• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Song titles/lyrics that appear in other songs.

I'll post the lyrics:
Berry Rides Again:
Words and music by John Kay

Well thinkin' of my school days, I remember Maybeline
Used to dance with her all night she was little sweet sixteen
Her brother used to chase me
He thought I did, but I never could
I used to call him Little Queenie
His name was Johnnie B. Good

I used to hold her 'til I was older
Then I got bolder,
Her brother used to scold her
I left there in the mornin'
Went back to Memphis, Tennessee
You know her brother never found me
And that's all right with me

I went to New York City to find what could be found
Just for kicks down sixty six, stopped in L.A. Town
Yes I went to California just to see what I could see
Well nobody knew just where I was
And that's alright with me
You know I met a girl named Carol
And her girlfriend sweet Nadine,
Played the rock n' roll music
Used to kiss me in between
Roll over Beethoven that happened to be her favorite song
But we never did much rollin'
I didn't stay there long

I used to hold her and try to mold her
Somebody told her, Nadine and I were bolder
I left there in the mornin'
Went back to Memphis, Tenneessee
You know, I never saw her face again
And that's alright with me

Repeat

and
You Can't Do That:
My babe don't buy me presents
How can you laugh when you know I'm down?
Beep-beep, beep-beep, yeah!

I got something to say
That might cause you pain
If I catch you talking
To that boy again
I'm gonna let you down (Yes, yes, you're gonna lose
that girl)
And leave you flat (Gonna let you down and leave you
flat)
Because I told you before (Good day sunshine)
Oh, you can't do that (It's been a hard day's night)

Well, it's the second time
I've caught you talking to him (I wanna hold your hand)
Do I have to tell you one more time
I think it's a sin?
I think I'll let you down (Yes, yes, you're gonna lose
that girl)
And leave you flat (Gonna let you down and leave you
flat)
Because I told you before (Good day sunshine)
Oh, you can't do that (Day tripper, yeah!)

Paperback writer, yeah!

Everybody's green
'Cos I'm the one who stole your love
But if it's seen
Me talking that way
They'd laugh in my face

So, please listen to me
If you want to stay mine (Would you like to know a
secret?)
I can't help my feelings
I'd go out of my mind
I'm gonna let you down (Yes, yes, I'm gonna leave you
flat)
And leave you flat (Gonna let you down and leave you
flat)
Because I told you before
I can't believe in yesterday

My babe doesn't buy me presents
 
When Smokey Sings (homage to Smokey Robinson)

'Sweet Home Alabama' references Neil Young's 'Southern Man' (in a less than flattering way)
 
Leeroy Stagger / George's Blues

Kris said
Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose
Well the only freedom folks have around here got
comes from handguns and cheap booze
 
Last edited:
"I was 21 years when I wrote this song/I'm 22 now, but I won't be for long"

Billy Bragg quoted the first lines of the Simon of Garfunkle's song "Leaves That Are Green" as the first lines of his song "A New England."
 
Self referenced

Sting referenced a couple:
the lyrics from 'Every Little Thing She Does':"Do I have to tell the story of a thousand rainy days since we first met? It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet" also appears on Ten Summoners Tales and on the album Synchronicity - I wonder if he get's double royalties?

And unrelatedly, Zappa's Dinah-Moe Humm is referenced by Aerosmith in 'Girl Keeps Coming Apart'- "Buns up and kneelin' I was wheelin' and a dealin'".
Neither of these is mentioned on the useful-ish site http://www.amiright.com/real/songartist/ which I must register to...
 
The king of songs that quote other songs:

You and me, we come from different worlds
You like to laugh at me when I look at other girls
Sometimes you're crazy then you wonder why
I'm such a baby 'cause the Dolphins make me cry
But there's nothing I can do
I've been looking for a girl like you
You look at me, you got nothing left to say
I'm gonna pout at you until I get my way
I won't dance, you won't sing
I just wanna love you but you wanna wear my ring
But there's nothing I can do
I only wanna be with you
You can call me a fool
I only wanna be with you
Put on a little Dylan
Sittin' on a fence
* I said, "That line is great" you asked me what it meant by
* Said I shot a man named Gray
Took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks, and when she died it came to me
I can't help it if I'm lucky
I only wanna be with you
Ain't Bobby so cool
I only wanna be with you
Yeah I'm tangled up in blue
I only wanna be with you
You can call me a fool
Only wanna be with you
Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever end
You get so mad at me when I go out with my friends
Sometimes you're crazy then you wonder why
I'm such a baby, yeah, the Dolphins make me cry
But there's nothing I can do
I only wanna be with you
You can call me a fool
I only wanna be with you
Yeah I'm tangled up in blue
I only wanna be with you
 
