• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sometimes you just have to improvise

The better quality material (relative) is considerably thicker, has and embossed grain texture and better look to the print:

VinylWood.jpg


The colors are different, but the contact paper comes in one woodgrain color while the better material offers several different simulated wood types, probably each about as unidentifiable in species as the next. As I mentioned, that on the left is supposed to be "walnut" grain.
 
Very nice job on this , i have a Marantz that needs a good cleaning like you have done on this unit . Ive always been scared to get the electronics wet though ?
Good job
 
It looks great. I am going to order a couple of rolls and try them out on a couple of mine. If it looks as good as you got it to look...then this might be a good idea for me.

If it looks good on the 450...then maybe I will try it on AnalogChads TT he brought me. His is peeling off almost on all the seams.
 
Is there anything attached to the inner sides of the sides? I want to replace with solid wood if not I have some nice ply with furniture grade veneer then Ill cap the edges with solid walnut.
 
One thing I like to mention or add to this inspiring thread:
The inside, is left alone except I spray all the raw exposed edges of the plywood with flat black spray bomb before I cover with the veneer or vinyl. Leaving the over spray on the inside of the bonnet.
It will look like the factory did it.
Thinking of redoing the damaged bonnet of a SX-1010 with this:
https://www.amazon.com/VVIVID-Natur...54870&sr=8-15&keywords=vvivid+vinyl+wrap+wood
I wouldn't be the first but I think It would look killer.
 
I think that would look great also zebulon1. I have seen some Marantz cases on Ebay that are finished in piano black and they look cool as well, not cheap though.
 
i had one case about the same on an 880. i put in an oven to dry it at about 180 degrees i found out that the original glue was some sort of hot melt stuff as it started to fall apart. as it was shakey anyway i used this to my advantage and easily removed the rusty grille. peeling that damnable vinyl off was quite a chore as it started to delaminate the plywood top.when it was all removed i reglued every thing including the de lamination's using a syringe loaded with titebond 3 and clamps even clothes pins in some places. i filled the divots with auto body filler and started block sanding it. no veneer available here i ended up spray painting it a satin black. believe it or not it actually looked nice when it was done! no other viable option here but its amazing what CAN be done. with some thoughtful effort. you've done well! due to the humidity here at times i used clear polyurethane to seal the insides especially the particle board sides before final finish
 
Back
Top Bottom