welk Records or Barry Manilow or records by unknown artists, that nobody wants) I once bought a butt-load of 1930s-50s vintage 78 RPM records with old Gospel and Big-Band Music on them (which those are two of my favorite genres of music and early 78 RPM Records with that kind of music on it is extremely hard to find these days).
 
I don't know why we're all getting into a huff.

Yes, the days of finding a dozen nice turntables for $20 at any thrift (although, GW is especially lacking in anything decent audio-wise for the last couple of years) are mostly over unless you get super lucky. I have recently found some really great stuff at the Red White and Blue like a Denon PMA-750 in pretty good shape ( I think it was $30) and a Sansui receiver... it's downstairs... nice small receiver 30 wpc for $9 a really cool Heathkit clock that was only 4 bucks. But the good stuff is really hard to find.

How is that anyone's fault? it is what it is....

Actually shopgoodwill.com is pretty awesome. I got a Legacy Millennium Falcon for a bargain price of $30 and it's 90% complete... worth at least 10 times that amount. Would have never seen one of those locally.

captainclock, you seem like a nice guy and are for sure an otaku for stereo, but you need to live up to the pacifist part a little. Yes, the old guys will tell you to get off the lawn once in a while, but chill. It's 90% good here. You're just upset Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Season 2 is ****ing taking forever to come out... me too.

Sandstrom... no records on the floor anymore? At any given time my local GW stores have TONS of records! 99% crap but hey... there are there. And every once in a while, I find a gem.

The hunt is still thrilling, but it's harder now. Estate sales are where it's at now.
 
No, I was just replying to your assumptions that if we tried to sell things at a high price it would just sit on a shelf....when everything thing sold fast because of how large the baby boom generation was and the fact that most of us had deep pockets. Then to your new assumption of people getting rid of analog equipment for digital equipment, that situation only made people hang on to their analog equipment and drive prices up because when CD players came out they sounded terrible and we treated digital the same as a bad sounding transistor radio. Analog lost popularity after record sales dropped off because CD players finally got better. But just like today, compare a better new receiver to a better early nineties receiver and make up your own mind that new does not replace anything. People just don't jump for the newest thing unless it's socially significant to do so for social pier acceptance. But your right, we older guys cry about stuff cause this new world happening is a total let down if you can hang with where I'm coming from. Then your right again, there is no use crying about what was. You just have to learn to live with the disappointments as they get worse.
Actually If you over price something and no one is willing to pay that price for that item, then yes that item IS going to sit around, Case in point I have listed several vintage items on facebook recently I listed 3 1920s vintage Art Deco Table Lamps that I had found at Goodwill for a couple of bucks a piece and I replaced the original cords on them because they were starting to dry-rot and I even replaced the light socket on one of them because the orignal socket broke, and I have those lamps priced for $20 a piece or $55 for all of them (which is more than reasonable for what they are) and they've been sitting around for over a month!
 
They still put records on the floor, when we get them in, but because Records are making a comeback people are holding onto their records and aren't donating them anymore (unless its crappy Lawrence Welk Records or Barry Manilow).
Every Goodwill store I've ever been to has a large Selection of Records (the one I work at not so much, but that's because we don't ever get any in donations anymore, and what we do get in donations are like i said Lawrence Welk Records or Barry Manilow or records by unknown artists, that nobody wants) I once bought a butt-load of 1930s-50s vintage 78 RPM records with old Gospel and Big-Band Music on them (which those are two of my favorite genres of music and early 78 RPM Records with that kind of music on it is extremely hard to find these days).

You should visit Miami. The thrifts around here often have large amounts of gospel 78s. Not so much big band unless it's Benny Goodman
 
Actually If you over price something and no one is willing to pay that price for that item, then yes that item IS going to sit around, Case in point I have listed several vintage items on facebook recently I listed 3 1920s vintage Art Deco Table Lamps that I had found at Goodwill for a couple of bucks a piece and I replaced the original cords on them because they were starting to dry-rot and I even replaced the light socket on one of them because the orignal socket broke, and I have those lamps priced for $20 a piece or $55 for all of them (which is more than reasonable for what they are) and they've been sitting around for over a month!

Have you tried using "best offer?" I have started using it and more often than not, I'll get someone to bite. I don't sell audio stuff on ebay much, but when I do, I sell Dos Equis... sorry.. lol Couldn't help myself.
 
I don't know why we're all getting into a huff.

Yes, the days of finding a dozen nice turntables for $20 at any thrift (although, GW is especially lacking in anything decent audio-wise for the last couple of years) are mostly over unless you get super lucky. I have recently found some really great stuff at the Red White and Blue like a Denon PMA-750 in pretty good shape ( I think it was $30) and a Sansui receiver... it's downstairs... nice small receiver 30 wpc for $9 a really cool Heathkit clock that was only 4 bucks. But the good stuff is really hard to find.

How is that anyone's fault? it is what it is....

Actually shopgoodwill.com is pretty awesome. I got a Legacy Millennium Falcon for a bargain price of $30 and it's 90% complete... worth at least 10 times that amount. Would have never seen one of those locally.

captainclock, you seem like a nice guy and are for sure an otaku for stereo, but you need to live up to the pacifist part a little. Yes, the old guys will tell you to get off the lawn once in a while, but chill. It's 90% good here. You're just upset Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Season 2 is ****ing taking forever to come out... me too.

Sandstrom... no records on the floor anymore? At any given time my local GW stores have TONS of records! 99% crap but hey... there are there. And every once in a while, I find a gem.

The hunt is still thrilling, but it's harder now. Estate sales are where it's at now.
Well The only thing is that I'm not trying to start anything with anyone here, I'm just trying to defend myself against people attacking me for something I can't help that's happening, I'm just posting what I see and don't see. And you know what, nobody even bothered to take notice of the fact that I mentoned that I'm getting promoted to a better job at work and congradulate me for that fact. I'm sorry but it seems that some people on here are more concerned about getting cheap high end equipment than they are about a fellow ak'er getting a promotion at work and or just wanting to discuss what interesting things we've found at the thrift store (which is what I was hoping my thread was going to lead to but it didn't and instead went the opposite direction).
 
So wait... GW will ship a CONSOLE?

That's pretty cool. I'm in the market for a very cool console. I will start looking. As long as they don't put ridiculous prices on them. Around here, some folks think consoles are made out of gold. I saw a Magnavox console that needed resto in the local CL for $800. I emailed saying that he was being very generous, but I wouldn't charge him anywhere near $800 to take it away... I would do it for $400... he didn't write back for some reason...
 
Have you tried using "best offer?" I have started using it and more often than not, I'll get someone to bite. I don't sell audio stuff on ebay much, but when I do, I sell Dos Equis... sorry.. lol Couldn't help myself.
I'm not using ebay, I'm using facebook, which works like Craigslist, so there's no auction or "buy it now" feature, its just list your item and name your own price and hope someone bites.
 
Well The only thing is that I'm not trying to start anything with anyone here, I'm just trying to defend myself against people attacking me for something I can't help that's happening, I'm just posting what I see and don't see. And you know what, nobody even bothered to take notice of the fact that I mentoned that I'm getting promoted to a better job at work and congradulate me for that fact. I'm sorry but it seems that some people on here are more concerned about getting cheap high end equipment than they are about a fellow ak'er getting a promotion at work and or just wanting to discuss what interesting things we've found at the thrift store (which is what I was hoping my thread was going to lead to but it didn't and instead went the opposite direction).

OK...well congratulations on the new position.

There is actually a huge "things we have found at the thrift store" thread already.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom