• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Something just struck me as funny...

Treker

Super Member
I was just looking at a Marantz 2238B that was for sale on eBay, and something in the description struck me as funny. Here is the description. Read it and see if it strikes you the same way.

"Catering to all sound enthusiasts, the Marantz 2238B receiver offers an all round audio-visual experience. With a power bandwidth of 20Hz - 20kHz, it plays a wide range of frequencies. This Marantz receiver ensures precise reproduction of audio signal with a damping factor of 55dB. Having a hormonal distortion 0.08% at the rate of 8 ohms, this home audio receiver plays clear music even at a high voltage. The input impedance of 33k in this Marantz receiver prevents electrification or current overload damage. You can also tune into FM and AM with this home audio receiver which provides clear signal reception having a signal to noise ratio of 73dB mono and 50db. The Marantz 2238B, with a power output of 48RMS, plays loud audio."

"Hormonal distortion." Is that somehow related to PMS? And is a 0.08% rate good? Just curious...
 
Register to hide this ad
I was just looking at a Marantz 2238B that was for sale on eBay, and something in the description struck me as funny. Here is the description. Read it and see if it strikes you the same way.

"Catering to all sound enthusiasts, the Marantz 2238B receiver offers an all round audio-visual experience. With a power bandwidth of 20Hz - 20kHz, it plays a wide range of frequencies. This Marantz receiver ensures precise reproduction of audio signal with a damping factor of 55dB. Having a hormonal distortion 0.08% at the rate of 8 ohms, this home audio receiver plays clear music even at a high voltage. The input impedance of 33k in this Marantz receiver prevents electrification or current overload damage. You can also tune into FM and AM with this home audio receiver which provides clear signal reception having a signal to noise ratio of 73dB mono and 50db. The Marantz 2238B, with a power output of 48RMS, plays loud audio."

"Hormonal distortion." Is that somehow related to PMS? And is a 0.08% rate good? Just curious...

it struck me as if the lucky new owner actually tried to use the thing, it would probably blow up. Especially due to the hormonal imbalance
 
How old is it, Hormonal distortion usually starts after 40 years old:D

Well, I would guess a Marantz 2238B would have been born in about 1978 or so. That would make it about 34 years old. Should be good for a few more years yet I would think.
 
The visual experience of hormonal distortion at a high voltage preventing electrification while playing loud audio, must be something. :scratch2:
 
Wow! I have a Marantz 2238b myself. I better check it for Hormonal imbalance. LOL!
I know of music and movies are too loud, I get a hormonal imbalance.:D
Some of that other stuff he was saying is a bit, how shall I put this....over the top?
I love my 2238b and will never part with it, but I wouldn't use the description that guy did to describe it.
 
you guys may not appreciate this, but quite frankly thats what I hear when I see a lot of snooty audio mag reviews, talking about the blackness of sound and all that sort of stuff.
 
I always steer clear of a "home audio receiver (that) plays clear music even at... high voltage".
I tend you to stick to amps that do not provide opportunities for electrical shock...

(I know- it's not the volts- it's the amperes- but I've been shocked by even low voltage amps)
 
Someone posted the link to that sale last week.. no doubt a google translation..

I looked at the eBay listing for this item again this morning (I was curious what it sold for... $406.00!), and it does look like he chose the default description that eBay provides when he listed the item, and that was what I cut and pasted into my first post. The additional detail that he added himself was much more coherent, so I have to give him some credit for that at least. In any case, it was still very funny. Whoever did write the description originally obviously had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.
 
Ya know though... I was at a flea market the other day, and there was a good looking Marantz 2238 for sale, fairly cheap.. seeing that final sale price, kinda wish I would have bought it... Could have made a nice little profit..
 
Ya know though... I was at a flea market the other day, and there was a good looking Marantz 2238 for sale, fairly cheap.. seeing that final sale price, kinda wish I would have bought it... Could have made a nice little profit..

Yeah, but it may have needed quite a bit of work to get back into "hormonal balance".

Al. Wise
 
Back
Top Bottom