• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sometime you just get lucky (Wharfedale E50 mid range replacement success)

kfa888

Addicted Member
So i traded for the Wharfedale E50's about a year ago. Cool speakers but the mids in both were not right. One was toast and had a bad repair and the other was messed up too. I had some Pioneer mid drivers in there that sounded OK. They were the best out of all th mids i had at the time. A while back I got some M&K sats that had the wrong midwoofers in them but sounded great. They also came with the stock M&K drivers. I put those back to stock and ended up with these drivers. Flash forward many months and i am cleaning out the speaker closet and realized the take outs were perfect drop in size for the E50 mids. So i popped on in to see. WOW, just freaking WOW. Speakers sound GREAT. I must have tried 6-8 different mids in these as i really wanted to use / hear them.

Sometimes you get lucky.

Mids came from these speakers (the ones in the cabs)

1103746673_H7w9B-L.jpg


1104255275_gr3nZ-L.jpg


Mounted in the E50's and sounding fantastic.

DSCF8259-L.jpg


these have very cool steel grills that have cutouts for the L-pads so it looks good with the cover on.

431474182_Z4ufR-XL.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi,

Regarding the E series, all the sets I have were still stock when I received them. they had plastic grills covering the mids. These were glued to the mid's basket around the edge of the surrounds.

Because of the fact that the mid's cones often come unstuck from their surrounds, I have carefully removed the plastic covers from the baskets in order to facilitate repair. (Simple job - small scissors but through the middle of the plastic with ease, then I removed small pieces one by one by hand until most was gone. Need to be quite careful, as sometime the plastic is adhered to the surround and can tear it if forced.)

I then used a small amount of the UK version of Tacky Glue to reseal the cones to the surrounds. Also put a thin coating of it over the surrounds to sure them up., using my finger to smooth it out evenly.

Then left to dry for a bit, and so far, so good!

It is also well worth taking each mid out and checking to ensure the spiders have not separated from the baskets. This is common too.

Sorry for the long winded message, just thought it was worth getting my experience out there.

Dan
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom