• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony CD Player Model CX355 question

Kuku

Member
I just bought a used 300 CD Sony Model CX355 to replace my old Sony CX50 disc player which stops in the middle of a song, then skips to different discs every few seconds right after that. I got fed up, even after bringing it to a shop to get serviced. They told me that nothing was wrong with it, because it wasn't doing it in front of them. Well, it does for me lol
Anyway, back to the CX355. In the manual, it says that within every professionally recorded CD, there is a small folder within the disc that has the disc name and artist. It also states that the player will read this information and display it on screen as the disc plays. Well it doesn't. my question is whoever is reading this, if you are familiar with the Sony 300 disc player, model CX355, is there something special I have to do, to have it display the name of the disc on the screen, or do I have to type it all in manually. I've tried many things so far, but am I missing a step? To type in names of 300 discs is quite a bit of work. I will do it if there is no other method. Thank you for your time.
 
Register to hide this ad
I think some discs automatically have that info encoded and some, mostly older, ones appear not to have it. I have the original CD of the Eagles Greatest hits vol 1 and it has no name info encoded on it. When I downloaded it to my computer I had to manually name every track and the album itself.

i had a similar Sony CD player and it developed the same issue about a month ago. Idk what was wrong with it but it was very annoying. Mine found the trash immediately after I found a better model at sal Val for $5.
 
I think some discs automatically have that info encoded and some, mostly older, ones appear not to have it. I have the original CD of the Eagles Greatest hits vol 1 and it has no name info encoded on it. When I downloaded it to my computer I had to manually name every track and the album itself.

I had a similar Sony CD player and it developed the same issue about a month ago. Idk what was wrong with it but it was very annoying. Mine found the trash immediately after I found a better model at sal Val for $5.
Thank you for your answer. I will give the 50 disc player to my buddy because he seems to think that its a possible capacitor problem. We will see what happens. Im not ready to chuck that one yet..Love those 2 Eagles CD's...have them both also.
 
Last edited:
I just bought a used 300 CD Sony Model CX355 to replace my old Sony CX50 disc player which stops in the middle of a song, then skips to different discs every few seconds right after that. I got fed up, even after bringing it to a shop to get serviced. They told me that nothing was wrong with it, because it wasn't doing it in front of them. Well, it does for me lol
Anyway, back to the CX355. In the manual, it says that within every professionally recorded CD, there is a small folder within the disc that has the disc name and artist. It also states that the player will read this information and display it on screen as the disc plays. Well it doesn't. my question is whoever is reading this, if you are familiar with the Sony 300 disc player, model CX355, is there something special I have to do, to have it display the name of the disc on the screen, or do I have to type it all in manually. I've tried many things so far, but am I missing a step? To type in names of 300 discs is quite a bit of work. I will do it if there is no other method. Thank you for your time.

Metadata is the term for it, not all CDs have the tracked named and listed in the metadata.

For the most part they didn’t start to add track info to CDs until the end when MP3 came out.

This was Sonys 1st MP3 CDP and it would read the metadata on the discs and display it. Was about 2002 when the track names on CDs got big. It was short lived due to MP3.

It’s a poke and a pull to know what CD will have the data on it. It’s always fun seeing it tho.
 

Attachments

  • CD95B6BB-8549-4B12-893D-8E57D11E4D44.jpeg
    CD95B6BB-8549-4B12-893D-8E57D11E4D44.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 4
  • E403D5DB-1D77-4052-A9F3-49F856C5F7AD.jpeg
    E403D5DB-1D77-4052-A9F3-49F856C5F7AD.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4
I just bought a used 300 CD Sony Model CX355 to replace my old Sony CX50 disc player which stops in the middle of a song, then skips to different discs every few seconds right after that. I got fed up, even after bringing it to a shop to get serviced. They told me that nothing was wrong with it, because it wasn't doing it in front of them. Well, it does for me lol
Anyway, back to the CX355. In the manual, it says that within every professionally recorded CD, there is a small folder within the disc that has the disc name and artist. It also states that the player will read this information and display it on screen as the disc plays. Well it doesn't. my question is whoever is reading this, if you are familiar with the Sony 300 disc player, model CX355, is there something special I have to do, to have it display the name of the disc on the screen, or do I have to type it all in manually. I've tried many things so far, but am I missing a step? To type in names of 300 discs is quite a bit of work. I will do it if there is no other method. Thank you for your time.

Great avatar too!
 
Metadata is the term for it, not all CDs have the tracked named and listed in the metadata.

For the most part they didn’t start to add track info to CDs until the end when MP3 came out.

This was Sonys 1st MP3 CDP and it would read the metadata on the discs and display it. Was about 2002 when the track names on CDs got big. It was short lived due to MP3.

It’s a poke and a pull to know what CD will have the data on it. It’s always fun seeing it tho.
Thank you jobrewer1983, I appreciate your information very much. Looks like I will have to type in each cd name manually. The unit has an input for a keyboard on it's front bottom left. Cheers to you!
 
Last edited:
What started off as a CD player question, turns out to be a cat show lol.:rflmao:
Moonshine, Snarfy, Lightning bug (AKA Bug) Tinkerbell,(AKA Llittle girl) Oreo and Mufassa...All rescues.

Hahaha my heart just bursted with a cuteness overload lol and such great names too!!! Ours are rescues too! :) I’ll tag you in the car thread so we don’t mess up the CD questions :) sorry about that!!
 
Back
Top Bottom