• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sonab OA-12 tweeter replacement.

markd323

Igor
I have a pair of Sonab OA-12s and I'm looking to replace the tweeters. The two original MT20HFC tweeters are 16 ohm running in parallel. I was thinking of replacing them with a pair of Peerless 4 ohm CT-62s running in series. Good idea? Bad idea? Any and all feedback is welcome.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm guessing you got the idea from this page? I think we have a few Sonab owners here, but they were never a super popular brand in the US. At any rate, I'd say if you can do it in a non-destructive way, go for it; you don't really have anything to lose except the purchase price of the replacement tweeters.
 
If the original tweeters are still working properly, then I would just recommend switching to a Solen brand capacitor in the cross-over to increase their output level a wee bit and extend their high frequency response. The Sonab OA series sound was very much defined by the those tweeters and changing to different tweeters would change their sound character quite a bit. The Sonab designers considered both the frequency response curves and dispersion characteristics of those tweeters to get the desired sound field. It would be like swapping out the tweeters in a Dynaco A-25 or Original Large Advent and expecting the sound to be similar to the original design.

If the original tweeters are blown, then disregard the above diatribe entirely! (lol)
 
Back
Top Bottom