The Velvet Underground title "I'll Be Your Mirror," quoted in the chorus of "You Wear Those Eyes" by The Cars:

Just take your time
It's not too late
I'll be your mirror
You won't hesitate​
 
Sting referenced a couple:
the lyrics from 'Every Little Thing She Does':"Do I have to tell the story of a thousand rainy days since we first met? It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet" also appears on Ten Summoners Tales and on the album Synchronicity.

Also at the end of 'Love is the Seventh Wave' he references 'Every Breath You Take'.

Different artist:

On Simon and Garfunkel's 'Save the Life of My Child' (Bookends), Art can be heard singing, with lots of reverb, 'hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again', which is a lyric from 'Sounds of Silence'
 
Also at the end of 'Love is the Seventh Wave' he references 'Every Breath You Take'.

Different artist:

On Simon and Garfunkel's 'Save the Life of My Child' (Bookends), Art can be heard singing, with lots of reverb, 'hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again', which is a lyric from 'Sounds of Silence'

And thinking of Simon & Garfunkel, Rush semi-refersnce them with 'And the words of the Prophet are written on the studio walls, concert halls"
 
The king of songs that quote other songs:

You and me, we come from different worlds
You like to laugh at me when I look at other girls
Sometimes you're crazy then you wonder why
I'm such a baby 'cause the Dolphins make me cry...


Sorry, not even close. Here are three songs that outquote all the others mentioned combined:

Life Is A Rock - Reunion
I Dig Rock and Roll Music - Peter, Paul & Mary
Raised On Radio - Journey
 
Last edited:
song 'Pair of Brown Eyes', originally by the Pogues, my fave Peter Case, has in lyrics:
'...while Ray and Philomena sang of my elusive dreams...'
reference to Ray Lynum / Philomena Begley, Irish singers
'My Elusive Dreams' is one of their actual songs.

song also refers to 'on the jukebox Johnny sang about this thing called love'; no idea whom that refers to.

I believe "A Thing Called Love" was a Johnny Cash song.
 
I believe "A Thing Called Love" was a Johnny Cash song.

Correct. "A Thing Called Love," written by Jerry Reed, was a hit for Johnny Cash in 1972. The song's title was borrowed for a 1993 Peter Bogdanovich film about struggling songwriters in Nashville. It starred Samantha Mathis, Sandra Bullock, Dermot Mulroney, and the late River Phoenix. The film's title was changed slightly to "The Thing Called Love." Cash's song is on the soundtrack.
 
We have a string of songs referencing each other with:

Niel Youngs's Southern Man.

Sweet home Alabama Referencing Southern Man.

Kid Rock's Sweet home Alabama All Summer Long referencing Sweet Home Alabama.

I thought I recently heard a song my daughter was listening to that referenced "American Pie" but I can't recall the song. That would be another string of course.
 
I believe "A Thing Called Love" was a Johnny Cash song.

thanks! gives me some closure!
not a big deal but I did wonder about that.

for some reason never thought of JCash as 'Johnny'. too many other Johnnys around I guess. (Mathis, Horton, Winter, Paycheck, Come-lately, Guitar...)
 
Squiggy's Wedding Day By Lenny and the Squigtones. Mentions a list of R+R characters such as, Big Bopper, Duke of Earl, Long Tall Sally. The song is on an album in conjuction with the Lavern and Shirlie tv show.
 
Also at the end of 'Love is the Seventh Wave' he references 'Every Breath You Take'.

Different artist:

On Simon and Garfunkel's 'Save the Life of My Child' (Bookends), Art can be heard singing, with lots of reverb, 'hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again', which is a lyric from 'Sounds of Silence'

Just noticed that "We'll be Together" also references "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" - I'm sure Sting has figured out he get's twice as many royalties if he gets airplay for the one song :music:
 
Don McLean's classic 'American Pie' (supposedly an ode to the death of Buddy Holly)
mentions birds flying 'eight miles high', and the Sergeants, who 'played a marching tune'; references of course to the Byrds and the Beatles / Sergeant Pepper.
also refers to 'book of love' (50s song) and 'Jack Flash' (Rolling Stones)
 
Back
Top Bottom