• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sonus Faber Extrema -- any owners?

bsandovalb

Active Member
Hey guys... a pair of these lovely speakers is for sale locally... I am tempted... you know how the song goes.. you do not need it, but you want to find them a good home...

Will probably schedule an audition, meanwhile, any owners that would like to share their experience?... pros and cons, how do you like them, compared against...?...

I am tempted as they would make a very nice big bookshelfs speakers to ¨round up¨ the current line up...

Currently have: Usher BE10, Martin Logan CLSII, JBL 4333A, and working on the cabinets for a fully reconditioned Altec Duplex 605b...

Thanks for any feedback!
 
Register to hide this ad
What cabinet plans are you using for your Altec 605Bs? Thanks
HI there... just planning on using the altec 612A cabinets.... or perhaps the open baffle design (see attached pic from the web).. oh man, have not decided yet!
 

Attachments

  • YS605p_back.jpg
    YS605p_back.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 15
  • YS605p_back_closeup.jpg
    YS605p_back_closeup.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 14
  • YS605p_front.jpg
    YS605p_front.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 14
  • YS605p_side.jpg
    YS605p_side.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 16
Wow very cool! Sorry, not trying to thread crap. I have a pair of 605B also, that are currently in some rugged type enclosures (wider, rather than tall like the 612A). I'm not sure what model the cabinet is. I'd like to put them in something nicer at some point, as well as redo the crossovers. Those open baffles are definitely nice looking and would weigh less. There's definitely something special about that Altec sound! Sounds like you have a great ear, and all of those are nice speaker choices.
 
Just bought a pair of Extremas. The best speakers I’ve had in my home. Dynamic, full-bodied, great imaging and quite beautiful. Highly recommended.
 
Heard a pair of Extremas back in the 90's when they came out. Fantastic speakers! They were using Krell or Mark Levinsen mono blocks to drive them. The best words I can use to describe the sound was EFFORTLESS. Beautiful but masculine looking speakers that say: I mean business!
 
Question about amplification. Many say the Extremas need gobs of power. To me they sound great with 100 watts of tube power and an 80 wpc solid state that doubles down to 160 into 4 ohms. I also just bought a Class D Purifi which also sounds great with them putting out 200 wpc into 8 ohms. Can anyone tell me what I may be missing by not driving them with hundreds of watts, with something like Krell or ML?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom